2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2 | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2

narcissa

Record Breaker
Well, aren't we glad the top men peaked at Worlds?! Can you imagine if this happened in Helsinki and then a couple weeks later they all skated beautifully at WTT? We would be all :dbana: hahaha

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Because it's NOT really a 2 points difference but a 16 point difference between Boyang and Patrick. Because PCS mostly is judged upon SS and Patrick get's 2 more points in EACH PCS category for his great SS even if he doesn't perform well.
Also, adding jumping content is really the only way a skater from a less powerful federation can get acknowledged. How can you blame him for that if we have Misha, Han Yan and Julian Zhi Jie Yee all being original or having great SS but never getting the PCS they deserve.

Because SS are connected to other PCS. Improvement of SS by 2 points would mean improvement of PCS in general by 10 points. Worked for Javi.

Whether or not the components are scored independently or linked to SS, SS are the foundation and competence required to perform and execute the other components. The original post to which these are responses was advocating more accurate and proper judging, thus it's not right to couple the ideal judging with the current practice of "linking" components scores, perceived or actual. In any case, it goes to show even the PCS difference of 10 points are in fact not sufficient to differentiate the best and the aspiring mid lever skaters (SS wise) with or without quads. And 10 points is not even worth one quad in scoring value while PCS is supposed to be equally important and valued as TES of which a quad is only one or part of one of its 13 comprising elements.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I understand how my comment could be perceived as criticizing Boyang, and for this I am very sorry, but I really didn't mean it, I just used his situation as an example of a current skater having very high potential TES scoring who is currently lacking on PCS department (in comparison to his amazing TES)
My issue was why would someone with his potential bother to do it considering that point wise it would be smarter to keep focusing on the TES (a purely general theoretical question, not addressed to a particular skater, but address the current flaws of the system). For what it's worth, I know and I observed the improvement Boyang made on his presentation and skating in general, I kind of like his programs this season (especially LP) and he definitely performed them very well at worlds.
Also, I don't think that Boyang or Nathen are favored by the judges, if there are issues with how they (or other skaters) are scored, it's a problem of the system and how the judges are applying it.
You are right that in trying to express our opinions we very often find ourselves criticizing (directly or indirectly) the skaters. I will try to pay more attention from now on.

I understand and agree with your point that there is more incentive to focus on gaining TES with quads than with the tedious long hard way to improve one's SS. I was using your statement as a segue to voice my opinion on oft expressed idea that a skater will not bother to improve himself unless punished and pushed by judges. I respect the elite skaters as motivated and dedicated hard working athletes who are likely much more demanding of themselves than most of us.

eta. A main reason I'm advocating management of the quad mania is that the young quad phenoms are really very talented skaters who choose to focus on the high scoring jumps first while they can and very likely will further develop their PCS aspect of figure skating later. Unfortunately, some of them may not have the longevity and the chance to mature into all round skaters, unlike those who build jumping prowess on great skating skills developed early in their careers .

Last edited:

Danielle

Spectator
Opinion for Men FS WTT

Yuzu- loved his yolo attitude this program lol. His 4Lo tho was to die for. Can't wait till next season as I wasn't a huge fan (I still love it, but not as much as Seimei or POTO programs :) of his LP, so surely the Olympic season LP is gonna be amazing. His kiss&cry moments with Shoma were too freaking cute.

Shoma- I saw a lot of comments on his PCS, however I disagree. For me personally (highlighting PERSONALLY) this season his interpretation of the music, skating skills, speed on the ice was the best of all of the men (season wise). He tends to both pre-rotate but also over-rotate the 4F, which I think led to his under rotation on his second 4F. I think he wanted to not overrotate it, so to put the 2T at the end, but didn't succeed. I'm so sad to let go of this program, as it was my favorite this season .

Patrick- great skating skills as usual, I think this time he was more involved with the music, as it isn't as high profile event as worlds or 4cc.

Chen- I might have an unpopular opinion, but I loved his LP this season. Especially the music and the costume, so was a bit sad to let go of it too. I think he too was more involved with the music, he listened to the accents and the step sequence was great. I think that's because the Technical content was not as demanding so he didn't feel as tired at the end so really put his energy into the StSq.

Overall, I love this event so far. I love the Japanese crowd and how the arena is fully filled. The individual booths, the funny kiss&cry moments are too cute. You can CLEARLY see that everyone's tired, but I think it's a great event to end the season, as it's not putting too much pressure. It's fun and light and is a great experience for all skaters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
What a shame about all the mistakes in Kevin Aymoz' FS. This kid can SKATE. What an expressive and honest performer. I had chills throughout that performance. Also, kudos to the choreographer. Really beautiful.

Victura

On the Ice
Did anyone watch the NBCSN coverage of the event? It was my first time watching it, and liked Tanith as usual, but Ryan Bradley sounded oddly stiff. Watching the pairs, he also seemed rather negative towards Peng/Jin for example, who I thought had a charming and very clean skate. He kept harping on how she just barely saved her triple loop throw when it was incredibly clean and received all +2 or +3s in GOE in the protocols. Very strange.

For the men, I was proud of Patrick for getting 3 quads in there at this event and hope that it gives him more mileage and confidence in landing the 4S. Also, Kolyada could be a threat if he gets that 4Lz clean next season.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Interesting! I looked forward to their skating waaaaay more than S/Ks, even the tacky Music free program :laugh: But I know the S/K are very popular.

Hey Chock/Bates - their free dance is to Under Pressure right? If so, I'm confused by the hate for that program, it's one my favourites! Perhaps I'm just completely lacking in taste :laugh:

I still dislike it :slink: I guess you can either hate it or love it - no in-betweens, and I was always lukewarm to them too so it influences my view as well. Madison just sometimes annoys the heck out of me too. :devil: I liked their SD though, but ''Under Pressure'' was. :disapp: No nuance and that music ... arrrrrghhh.

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Mikhail Kolyada does it for me every time. There's something absolutely wonderful about him. I hope he works out the kinks and he's competing for the podium next season.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Everything going wrong for my sweet Boyang. :/ Glad he fought hard and was still smiling when it ended. On and up, Boyang!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
This was a messy skate for most skaters. Patrick was better than his last competitions, still his Axel needs a revamp. But I have a big problem with his costume. That nice blue and burgundy t shirt does not work with those black pants at all. The shirt would be good with grey or same type of blue pants or jeans. I like he does not use glittery clothes still that was like bad matching, and it's not the first time. I think he needs a girlfriend to help him in this business.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This was a messy skate for most skaters. Patrick was better than his last competitions, still his Axel needs a revamp. But I have a big problem with his costume. That nice blue and burgundy t shirt does not work with those black pants at all. The shirt would be good with grey or same type of blue pants or jeans. I like he does not use glittery clothes still that was like bad matching, and it's not the first time. I think he needs a girlfriend to help him in this business.

Patrick has been skimping on his (non)costumes since his era of custom designer and designer girlfriend. I am hoping he will pay attention to and good money for costumes fit for the Olympic season next.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I still dislike it :slink: I guess you can either hate it or love it - no in-betweens, and I was always lukewarm to them too so it influence my view as well. Madison just sometimes annoys the heck out of me too. :devil: I liked their SD though, but ''Under Pressure'' was. :disapp: No nuance and that music ... arrrrrghhh.

Heeeey, the music is great. The problem is the execution...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Busy work days always hit at bad moments.

Ah part of me wanted to see that six quad attempt by Yuzuru, tiny part (the yolo quad) but still, excellent skate. I'm the happiest about his ease with quads in the second half and a sort of break through on the quad combination. I am so glad to see he recovered so well after the SP, and could end this very difficult and incredible season considering everything on a positive note.

Thank you so much for finally, finally calling Shoma's jumps. I want to send them flowers, and chocolates, and a bottle of good vodka.

Jason was wonderful, I am so happy about his PCS and I'll cross my fingers for next season but overall, I think he's established himself really well with these last two competitions.

Overall, can someone send all of them to an onsen for a week please? They're all tired and way beyond done, it was really apparent.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just finished cleaning and carved some time to watch performances du jour...I chose for now to re-watch WeaPo,Vanessa/Morgan, Jason and Patrick since the reactions there were quite enthusiastic and I was eager to see how those performances looked like. And they did not disappoint me

WeaPo - simply STUNNING!!! Everything just flew seamlessly together in a one, perfect moment: the music, their movement, the emotion. From the very first adjustment to opening pose, when they lowered their arms together in unison, while not standing face to face, I felt the unity, continuity and calm over the dance because of them, not the program itself. Love Kaitlyn's finish of hands/arms in movement - so in character of the piece and precise; love Andrew's partnering and an aura of care over whole performance, how well he presents his partner and himself at the same time - it takes maybe not a skill, but an instinct, natural feel of dynamics on ice taken from years of experience and deep understanding of each other. Today those little details, especially in going in/out of lifts, were so 'tasty', enriched the program and impression of it in a great way. This hands rise and split just before twizzles - perfectly done with musical tempo change, you just have to feel not only the music, not only steps, but also the partner to do such natural, organic-looking little things speaking so loudly and being so impactful. Lifts - perfectly emphasised music and their strenghts at the same time, step sequences were fabulously done, with sharpness and confidence, yet softly and in unforced manner, so easy on eyes...Looking at 'Aranjuez' performed, skated and expressed so deeply, maturely and exquisitely I'm coming to a thought that the thing about WeaPo is the 'simpler' and more direct material/concept is (in terms of program idea/emotions expressed), the more spectacular and impactful effect is. They play the best on simple, honest, direct and raw emotions, on sensuality and closure between them and between them and music,no elaborate,complicated concept is needed to look spectacular for them. This sensuality, magnetism they embody have potential to wow and hypnotize audiences. And they are one of very few teams who are actually telling the story they want to portray in-between elements, through transitions using them not as 'fillers', but as a space for dialouge. Watching them in their prime requires and allows you to just feel, not to think.

