2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS

ks777

Record Breaker
I really wanted Wakaba to make the Olympic team but at the same time Kaori deserves to go also.. I am torn.. I wish they had 3 spots.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I love both Wakaba and Kaori, and I still want Wakaba :)cry:) to go more, but I think it’s fairer to send Kaori instead. Even as a big Satoko fan, I think Kaori did have a case for the gold at Skate America, which would’ve let her go to the GPF. But I won’t stress this topic too much.

Also congrats to Rika Kihira for landing all those 3As!!! It’s so great to see that she has finally found her stride in that jump, and completing the other elements afterwards as well. Bronze at seniors is such a great accomplishment.

And I am so happy for Satoko’s win. Say what you want haters, but Satoko has worked very hard to be here. Even though it may seem hard to believe, she has constantly been trying to improve her jumps. In almost every interview I’ve seem where they ask her what she wants to work on, she says jumps first. Although her jumps are still nowhere near being the best, her consistency with them and her beautiful non-jump elements is what makes her a star.

Great redemption for Mai. I think she knows now that she won’t go the Olympics anyway, so she went all out in that performance. I hope that Mai can somehow go to 4CC though.

I want to give a separate round of applause to Rika Hongo for continuing to fight. Her SP was absolutely amazing, and though she wasn’t able to replicate the success in her FS, she was still on fire. This was a good competition for her.

I haven’t watched Yuna or Marin yet. For Marin, does anyone have a non-youtube link? All the videos for her FS this season are blocked on youtube.

Eclair

Medalist
I love both Wakaba and Kaori, and I still want Wakaba :)cry:) to go more, but I think it’s fairer to send Kaori instead. Even as a big Satoko fan, I think Kaori did have a case for the gold at Skate America, which would’ve let her go to the GPF. But I won’t stress this topic too much.

Also congrats to Rika Kihira for landing all those 3As!!! It’s so great to see that she has finally found her stride in that jump, and completing the other elements afterwards as well. Bronze at seniors is such a great accomplishment.

And I am so happy for Satoko’s win. Say what you want haters, but Satoko has worked very hard to be here. Even though it may seem hard to believe, she has constantly been trying to improve her jumps. In almost every interview I’ve seem where they ask her what she wants to work on, she says jumps first. Although her jumps are still nowhere near being the best, her consistency with them and her beautiful non-jump elements is what makes her a star.

Great redemption for Mai. I think she knows now that she won’t go the Olympics anyway, so she went all out in that performance. I hope that Mai can somehow go to 4CC though.

I want to give a separate round of applause to Rika Hongo for continuing to fight. Her SP was absolutely amazing, and though she wasn’t able to replicate the success in her FS, she was still on fire. This was a good competition for her.

I haven’t watched Yuna or Marin yet. For Marin, does anyone have a non-youtube link? All the videos for her FS this season are blocked on youtube.
this video of Marin's FS is playing for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirM_gUmBlA

eugene

Spectator
Wakaba: I haven't been able to jump the Salchow and it was the biggest regret that I failed to do it here today, but I am happy that I did all the other jumps. (she also said she wants to go the olympics, but i don't understand the sentence that follows)

Here is what Wakaba said after giving a comment for her jumps in FS.
"I have a yearning for taking the olympic spot. But regardless of the selection result, I could know that I can improve more through this FS and this would be beneficial for my future."

I think she might miss the spot to fight in Pyongchang, and it gets my heart really hurts.
But she is getting more experience to be a mentally mature competitor, and she is only 16. I really hope she will be contender in Beijing 2022 with much more rigid mental strength!!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Here is what Wakaba said after giving a comment for her jumps in FS.
"I have a yearning for taking the olympic spot. But regardless of the selection result, I could know that I can improve more through this FS and this would be beneficial for my future."

I think she might miss the spot to fight in Pyongchang, and it gets my heart really hurts.
But she is getting more experience to be a mentally mature competitor, and she is only 16. I really hope she will be contender in Beijing 2022 with much more rigid mental strength!!

Thank you for the addition! and yes she definitely has another chance for Beijing and even probably 2026! She has so much potential.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Awesome competition :hap57:

Rika Kihira impressed me a lot, but Mai and Kaori makes me cry :sad21:

Whoever goes to olympics, i think that Kaori deserve it but Mai and Wakaba have more potential, so have to choose between them is so wrong anyway.

champs

Final Flight
Glad Fuji TV (with its BS and CS channels) aired all the competitors so I could watch it from the beginning to the end in one go.

some random thoughts:

Though her placement was as low as last year in the free skate, I really enjoyed the freeskate by my sentimental favorite Yuka Nagai, she's getting her jumps back despite her busy college life and her coach change.

I discovered and enjoyed Hina Takeno's skate a lot. Very unusual for me to discover a 20 year old female skater at the Nationals whose performance or reputation I have previously not seen or heard that skates so well.

Also enjoyed Kawabata, Takeuchi (3A< in two competitions in a row, hopefully a fully rotated one in her next big competition!), and Morishita for the first time watching them.

My favorite program was Yuna Shiraiwa's, to me she made a big leap artistically from last season and I enjoyed her FS more than any skater in the final flight.

I'm liking Mako Yamashita more, her skating, jumps, and body movement look so natural and not forced.

