2017 South Korean Nationals, 6-8th Jan. | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 South Korean Nationals, 6-8th Jan.

micnow

Rinkside
Thanks Hailey Shin for your great coverage!! :)

Are there any other scheduled competitions (domestic or international) for Lim Eun-Soo (and/or the other juniors Kim Ye-Lim / Young You) before Junior words in Mid March (which is stll more than 9 weeks away)? What will they do in the meanwhile? Only recover and practice? Or some ice shows?

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Thanks Hailey Shin for your great coverage!! :)

Are there any other scheduled competitions (domestic or international) for Lim Eun-Soo (and/or the other juniors Kim Ye-Lim / Young You) before Junior words in Mid March (which is stll more than 9 weeks away)? What will they do in the meanwhile? Only recover and practice? Or some ice shows?

I know there will be Winter Festival.. This event is domestic and will held with Short track and other winter sports. It's quite big cuz all skaters selected at each city will participate.. I think juniors like Eunsoo and Yelim (and Young) might participate this. I donno the exact date, but I think the competition will held btw Nationals and Jr. world.

No information about international events though. But Young cannot go to Jr.world, so she may enter one more international events then? :confused2:

micnow

Rinkside
Why didn't An So-Hyun take part in JGP this season (as she had 2 assignments last season)? Did Korea only have 3 ladies spots for JGP this season (and An didn't qualify)? I just watched her performances at nationals and was quite impressed. Clean triple-triple combinations. There is not a big gap between her and the (PyeonChang age eligible) front-runners. I just checked her birthday (12/2001) and since she would be age eligible for next years Olympics, I think she could further reduce that gap next season and (if Soyoun, Dabin and Nahyun should struggle next season) maybe could be a darke-horse (together with Kim Hanul) for (probably the only) one spot in Pyeongchang.

FanOfTeamKorea

On the Ice
Why didn't An So-Hyun take part in JGP this season (as she had 2 assignments last season)? Did Korea only have 3 ladies spots for JGP this season (and An didn't qualify)? I just watched her performances at nationals and was quite impressed. Clean triple-triple combinations. There is not a big gap between her and the (PyeonChang age eligible) front-runners. I just checked her birthday (12/2001) and since she would be age eligible for next years Olympics, I think she could further reduce that gap next season and (if Soyoun, Dabin and Nahyun should struggle next season) maybe could be a darke-horse (together with Kim Hanul) for (probably the only) one spot in Pyeongchang.

So Hyun has injured at JGP Qualifying Competition. So she can't compete JGP.

turbulent

Match Penalty
Congratulations to all ladies competitors for fantastic level of skating! :clap:

Especially to the new Queen of Korea, wonderful Eun Soo Lim. :love::love::love:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I've been thinking Eun soo Lim has the goods to compete against the best junior ladies, particularly Marin, whose spins are equally as week as Eun soo (both are not very flexible and cannot hold some positions long enough when compared with Russian junior ladies in general), and jumps are not as good as Eun soo. Eun soo needs to be more consistent, and gain some level of refinement in performance. Eun soo is 13 and Marin is 15, with much more international competition experiences. It would be harder to beat Russian babies, who are stronger in almost every aspect.

Eun-soo Lim, my favorite Korean skater, won the competition and she was crowned as the new national champion. Lim looks more promising than any other Korean skaters in the field. Her free program looked entirely clean to me and she scored 127.45 in free skate, and 191.98 overall (SP 64.53). This is the first time she scored over 190 and she's now in the same league as Marin Honda, who scored 196.11 at the Japanese nationals and finished fourth (SP 67.52, FP 128.59). Lim is now in a position to compete for a medal at the junior world championships with other junior skaters in the 190 club such as Anastasia Gubanova.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO_-B-QhcLT/?hl=en

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A belated congratulations to Eun Soo Lim for winning Nationals! I love to watch her skate, she definitely has the *it* factor.

I was surprised how many "Baby Yunas" were competing at the senior level here, while most of them aren't age eligible for senior competitions internationally.

