2017 Russian Nationals Ladies SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Ladies SP

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Anna is always the underdog, I think she likes it better as she usually fights in most of her events to medal. Good luck to her tomorrow.

Why do you guys always consider Anna some "underdog"? Didn't you see she underrotated the 3T in the combo? The whole competitions look very boring to me.

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Medvedeva is imo the best female skater of all time. Only Mao Asada of past days can be compared to her. Not even Kim Yu-Na, Carolina Kostner or Shizuka Arakawa had reached her level.

Don't know...of all time, but past 10 years for sure;)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't know...of all time, but past 10 years for sure;)

I don't agree with this, either. She does an easier jump layout in her short program. Kim, for instance, did the 3lutz-combo and the 3-flip for her solo in the short. Med also benefits from the, in my opinion, ridiculous bonus for backloading her jumps in the short program. If jumps are entitled to a bonus after a minute and 15 seconds, why do skaters have to wait 2 minutes in the long program to get the bonus? We also haven't seen Med's spiral or Ina or other things that elevate a skater's artistry, even if those things are not valued in the scoring system. Med is on her way to becoming the best COP skater in terms of scores and medals. But it is too soon to say she is even the best in that category.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The absolute silliness of Zhenya's SP just overwhelms me and sets my "Literal Interpretation" meter to previously unthinkable levels. She went clean though and clearly deserved to have a close up of Christmas decorations while in the KnC. :coffee:

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
This is true...Anna will have to do tanos I guess?

Although she really embodied the tango role so I guess that could help PCS. I still remember the time Boyang Jin did the Tango Amore even though he looked about five. Cognitive disconnect!

Oh, don't remind me. No one, except if he has ALREADY won a big medal, should skate Tango Amore after Evgenii.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
It's the intention of Zhenya's choreography to appear juniorish at the beginning of her program. It's the story she's telling, how she grows from a young girl to a woman. And she does it perfectly IMO. The spread eagle with the head roll is my EVERYTHING!!

Yes, I agree, that is the story she is telling. It means that next season her presentation and performance should be as mature as a woman is...And I wish her good luck for that. :popcorn:

rosy14

Final Flight
All this talking about "hunger games" but the competition is boring overall. Sure, every year there is a new star, that's why people think they are all so good, but no, they are not, not more than in other countries

Have you seen other countries' competitions ?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, I agree, that is the story she is telling. It means that next season her presentation and performance should be as mature as a woman is...And I wish her good luck for that. :popcorn:
Next season if she skates to Romeo and Juliet it might work very well.

rosy14

Final Flight
After the Alina performance:love: the male commentator was talking to the male guest:
"You know what I'm thinking. Next year ...your remember Sotnikova ... then ... (not finishing for the "good luck")"

It's early but I can't resist:

Alina Zagitova can easily be 1. Russian favourite for Pyeongchang 2018. :hap10:

And Tsurskaia, who has bigger jumps, fulls the rink more and is a little different from the others Eteri's girls ? Alina skates better than Medvedeva and has Lutz, but otherwise they skate like sisters, due to the programme pattern too.

rosy14

Final Flight
I don't agree with this, either. She does an easier jump layout in her short program. Kim, for instance, did the 3lutz-combo and the 3-flip for her solo in the short. Med also benefits from the, in my opinion, ridiculous bonus for backloading her jumps in the short program. If jumps are entitled to a bonus after a minute and 15 seconds, why do skaters have to wait 2 minutes in the long program to get the bonus? We also haven't seen Med's spiral or Ina or other things that elevate a skater's artistry, even if those things are not valued in the scoring system. Med is on her way to becoming the best COP skater in terms of scores and medals. But it is too soon to say she is even the best in that category.

And she has not a Lutz (a true Lutz, I mean). And I'm becoming very curious to see her with a differente layout. I mean: if you skate for two consecutive years on the same programme layouts, even though with a different music (or perhaps even for 3 years in a row) you metabolise them better, your muscles get a better memory of what to do. In a word: it's easier. I'm not balming her. But surely the coaches are really astute. As long as the judges reward that...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Zagitova was fantastic. Her strongest SP performance by now. When she is clean no one can touch her among juniors Polina included. It's sad a bit - will Polina have motivation to go on?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love when Masha comes out to skate and cracks her thighs :rock: This girl is fierce and that delayed rotation on her jumps :love:

Something about the music kind of casts a spooky vibe. She's always had unique programs that confuses some but I'm a sucker for it. Glad to see her getting good scores :agree: