2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Nationals: Women's FS

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm really quite surprised that so many people here are assuming that Kawabe is a done deal for the Olympics. All she's done is earned the right to be considered. And the rest of her body of work this year compared to Mihara does not hold up.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The following is the results I gathered before Nationals, now with the results from today, I think it will be a fight between Mana and Mai for the 3rd spot (and maybe a slight chance for Satoko...):
Sorry, I couldn't figure out which criteria allows Satoko to be considered?

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking top two scores of the season, not top three.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I guess GOE manipulation is the new weapon of choice for JSF. Wakaba's GOE was consistently low throughout and Sakamoto was ridiculously high. I wont even mention the PCS. Lol Evidently Kaori knew something when she said she wanted to get 230. 😉

Joekaz

On the Ice
I'm really quite surprised that so many people here are assuming that Kawabe is a done deal for the Olympics. All she's done is earned the right to be considered. And the rest of her body of work this year compared to Mihara does not hold up.
She will get it for sure.

randomfan

Record Breaker

World Standing top 3 and Season's Best top 3. But despite her basically tying with Mai, I think it's safe to assume that Satoko is pretty much out. :(

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

World Standing...Satoko definitely has the upper hand (with cumulative results from the past). How about being on the podium in the WC in the past (note I'm not defending for her here. I said only a slight chance.)

Reactions: ana

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
World Standing...Satoko definitely has the upper hand (with cumulative results from the past). How about being on the podium in the WC in the past (note I'm not defending for her here. I said only a slight chance.)
I don't like taking past years performance into account, especially those that aren't even a part of her World Standing score. Selection really be focused on the current year's performance, otherwise we'd be sending Mao Asada and Shizuka Arakawa.

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some videos in order of skate

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Higuchi made it, so I really don't care.
I'm glad she made it. You can tell how hard she worked for this.

But I can see how your fandom clouds your view of the importance of Nationals. It's not that they rarely pick someone off the podium because Nationals are so important; it's just because most times the people that they want to pick end up on the podium anyway. When they want someone else, they find a way. That's why all the other selection criteria exist.

And in hindsight, you have to agree that they made the right call four years ago. Sakamoto has gone on to become the ace of the ladies, and Higuchi remains just sort of there, still looking for her first gold medal of note.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I don't like taking past years performance into account, especially those that aren't even a part of her World Standing score. Selection really be focused on the current year's performance, otherwise we'd be sending Mao Asada and Shizuka Arakawa.
?
ISU WS standing scores only count up to the past 2 seasons...Asada (I don't know about Arawaka) took herself off the ranking right after she announced her retirement.

Reactions: ana

Zora

On the Ice
Am I the only one who likes Kaori's program.
For the first, I thought it is not good; however, she has been growing as a strong & independent woman. It is very appropriate for Olympic program.
(TBH, I like anything Kaori does:biggrin: She is my ideal daughter in law)
I love it 😍 I think the music is great and she looks so strong and fierce in this program. I loved the Matrix as well, but this is like a more grown-up version of Kaori. Also, she is flying over the ice as always, seeing her live must be spectacular!

I'm also super happy for Wakaba and Mana. Wakaba's free program is so emotional, but honestly I think in the first half she let's the music work as choreography, it's mostly empty. Still a fantastic program.

I know it's superficial, but I think Mana loses points on PCS by appearing so junior-ish. But that seems to be her coach's preference. I'm super happy for her medal, for me it's the perfect podium! 😊

Joekaz

On the Ice
I'm glad she made it. You can tell how hard she worked for this.

But I can see how your fandom clouds your view of the importance of Nationals. It's not that they rarely pick someone off the podium because Nationals are so important; it's just because most times the people that they want to pick end up on the podium anyway. When they want someone else, they find a way. That's why all the other selection criteria exist.

And in hindsight, you have to agree that they made the right call four years ago. Sakamoto has gone on to become the ace of the ladies, and Higuchi remains just sort of there, still looking for her first gold medal of note.
Actually they made the wrong call. Higuchi was the better skater that year and has a much higher ceiling if she would get the same support from her Fed. I do give Kaori credit for her consistency however, but she is grossly overscored in Japan. I also agree that the Fed would like to bump Mana for Mai, I just don't think Mai is good enough for them to do it.