Disappointed by Yuhana not going for 3A (but understandable) but happy for the her overall performance and the score she got.

Surprised to see Yura not going for her signature 3Lo combos and instead doing 3T combos, but according to the commentary she had little time preparing for this competition since her last GP event due to injury, I guess loop combo is more demanding even for a loop-jumper like her.

beki

Medalist
Wakaba is still pretty young though. She's in high school still and it's very hard to move to another continent at that age. We don't know her family's situation, if her mother could come with, if they have enough money, if she even wants to do it. I somehow doubt it'll happen, at least in the next season I don't see it.

Wakaba took a huge leap forward in her skating this year (her PCS is so underrated). But the results here show she needs to take another big step next year, and change what isn’t working. She has time, but not unlimited time. I hope her setbacks light an even bigger fire under her, and she follows Yuzu’s example in Toronto.

champs

Final Flight
I forgot to include another disappointment in my previous post... Ayaka Hosoda not making it to the free. She was so looking forward to try a 3A in the free at this competition and it was the reason she decided to not retire after last season. Maybe she should have tried one in the short...just sad.

Also there are a lot of skaters I wanted to watch who didn't make it past the Eastern /Western Sectionals or the Junior Nationals. Hopefully Yoshioka, Aoki, the two Akari's, Kasakake and Takino will make it next year. But that'd mean some of the skaters who did skate here this year will not next year, I guess we can't have them all like we wish.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Ok, this Wakaba narrative is so wrong and its not fair to her in first place. I mean, what do you expect from her, to win an Olympic? The problem is not in her nor in the judges, but in your wishes and selfish expectations. Just be happy and enjoy her performing without sending that stuppid messages how she can skate better, how judges and JF dont appreciate her etc etc Its not everything about the results jeez

champs

Final Flight
How did Yamada Coach beam herself from the KnC to the rinkside so quickly?

Great job Yura! Don't cry!

I was thinking the same the moment the camera switched from the great Machiko hugging Yura so fondly to Mako at the rinkside and Machiko was standing right next to Mihoko with big smiles like she had been there for the entire time sending Mako off. Knowing that this broadcast was live, it was so bizarre that I had to rewind my recording to just play back this part several times. She probably triple-axeled herself from the K'n'C landing right on the rinkside, but still.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Glad Fuji TV (with its BS and CS channels) aired all the competitors so I could watch it from the beginning to the end in one go.

some random thoughts:

Though her placement was as low as last year in the free skate, I really enjoyed the freeskate by my sentimental favorite Yuka Nagai, she's getting her jumps back despite her busy college life and her coach change.

I discovered and enjoyed Hina Takeno's skate a lot. Very unusual for me to discover a 20 year old female skater at the Nationals whose performance or reputation I have previously not seen or heard that skates so well.

Also enjoyed Kawabata, Takeuchi (3A< in two competitions in a row, hopefully a fully rotated one in her next big competition!), and Morishita for the first time watching them.

My favorite program was Yuna Shiraiwa's, to me she made a big leap artistically from last season and I enjoyed her FS more than any skater in the final flight.

I'm liking Mako Yamashita more, her skating, jumps, and body movement look so natural and not forced.

Disappointed by Yuhana not going for 3A (but understandable) but happy for the her overall performance and the score she got.

Surprised to see Yura not going for her signature 3Lo combos and instead doing 3T combos, but according to the commentary she had little time preparing for this competition since her last GP event due to injury, I guess loop combo is more demanding even for a loop-jumper like her.

The same positive impression of Takeno here, also she strikes me as surprisingly good for someone that I've never seen skate before. I also absolutely loved her music selection, Studio Ghibli is a way to go!

There's something about the way she skates that sticks out as pretty different too, it's like she prefers doing crossovers, turns and skates in the opposite direction that other girls here so I found it pretty refreshing to watch.

lavender

Record Breaker
OMG...I say repackage Rika Kihara and send her to the O. I'm so glad I'm pretty neutral in the argument.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Random thoughts:

Satoko - Her consistency really is incredible. I don't think I've ever seen her nervous! She looked so fast going into that spiral today, and very expressive.

Kaori - She's showing that she can handle the pressure. I don't like this FS-- too much awkward miming-- but I think this playful music suits her well.

Rika K - Wow. Great 3-axels aside, she has an infectious, joyful personality on the ice. The Japanese Fed better do everything it can to support her because once her PCS catches up to TES, she'll be a threat for gold in every competition.

Wakaba - I've loved the maturity in her skating this year. I'm glad she got the second highest PCS here.

Mai - My sentimental favorite! I almost cried with her at the end. That footwork sequence is awesome. I really hope she can get her SP performances clean, because the single mistakes are burying her in these tough fields. I like her programs this year a lot, but I think she should work with someone like Lori Nichol next season, or someone who can help her work on her stretch, core movements, and expressiveness. Her flow is so good already, and enhancing those qualities could help her get over the PCS plateau. Also, I love how nuturing and supportive Coach Nakano is with Mai and Kaori! She really seems like a calming force for them. Seeing her jumping for joy after their FS performances was wonderful.

Rika H - My favorite FS music of the season. I appreciate how she fought like hell to sell the program, even after the costly mistakes. She earned the 2-point GOE on that last sequence.