2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Exhibition Gala

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
whew...read ALL this thread, You guys sure know the art of reporting aka entertaining, I'm glad I was able to be a part of that for the whole season. Watching or re-watching FS is much more interesting with the forum and Your magnificent variety of personalities, tastes, opinions and impressions. Another season of getting more knowledge and expertise from You all, another season of great discoveries, ig disappointments/heartbreaks, manificent programs, blossoming artistry, development, growth and surpassing skaters' boundaries we often thought are impossible to break.

A season of quadness, but at the same time - at least for me - a season of proving how important the complexity and integrity of performance are (especially 'thank you' goes to Patrick and Jason). A season of successful returns (Tessa/Scott, Kaetlyn, Carolina) and spectacular rises (Vanessa/Morgan, Gabrielle...). A season of great debuts, pleasant surprises and countless moments to remember. A rocky season for some, for other - a season that ended on a very high note. A season of diversity which is always valued by me, even if parts of it I do not like. Another season of excitement, emotions, fight, sadness, hopes, hits and misses. A season where an era ended in a person of one and only Mao Asada. Definitely a season to remember due to so much greatness in terms of competitive spirit and magnificent programs, but for me also a season often subjected to erase in terms of scoring/judging.

Definitely one of the best EX shows every in my opinion, partialy due to being held in Japan where people breathe and live for skating and skaters, where not only skaters feel appreciated in everything they do, but all people watching those competitions are feeling happy about being fans of FS and priviledged to see such response over it. It was a great display of maturity, grown-up performers mingled with youthful energy and enthusiasm. Kanako send-off made me cry - she truly embodied an authentic joy of being on ice, in competition, no matter what her results were, how many technical problems she encountered. A true performer, never 'against' the music and movement, very sensible, considerate and thoughtful. A classy, beautiful lady with the cutest, girliest smile litting up all arenas and K'n'C. Being sad about her closing competitive chapter of her career, I'm glad myself that this true joy taken from just skating is not gone, as I truly see it in e.g. Mai and Elena.

I'm glad that Javier got to show off his brilliant performer abilities twice - one is definitely not enough to express how versatile and engaging he is. A rare gift used so well in both competitive and exhibition programs.

So charmed by personality presented by Mikhail and Jin - I'm all about this kind of blossoming as performers.

Totally blown away by Vanessa and Morgan - the amount of control, skill, courage, sass and quality they have in all that craziness is beyond imagination...All wrapped in so gorgeous, irresistible package:drama:

I feel like WeaPo really got some kind a victory there - definitely thier usual mojo is back and there was nothing but a piviledge to watch them that relaxed and enjoying their stuff, being in such execution prime. The EX represented everything they're known and famous for: connection, harmonious dynamic between two of them, gorgeous partnering skills of Andrew and amazing movement finish of Kaitlyn, direct emotion expressed, being so in agreement with the music. Like Javier - real performers, gifted interpretators, versatile skaters and just lovely people with passion so visible.

Again,Mai showed an authentic joy and thrill taken from being on ice while Wakaba truly embodied a beauty of skating, that blissful harmony between sound and move. Both ladies got me totally in love with themthis season and they prove that their performers ailities, creativeness and engagement into programs are growing by strides.

Gabrielle and Ashley again showed who's the Diva on ice: commanding presence, vivid interpretation, personality, sass and spark. They both know how to get the attention and spotlight on them only and on a shallow note - hotness alert as always, Gabrielle's make-up is always so on point, and her body is a perfect display of athleticism.

And Japanese boys...no matter how much people will pit them against each other and speculate to no end about one being always superior to another, for me they are perfectly complimentary to each other and amazing athletes each on his own. The level of commitment, willingness to grow and develop they showed this very season is astonishing,on par with emotional rollercoaster they served us. A season of so amazing material from both of them, for me - definitely a discovery of Shoma's musicality and versatility in interpretation and admiration over Yuzuru's complexity and spirit presented. A great competitors, even better performers in their respective aesthetics.

the wait sure will be long, but Olympic season will come to an end too fast, mark my words. And I'll never be ready to say goodbye to so many skaters I connected with on emotional level...

ETA - and a big shoutout to 4everchan who meanwhile got into 10.000 posts club :hb:, always a joy to see You there, gushing over Patrick or nor:laugh:

Last edited:

Fresca

On the Ice
In the Japan Broadcast, they showed Yuzuru go for a 4LZ, the height, edge, and rotation are all very good! He just needs to nail that landing! :shocked:
Yuzu has not confirmed that he will put the 4Lz into his programs, but he's been working on the 4lz off and on for the past few seasons. https://twitter.com/GERBERA1207/status/856120673290276864

Ahh!!! It's gorgeous in the air!!! Look at that height!!! From what I can see, the lateral alignment of his upper body and hips is very good in the air and when he lands! The problem there was his vertical alignment. His upper body was pitched too forward. He couldn't get his foot below his center of gravity so he landed unbalanced.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
In the Japan Broadcast, they showed Yuzuru go for a 4LZ, the height, edge, and rotation are all very good! He just needs to nail that landing! :shocked:
Yuzu has not confirmed that he will put the 4Lz into his programs, but he's been working on the 4lz off and on for the past few seasons. https://twitter.com/GERBERA1207/status/856120673290276864

Not just nail the landing but also integrate it into his FS without screwing up the rest of his program. You could see how difficult it was for him to do that with the 4Loop this season--although some of that might have been due to getting such a late start training because of the foot injury.

In his WTT commentary on Yuzu's FS, Kurt Browning brought up his asthma and it got me to wondering if that might also be affecting him more than usual this season--i.e., impacting his stamina.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
So why does Kanako get a retirement sendoff and not Mao?

I do honestly believe that if Mao had wanted a sendoff like this, she would've gotten it. Heck, they even could've made an entire ice-show, invited all the top skaters, only just to praise her and say goodbye.

Don't begrudge Kanako that last hurrah. She deserved it.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Not just nail the landing but also integrate it into his FS without screwing up the rest of his program. You could see how difficult it was for him to do that with the 4Loop this season--although some of that might have been due to getting such a late start training because of the foot injury.

In his WTT commentary on Yuzu's FS, Kurt Browning brought up his asthma and it got me to wondering if that might also be affecting him more than usual this season--i.e., impacting his stamina.

Guy did a 4 quad-FS three times this season, including 3 quads in the second half of his FS at WTT. I think he's never had better stamina in his life.

sarama

Medalist

Wow it's beautiful already!
I have to say that there is no other jump as esthetically pleasing as well done Lutz, so we are blessed to see so many high quality quad Lutz attempted.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Courtesy of a twitter friend and mega Javi fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9pu6z24-m4 (about 1:10). Short but very sweet :luv17:

Wait. That was summer with blonde Ksenia! Why haven't I seen this before? :drama:

No, regarding Gala, it was kind of awesome. And I guess I'm in minority who actually like C/B Sunscreen EX. Have I seen well that Yuzu did delayed 2A? It looked awesome! DS by Boyang and Yang Jin was great :laugh: No wonder Chinese Pairs are so good :biggrin: Katia doing that single jump was very cute too :luv17:

Barb

Record Breaker
I do honestly believe that if Mao had wanted a sendoff like this, she would've gotten it. Heck, they even could've made an entire ice-show, invited all the top skaters, only just to praise her and say goodbye.

Don't begrudge Kanako that last hurrah. She deserved it.

It is Kanako in your avatar?!!! I had not seen that photo :love:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So why does Kanako get a retirement sendoff and not Mao?
I'm sure Mao will get a very decent sendoff. I agree with MaiKatze, Kanako deserved that sendoff, with Mao the focus would have been on her, not on Kanako.

Regarding my new favourite female Japanese skater ... I think I have to go with Mai. No matter how little I like the music or the dresses, watching her is pure escapism. :biggrin:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just rewatching some of the exes and wow, Ashley is not afraid of skimpy outfits! These pants!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am hoping that I am misreading this post to wonder if Elladj Balde is retiring? I would so miss him. :luv17:

I am sorry, I can see why there would be confusion:shocked: I have heard nothing about Elladj retiring. Unlike Misha and his many hints. ;)

I put Misha and Elladj in the same sentence because they usually have killer exhibitions and are invited to exhibition galas even when they don't perform well.

And I meant that Jason is *now* in that category of "always invited". I have no idea whether Nathan wanted to rest, but Jason was going to be invited whether or not Nathan skated.

I hope Elladj skates next year, and slays. :clap: But Mr. Consistency he is not.....

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
going through re-re-watching of some EX numbers...

I have to say that this WeaPo change for encore cracked me a bit, because I imagined them being in their PJs already, being all romantic and in love, but then an idea of dress-up MJ style appeared so they wanted to do it :laugh: :party2:. Apart for that, there's really a smoothness in their transitions and natural, unforced feel they emote by their skating. Such brilliant storytellers, by their face, body,looks, gestures...And Kaitlyn being so moved by Kanako's retirement at the finale, a true heart from gold:love:

Speaking of storytelling...This is by far my fave exhibition program from Ekaterina and Dmitri, I do wish they'd have such programs in terms of right channelling their ability to engage into the story. She is such a performer, yes - maybe too over the top sometimes, or with too much 'drama', but in such fun, cheeky program this 'drama' is rightfully channelled, not looking confusing and unnecessary. They did look like they were having a great time, enjoying the convention, their roles, costume, music, audience. And I never get othered by Ekaterina's 'faces' made, because its all her, but so fitting into this ballroom competition exaggerated aesthetic. Great direction for them.

Mikhail got himself an 'alter ego' it seems LOL:laugh:, such a character and ability to get into the role, one of the highlights for me in terms of performance overall effort. Those hunched doubles were ON POINT!!! I applaud that whatever material he has, he's going all in. And there's so much joy, thrill emoted by him while being on ice.

And Vanessa is the seductress of all seductresses, with one of the most warm, dazzling smiles out there, I'm just so happy for her, another animated joy on ice!

Jason...I mean, you watch him and it's impossible not to crack a smile:). I'm glad that he made himself a 'brand' from his general way of skating/expression and enthusiasm over figure skating, not particular element or rare evolution. Love this carefree, exuberant feel of his performance, you just want to get up and dance with him, it's just infectious. And all those splits, spirals, transitions, spins, all goofs are so on point with the music and deliberately done, yet feel natural in line with fun, cheeky theme of the program. No wonder he's viral,popular and so, so loved - he's just himself in all he does:love:

Last edited:

tureis

On the Ice
I'm glad that Javier got to show off his brilliant performer abilities twice - one is definitely not enough to express how versatile and engaging he is. A rare gift used so well in both competitive and exhibition programs.

I'm so glad somebody else thinks so too. Especially with Danny Boy, which is a wonderful, and deeply sad and touching program to begin with, but Javi created something special here. I was carried away to those Irish hills and that grave.

Totally blown away by Vanessa and Morgan - the amount of control, skill, courage, sass and quality they have in all that craziness is beyond imagination...All wrapped in so gorgeous, irresistible package:drama:

This too, so much! They showed a lot of these qualities at Europeans already, but here they just completely owned the ice in all three of their performances. I can't wait to see what they can give to us next season!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's also allowed to think that the world is flat, despite evidence that categorically proves you wrong.

Just offering some friendly advice to avoid unnecessary embarassment.

I'm with Karne on this one. Good scores do not imply a well-choreographed program.

To assert that is just wrong. And to do it in a condescending and snippy way is worse.