2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canada.jpg

Closing the book on the 2021/22 thread, we head into a new quadrennial for Canadian skaters, closing the door on a very tumultuous Olympic season and, in the process, bidding adieu to some very old friends.

Canada will be hosting the World Junior Championships for the first time since 2005, at a time when the junior field is more open than usual both domestically (with a few retirements and people aging out) and internationally (with Russia, provisionally, out of the picture).

On the senior level, there's a whole lot of question marks in virtually every discipline. Most important for the future is seeing whether Lajoie & Lagha can take another step forward, it's about time they start getting on some senior podiums internationally at the lower rungs. Ice dance seems poised for a big changeover in the next few years, albeit there have thus far been fewer top retirements than many had expected to have been announced.

slider11

Medalist
I am not Canadian but, in my opinion, Canadian figure skaters and their fans rank among the best in the world. Overall, Canadian skaters are well-trained athletes with a tremendous sense of character and integrity. Canadian coaches develop the physical and artistic traits of their skaters with a sense of sportsmanship. Fans are knowledgable and enthusiastic and give tribute to all skaters who show talent and effort. This is why I often follow and support Canadian skaters and love watching competitions taking place in Canada. I am thrilled that this year's World's will be in Montreal!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not Canadian but, in my opinion, Canadian figure skaters and their fans rank among the best in the world. Overall, Canadian skaters are well-trained athletes with a tremendous sense of character and integrity. Canadian coaches develop the physical and artistic traits of their skaters with a sense of sportsmanship. Fans are knowledgable and enthusiastic and give tribute to all skaters who show talent and effort. This is why I often follow and support Canadian skaters and love watching competitions taking place in Canada. I am thrilled that this year's World's will be in Montreal!
It's next years for worlds in Montreal :) this year, it's Junior worlds in Calgary.
LOVE your post :)

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'm really excited for this years competition locations, as I might be watching the big events (Junior worlds, nationals, and Skate Canada challenge) in person!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Brooke's sister Summer, won silver at swimming worlds today (400M, FS)

Not related to figure skating but still :) What a successful athletic family (mother is an Olympian and medalist at Commonwealth games too).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Brooke's sister Summer, won silver at swimming worlds today (400M, FS)
It's always weird when people from different sports I follow turn out to be connected (like how Alicia Fabbri is now dating the Edmonton Oilers' most recent 1st round draft pick).

This hasn't been announced anywhere, but based on the most recent world standing updates, it looks like Joseph Phan and James/Radford are retired.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's always weird when people from different sports I follow turn out to be connected (like how Alicia Fabbri is now dating the Edmonton Oilers' most recent 1st round draft pick).

This hasn't been announced anywhere, but based on the most recent world standing updates, it looks like Joseph Phan and James/Radford are retired.
regarding summer, she swam to first place of the semis today in the 200 fly... she is now the favourite for the final to come..

regarding James//Radford... that would be sad but normal

regarding Joseph....

and Conrad is not listed either.. though maybe he didn't make points??? I am lost.. if both my sons are gone... sigh
NOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Athletes participating in the Championnats québécois d'été.. https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Liste-participants-CQE2022-20-juin-2022-1.pdf

No Joseph Phan....
Antoine Goyette is there, so maybe he was injured last year as he was not at Challenge
Edrian Celestino is still there (representing Philippines)

No James/Radford BUT
Matte -Ferland are signed up
Stellato-Deschamps as well
and...

Proft-Nadeau too.

In dance : note the new team of Bronsard-Richmond... I hope he will be able to match Emmy. Aissa was so special to me... but I did like Jacob when he was skating with Jessica Li... though he was, to my not so trained eyes, inferior, especially in twizzles. No Fournier-Beaudry-Sorensen... No LaLa....:(

For women : well... I don't know... none of the big names in seniors.. but Dupuis and Miclette are listed in juniors. (as well as lulu lin)

Of course, this list can change... for instance in dance, Charlotte and Carolane are listed alone... so i guess the men haven't yet signed up...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am trying to reason myself... but Jo retiring would just break my heart... Of course, my mind goes right away to his knee issues... He has his whole life ahead of him and he certainly doesn't want to be in a wheelchair at 40. But yeah, I am devastated.

Regarding Conrad, I have no idea what to think... he may not have had points since he didn't gain any this season (he is not listed on the season's best) while Jo for instance, got 362 points from 4CC....

Sigh... this is pushing me over the edge for today... already had bad news earlier... and now this... I will need to change my name to 4everphan SIGH

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Athletes participating in the Championnats québécois d'été.. https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Liste-participants-CQE2022-20-juin-2022-1.pdf

No Joseph Phan....
Antoine Goyette is there, so maybe he was injured last year as he was not at Challenge
Edrian Celestino is still there (representing Philippines)

No James/Radford BUT
Matte -Ferland are signed up
Stellato-Deschamps as well
and...

Proft-Nadeau too.

In dance : note the new team of Bronsard-Richmond... I hope he will be able to match Emmy. Aissa was so special to me... but I did like Jacob when he was skating with Jessica Li... though he was, to my not so trained eyes, inferior, especially in twizzles. No Fournier-Beaudry-Sorensen... No LaLa....:(

For women : well... I don't know... none of the big names in seniors.. but Dupuis and Miclette are listed in juniors. (as well as lulu lin)

Of course, this list can change... for instance in dance, Charlotte and Carolane are listed alone... so i guess the men haven't yet signed up...
I can't wait to see Nadeau in pairs.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am trying to reason myself... but Jo retiring would just break my heart... Of course, my mind goes right away to his knee issues... He has his whole life ahead of him and he certainly doesn't want to be in a wheelchair at 40. But yeah, I am devastated.