Vanessa and Morgan - chapeaux bas once again this season! Not only the program is a fabulous vehicle itself, but boy,their attitude, presentation, attack and this 'French thing' about them I can't even put my finger on - just spot on for that kind of edgy stuff. The amount of thought put into that program and performance is beyond remarkable: from insane transitions into elements, smooth exists,musicality, details, finishing movement to overall polish achieved. There was intricacy and sensuality, tension so rare to see in pairs skating nowadays, yet I feel the confidence, attetion and focus from them in execution. Vanessa never lost her attention on selling the stuff, having expressive momentum going,Morgan - never failed to carry the performance and be focused over execution, assistance to Vanessa in elements. It just oozed quality and sophistication. And that salt on the end from Morgan - what a diva, both of them!

Jason once again brought me to the place of pure feeling - the level of his care about integrity, continuity and being believable/authentic in that very moment of performance each time gets me deeply. I can just look and appreciate the effortless effect of finishing, detail his movement has in motion, overwhelming grace of it, how sensitive he is over reflecting the music through every part of his body, how much thought and deliberation he put into transitions to look so 'rich' and individual, unique like himself and his skating. Those aspects aforesaid, maybe not very visible or taken care of by viewers, yet they are what I see the most about Jason's skating, because they are his signatures, personal stamps over FS world and not very often such things can be seen. Since rare and so precious - they should be recognized and treasured in my opinion, becuse they make into something truly special, something that is not screaming for attention by being loud, but commands it in a simple, natural way because of its sheer beauty. I think that by such performance, Jason once again gives us a lesson of understanding about FS, its different values, qualities and elements, how they could shine and work exquisitely for different skaters in their respective aethetics and approaches towards discipline. And personally I am just glad that Jason is the person who 'infects' this kind of diversity and embracing your own path successfully,with so much admiration and respect given to him and by him to other skaters at the same time. And what a beautiful, moving lesson of Jason that is...There's simplicity of his attire, purity of lines created by his body, honesty and natual feel in gestures/expression, yet he feels so dynamic, lively and engaged, it's a great thing to see this kind of commitment, a 'desire' to unify imposed standards, but make them breathe in a space created by Jason. And there's hope, light in his every skate, why? Because he's like that outside of skating, taking his life philosophy inside his passion. No wonder why so many people are feeling just plain good, uplifted by Jason's skating.

Regarding Patrick, I think he also gave some kind of 'lesson' by his performance. A lesson of being in absolute agreement between senses, especially between hearing and feeling. He was truly in unity with the music, in understanding of its specific and at the same time interpreting, creating multiple dimensions, layers to uncover by viewers using different sensors. For me, those layers were very intricate and transparent, yet strong and defined due Patrick's character and personality which made them. Patrick was able also to sense out the moods of the music and adjust himself - body and expression - to them with such flexibility and detail. For me, the level of execution pleasing enough for particuar viewer can be always argued on, but I do think that the level of skill/performance quality Patrick presents each time in his programs just can't be denied or simply overlooked. And the paradox of this is how those basics - honed to perfection - make Patrick's skating look so special, unique and standing out. There is a thought put inside every stop, turn, arm movement, yet it never feels mechanical, just flows and breathes inside Patrick. Probably the only skater enable to express classical/lyrical music being a part of the orchestra, blending seamlessly inside notes.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Love this tweet from Kaitlyn Weaver, so I'm posting it here as well:

"I'm so happy I skate in the era of Jason Brown."

https://twitter.com/WeaverPoje/statu...81143067033600

My new favorite ice dancer:bow:

a true class act and just a lovely person, between this tweet and her tribute to Mao in K'n'C today with Andrew. And this shows how big, magnified impact Jason's skating has over people, in his own brand of 'spectacular'

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Overall, I love this event so far. I love the Japanese crowd and how the arena is fully filled. The individual booths, the funny kiss&cry moments are too cute. You can CLEARLY see that everyone's tired, but I think it's a great event to end the season, as it's not putting too much pressure. It's fun and light and is a great experience for all skaters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see it's your first post Danielle! Hello! We need a "welcome" emoji! I think the motto is post often, post long. :rock: