2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What was Satoko's final placement @ these Worlds? I was hoping for a much for successful Worlds for her. 😭

I 💕 all of the Japanese ladies (& men)! 🇯🇵😭:hap10::cheer:

readernick

Medalist
That's not necessarily for "them" to decide. If she wins Nationals this year, then she is going to the Olympics, no questions asked.

That would be wonderful. I think Satoko was also injured here but in terms of beautiful skating she had no rival. I hope her injury heals and she is able to adjust to get new technique by next year. Her jumps were bigger here.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
[Updating] into the last group of Sr. ladies' FS:

It's reported from twitter that Rino is attempting 3A during the 6-min warming up!

23 Rino Matsuike 124.52/195.04 3A<(fall) 1Lz 3F 2A 3F+3T+2T 3Lo+2T 3S+3T
Obviously, other than the local competition for Aichi, there were several other local competition taking place con-currently over the weekend. And another interesting one was from the competition in Kyoto: for the NvA ladies', the winner Mao Shimada landed 4T successfully in the competition... probably the first one by ladies in any of the local competition:

Protocol

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Obviously, other than the local competition for Aichi, there were several other local competition taking place con-currently over the weekend. And another interesting one was from the competition in Kyoto: for the NvA ladies', the winner Mao Shimada landed 4T successfully in the competition... probably the first one by ladies in any of the local competition:

Protocol

Awesome moment for little Mao...

She's at Kinoshita Academy. Is she coached by Mie Hamada and Yamato Tamura? Or someone else?

Also, does anyone happen to know if she has an account on Instagram yet?

lappo

Final Flight
Apparently, Rika is thinking about changing her FS for next year now! I really hope that happens. I don't like that program and I really want Rika to have a program that will suit her more.
I do agree, I also wouldn't mind for her to bring back her Beautiful Storm LP for the next Olympic season.
On the other hand I enjoyed her new (at least for me?) EX, she does quite well with jazzy themes.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Beautiful Storm. And so many skaters will be recycling for Olympics. She should too.

starlight97

Final Flight
Just wanted to ask the Japanese or maybe Asian posters on here:
It's very noticeable to me that Rika and her coach are always smiling throughout the entire competition, and keep smiling and making a happy face even after she completely bombs and sees that she drops out of medals at Worlds, to give a recent example.

I wonder if that is some kind of psychological coaching approach not used in the West, or a cultural thing (not showing negative emotion, always remaining polite and presentable in public) or maybe just their personalities?

randomfan

Record Breaker
I'm probably in the minority here - I don't want to see her bring back Beautiful Storm. As wonderful of a program that was...

1. It's way too similar to her The Fire Within SP (they're even by the same artist!). I love both pieces of music, but it won't look good for her to go with heavy piano for both a SP and FS in the same season. Then again, I already found it a bit problematic that she paired Clair de Lune and Beautiful Storm in the same season, so it could just be a pet peeve. Yes they were two different piano styles, but still both prominently piano (I promise, nothing against pianos :biggrin:).

2. I think it's time to continue branching out more. Her Breakfast at Baghdad and IAoP were both experimental and quite successful. Not everyone appreciated these two programs much, which I find odd because those were actually her two most well-constructed programs so far (sure the SP music and FS music cut were strange but that doesn't necessarily make them bad programs). Beautiful Storm was nice but IMO IAoP was better choreographed and more interesting concept-wise. So if she were to replace her current FS, then I think IAoP is the better program to go with.

I personally think her current FS is nice, but even so it does clearly lack that wow factor, which may be needed for an Olympic season. I feel that keeping the music while reworking the entire program (maybe even a different choreographer?) might do the trick, but if she no longer feels confident using this music then yes switching is the right move.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm probably in the minority here - I don't want to see her bring back Beautiful Storm. As wonderful of a program that was...

1. It's way too similar to her The Fire Within SP (they're even by the same artist!). I love both pieces of music, but it won't look good for her to go with heavy piano for both a SP and FS in the same season. Then again, I already found it a bit problematic that she paired Clair de Lune and Beautiful Storm in the same season, so it could just be a pet peeve. Yes they were two different piano styles, but still both prominently piano (I promise, nothing against pianos :biggrin:).

2. I think it's time to continue branching out more. Her Breakfast at Baghdad and IAoP were both experimental and quite successful. Not everyone appreciated these two programs much, which I find odd because those were actually her two most well-constructed programs so far (sure the SP music and FS music cut were strange but that doesn't necessarily make them bad programs). Beautiful Storm was nice but IMO IAoP was better choreographed and more interesting concept-wise. So if she were to replace her current FS, then I think IAoP is the better program to go with.

I personally think her current FS is nice, but even so it does clearly lack that wow factor, which may be needed for an Olympic season. I feel that keeping the music while reworking the entire program (maybe even a different choreographer?) might do the trick, but if she no longer feels confident using this music then yes switching is the right move.
For me, Beautiful Storm has more wow factor than IAoP, which is why it's the one I would choose for the Olympic season. Is she keeping this season's SP for sure? I like it, but not as much as Beautiful Storm, so I'd pick that one since they are too similar to use both probably.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Despite the fact that Kaori was underscored and should have finished higher, its pretty obvious her strategy of relying on high GOE and PCS wont work at the Olympics. Japan better hope that Rika can straighten things out and that Wakaba, Rino and or Mana can get a consistent 3A next season or they will be in trouble.

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
To some extent I think Kaori's scores are a product of not having a lot of competing this season and her weaker performance in 2019-20 season... 2 years ago she was scoring 73 PCS at 2019 Worlds and quite good GOEs as well. It seems like judges at 2021 Worlds "ballparked" her scores (particularly PCS wise) around the level they were at in 2019-20 season, where she was struggling with consistency, even though she was much stronger here. Frustrating! IMO if she keeps at this level of performance, the scores would naturally increase over the next season to where they should have been in the first place.

Re: Olympic spots, I think Rika and Kaori are still the clear frontrunners....I would put Higuchi, Matsuike, Kawabe, Miyahara, and maybe Yokoi or Mihara in conversation for the 3rd spot, with Higuchi and Matsuike as the top contenders right now. But, a lot can change during the off season!! No matter what, it will be an exciting situation. I'm just glad there are 3 spots to work with and not just 2 like last time...

amarjargal

Rinkside
On the Fuji TV interview, Kihira said that nerves weren't the problem, it was keeping her condition throughout the day. The competition was late, and by the time of her skate she was not sleepy, but she was not feeling the energy in her legs to be able to do her big jumps.

I didn't get the impression that she was using that as an excuse; she said it's on her to prepare to be ready whenever she needs to skate. Hopefully she will learn from this experience and use it to be ready for the Olympics (assuming they happen).
I've been thinking a lot about what had happened with Rika. As some others pointed out, I don't she was injured. I think she told the truth about her conditioning for a late-hour competition, otherwise why would she lie? If that's really the truth, I'll really question her coaches and I worry about the next year. It is part of coach's job to condition the skater for a competition at any time of the day right, or is it up to the skater alone? I don't know. It seems very rookie mistake for both sides. If I got up early and not get proper rest in between I'll be completely wiped out around 9, 10pm, let alone do extremely complex activity. Maybe Lambiel is too inexperienced for her, but it's not good to change coaches so close before the Olympics. I don't know what she should do, but I still really want her to become an Olympic champion.

katymay

Medalist
Apparently, Rika is thinking about changing her FS for next year now! I really hope that happens. I don't like that program and I really want Rika to have a program that will suit her more.
My knock on Rika has always been that her programs have had way too many 'rest' spots-but not this program. Her level of fitness and stamina was incredible. But I didn't love the program or the music. Still, had she skated to her usual level she would have won, that must be a heartbreaking thing to live with. I suspect though she will knock it out of the park at the World Team event.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I've been thinking a lot about what had happened with Rika. As some others pointed out, I don't think she was injured. I think she told the truth about her conditioning for a late-hour competition, otherwise why would she lie? If that's really the truth, I'll really question her coaches and I worry about the next year. It is part of coach's job to condition the skater for a competition at any time of the day right, or is it up to the skater alone? I don't know. It seems very rookie mistake for both sides.
I absolutely do not think she was lying. I just think she left something out. She talked about jetlag and poor conditioning after GPF too and she did not perform the way she did at Worlds. So I agree that it’s an amateurish mistake because it happened before and apparently she still hasn’t figured it out.

That’s why I think there’s more to it. I’m pretty sure she was injured or in pain. Otherwise, it’s completely unacceptable! My girl had the gold medal practically handed to her on a silver platter and the only thing she has to say is that she couldn’t wake the hell up!? She should’ve been wide awake! That just means there’s an issue with motivation.

Last edited:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Oh thank goodness. That program does her no favors. My concern now is her tastes. Think about it. She picked that music. Hopefully she doesn’t choose anything worse .

readernick

Medalist
My knock on Rika has always been that her programs have had way too many 'rest' spots-but not this program. Her level of fitness and stamina was incredible. But I didn't love the program or the music. Still, had she skated to her usual level she would have won, that must be a heartbreaking thing to live with. I suspect though she will knock it out of the park at the World Team event.
You always say this (you have said it many times.. you are the only one who says this but obviously you strongly feel this way... which is okay) but I have never agreed. I have never found her programs to be easier than any other skaters and, in fact, unlike most other skaters she constantly changes her transitions and element positions which really takes a lot of stamina. This program has significantly fewer transitions in the beginning ( as do the other girls with quads or 3As) than her other programs have. However, the issue with the program is that it is just doesn't build and it doesn't lend itself to any special moment and it also doesn't highlight Rika's unique artistry. She is powerful but also rather feminine at the same time. Jazz programs are a good fit. (her exhibition is adorable). Her program, A Beautiful Storm, and her SP this year also her unique combination of strength and feminity. However, this program is too soft for her. I don't think it makes her feel confident.

readernick

Medalist
Oh thank goodness. That program does her no favors. My concern now is her tastes. Think about it. She picked that music. Hopefully she doesn’t choose anything worse .
The issue isn't just the music it is also the choreo. I expected better from Stephane.

Briananing

On the Ice
Just wanted to ask the Japanese or maybe Asian posters on here:
It's very noticeable to me that Rika and her coach are always smiling throughout the entire competition, and keep smiling and making a happy face even after she completely bombs and sees that she drops out of medals at Worlds, to give a recent example.

I wonder if that is some kind of psychological coaching approach not used in the West, or a cultural thing (not showing negative emotion, always remaining polite and presentable in public) or maybe just their personalities?
It s cultural thing. Obviously not all japanese people are like this, but they are generally more close off and able to hide their emotion better even compare to other Asian. It s different case when it comes to online commenters though.

But i dont think rika always smiling even after she bombed like you said, if you watch her kiss and cry moment, you see how she looked nervous and then completely depleted after that score. Even when she went out of the rink, her smile wasn't a happy smile either, it was an "ah, i mess up, it s done" and resigned kind of smile.