Regarding Conrad, I have no idea what to think... he may not have had points since he didn't gain any this season (he is not listed on the season's best) while Jo for instance, got 362 points from 4CC....

Sigh... this is pushing me over the edge for today... already had bad news earlier... and now this... I will need to change my name to 4everphan SIGH
I don't think Conrad had any points from the past two seasons, so him not being on the WS list is expected.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think Conrad had any points from the past two seasons, so him not being on the WS list is expected.
that's my understanding too... but JO... i am soooooo sad for our "sons" i am usually okay with retirements... even Chiddy.. I just feel that Jo's injury may have forced things for him... and it sucks... you know how much i cared about Jo.. he is even in my avatar... i guess i will not put conrad back until he is signed up for minto or whatever...

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
It came up in another thread that Alexa Volkova (daughter of Martine Dagenais and Alexander Volkov, based in Moscow) intends to represent Canada.
Here's a recent video of her.
13 years old, some triples, a little choppy and slow skating-wise but cute smile. The telegraphing makes me think those jumps are relatively fresh for her, so I can see why she'd be swallowed up in Russia where girls her age already do 3-3s out of a gazillion transitions. What do you think about her prospects as a Canadienne?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It came up in another thread that Alexa Volkova (daughter of Martine Dagenais and Alexander Volkov, based in Moscow) intends to represent Canada.
Here's a recent video of her.
13 years old, some triples, a little choppy and slow skating-wise but cute smile. The telegraphing makes me think those jumps are relatively fresh for her, so I can see why she'd be swallowed up in Russia where girls her age already do 3-3s out of a gazillion transitions. What do you think about her prospects as a Canadienne?
hard to say... i think Ruiter is better... but of course Kaiya is a bit older now... there are other juniors who have better skating skills and speed. I liked Aleksa's fight on the jumps, though her landings needed "correction"... I think Fiona, Justine and perhaps even Sarah-Maude won't let go of their spots that easily. We will see :)

Here's a Canadian junior, same age, 13 years old... 20 years ago... Not the same jumps back then but much better height, flow and speed... just to show that I do not feel that Canadian women are that "behind" ... if Aleksa showed up with 3axels, fancy combos (+ loop) or quads, maybe... but a 3lz-2t, not sure. Some of the juniors are pushing hard for the 3t-3t and in my opinion have better skating skills and presentation.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Today, it's Saint-Jean-Baptiste day. Bonne fête nationale à tous les Québécois et Canadiens français !

I thought it would be a good opportunity to tell you about the flag I am using... apparently, there is a restricted number of emojis available, and at some point, they opted not to include more flags... Unfortunately, that meant that Quebec's flag wasn't included on the list... (do not tell me that it's not a country, the flag I am using instead does not represent a "country" either... )

When I looked it up, I noticed that Martinique's civic flag was featured. Martinique is a Caribbean Island, French DOM (Département d'Outre-Mer) ..... It has the same St-Michael's cross as in Quebec's flag... but with snakes instead of Fleur de lys... and as the emojis are so tiny anyways, anyone could confuse those snakes for flowers right? :)

So now you know...

I grew up as a completely crazy fan of this skater from Quebec, Josée Chouinard. Here is one of her programs that earned her a second national title.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
hard to say... i think Ruiter is better... but of course Kaiya is a bit older now... there are other juniors who have better skating skills and speed. I liked Aleksa's fight on the jumps, though her landings needed "correction"... I think Fiona, Justine and perhaps even Sarah-Maude won't let go of their spots that easily. We will see :)

Here's a Canadian junior, same age, 13 years old... 20 years ago... Not the same jumps back then but much better height, flow and speed... just to show that I do not feel that Canadian women are that "behind" ... if Aleksa showed up with 3axels, fancy combos (+ loop) or quads, maybe... but a 3lz-2t, not sure. Some of the juniors are pushing hard for the 3t-3t and in my opinion have better skating skills and presentation.

Kaiya is definitely another level, we'd be considering her chances at JGPF! There is some gap between her and the next girls though. With Alexa I think the goal might be more just about participating in international competition.
Volkov's skaters (e.g. Kovalev, formerly Trusova) tend to have decently high but kind of 'muscled' jumps to my eyes, and aren't known for their components. It would help if she could e.g. stay with grandparents and get some coaching here, because good skating skills are non-negotiable in Canada...

Happy Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kaiya is definitely another level, we'd be considering her chances at JGPF! There is some gap between her and the next girls though. With Alexa I think the goal might be more just about participating in international competition.
Volkov's skaters (e.g. Kovalev, formerly Trusova) tend to have decently high but kind of 'muscled' jumps to my eyes, and aren't known for their components. It would help if she could e.g. stay with grandparents and get some coaching here, because good skating skills are non-negotiable in Canada...

Happy Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!
Let's not forget the very limited opportunities Canadian women have. Yes, JGP is a possibility... but then, Skate Canada is not very generous in giving out challengers, and it is somewhat understandable since most of them are in Europe... And, though Madeline is doing well, Canada remains at one spot for women at Senior worlds and it's very hard to acquire a second spot... So Alexa though she may have a better chance to place in the top women in Canada, she would be fighting for the few opportunities available to our athletes... I agree about training in Canada at this point, at least for some time of the year, to gain in skating skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.