Speaking of Yuna, I had to laugh that they kept showing her watching the competition, but looking impassive. Not sure if she was bored or what, but it was funny.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Hang on, what happened to the Korean ladies that skated at the GP events? Are they not going to worlds?

breadstal

Record Breaker
Hang on, what happened to the Korean ladies that skated at the GP events? Are they not going to worlds?

Only one spot for Worlds for Korea, Na Hyun (who won Bronze) will go (she competed in Skate Canada). Na Hyun, Da Bin and So Youn will go to 4CC. Gold and silver medalists are not age-agible, both are going to Junior Worlds.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Speaking of Yuna, I had to laugh that they kept showing her watching the competition, but looking impassive. Not sure if she was bored or what, but it was funny.
I had fun pretending that she was silently amusing herself by:

a) dreaming up a way that she could go to Helsinki, to earn two places for Korea (or even three) at the Olympics - because even now, she probably has a better chance than Na Hyun or Da Bin of doing that... and

b) wondering if she could be bothered, even if there was a way for that to happen... :-D

lavoix

Match Penalty
Only one spot for Worlds for Korea, Na Hyun (who won Bronze) will go (she competed in Skate Canada). Na Hyun, Da Bin and So Youn will go to 4CC. Gold and silver medalists are not age-agible, both are going to Junior Worlds.

Isn't Da Bin a stronger competitor?

breadstal

Record Breaker
Isn't Da Bin a stronger competitor?

Na Hyun has better personal best and I think she's improving faster and is more impactful than Da Bin in my opinion. I think it's better to give Na Hyun chance to go to Worlds this time and see how she will do.

Krislite

Medalist
A belated congratulations to Eun Soo Lim for winning Nationals! I love to watch her skate, she definitely has the *it* factor.

I was surprised how many "Baby Yunas" were competing at the senior level here, while most of them aren't age eligible for senior competitions internationally.

They cut to her during intermissions and breaks, during which anyone would look bored. Does anyone look excited and enthusiastic while the zamboni is on? :laugh:

Speaking of "baby Yunas", I see Ye-Lim Kim and Young You putting Tanos on everything like Evgenia. Ye-Lim does it much more gracefully, I think, in a way that doesn't annoy me as much, because her Tanos are with both arms, making her air position symmetrical. And her jumps have more flow.

maea14

On the Ice
ikr and then there's a ranking competition.. it's like korea has 3 big domestic competition.. the nationals, winter sports competition and ranking competition..:scratch2:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
ikr and then there's a ranking competition.. it's like korea has 3 big domestic competition.. the nationals, winter sports competition and ranking competition..:scratch2:

Actually, Junior grand prix selection event is more important than winter games, at least to figure skating fans in Korea.:laugh:
Some elite skaters like Jun hwan Cha and So hyun An will not participate the winter games this year (they are not in the entries), becuz of their overseas training.
Top skaters like Young and Eun soo will participate this time but it's not that important to them, I think, maybe they think winter game just as one of domestic competition.

But winter game could be much important to younger skaters and some non-elite high school skaters who wants to go good university.
I heard that some univ. requires medals at big domestic events at admission test (or sth like that), and winter game really is a good chance to earn a medal.
Winter game's segments divide skaters A~D by their skating levels, and also as their age(elementary school to university students).
So, a non-elite high school skater who is in D(the lowest level) segment sure can earn a medal here, cuz she/he only has to fight with other non-elite skaters in high school D levels for medals.

Also winter games' results don't do anything for international events qualification.
Otherwise, 'Segmentation Competition' which will be held in one or two month later from now is much more important to international events qualification for younger skaters,
cuz now KSU selects skaters who to compete Asain Games based on the results of 1) Nationals of that year and if skater who don't have the results at nationals, in this case 2) Segmentation Competition of that year.
Younger skaters who are in Novice and Under-novice age cannot participate Nationals due to age limits, so they need a good results in Segmentation competition to earn a ticket for Asian Games (in Ad.novice and Basic novice A segment).