2023-2024 South Korean Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2023-2024 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
With other national skating threads popping up I thought it's time to post this thread. As a recap, here are the National Teams (main and reserve):

Main Team
Men: Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Seo Minkyu*, Kim Hyungyeom
Women: Shin Jia*, Kim Chaeyeon, Lee Haein, Kim Yelim, Kwon Minsol*, Kim Yujae*, Wi Seoyeong, Youn Seojin*

Reserve Team
Men: Choi Habin*(J), Lim Juheon, Lee Jaekeun*
Women: Yun Ahsun, Kim Minchae, Han Heesue*, Kim Yuseong*, Song Siwoo, Park Eunbi*, Kim Seoyoung, Ko Nayeon*, Lee Eun*

* - Not age eligible for seniors
(J) - Domestic junior as of now (cannot take part in international competitions)

Regarding ice dance it's kinda complicated (there isn't an official national team for ice dance (facepalm)) but basically Lim/Quan as our only senior ice dance team and Kim/Lee as our only junior ice dance team are semi-NT.

Also, Cho Hyejin of former Cho/Adcock is looking for a partner, if she finds one will post news.

Curiously Habin isn't registered for the second level test of the year (it's for his 7th level(qualifies him for international selections), he failed his first test), since the latter half of the tests happens after JGP selections this means he won't be able to make his JGP debut this season. Don't know why, don't ask me.

Also, here are the GP assignments for Team Korea as of now:

Skate America: Wi Seoyeong, You Young / Lim/Quan
Skate Canada: Kim Chaeyeon / Cha Junhwan
GP France: Lee Haein / Lim/Quan
Cup of China: Kim Yelim / Lee Sihyeong
GP Espoo: Kim Chaeyeon, You Young / Cha Junhwan
NHK Trophy: Kim Yelim, Lee Haein, Wi Seoyeong / Lee Sihyeong

Regarding JGP, we have 14 tickets for women, 7 tickets for men, and 14 (!!) tickets for ice dance. Obviously the ID tickets won't be used fully, but still. Will update news about JGP selections (will be livestreamed) when news comes out.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I want to watch Kwon Minsol's progress especially, she was wonderful last year.

And Haein and Yelim, of course.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
@Ichatdelune , I always appreciate you keeping us up to date on the skaters from South Korea, thank you.

Am I correct in reading that You Young is not on the Main or the Reserve Team?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I want to watch Kwon Minsol's progress especially, she was wonderful last year.

And Haein and Yelim, of course.
Ahem, what about our other WC silver medalist?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
@Ichatdelune , I always appreciate you keeping us up to date on the skaters from South Korea, thank you.

Am I correct in reading that You Young is not on the Main or the Reserve Team?
Yes, at least according to the KSU announcements. With her Ranking Competition and Nats scores she should've been on the reserve team, but for whatever reason she's not. I have no idea why.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ahem, what about our other WC silver medalist?
Oh Junhwan goes without saying! I was a little sad to hear about him leaving TCC but am still hoping he can go even higher this year.

By the way, did I dream it or did he recently do an ad for ice cream in a sparkling pink outfit? I only ask because I can't find it again and have dreamed of skaters in ads before (there was one nightmarish one of Nobu as a sentient fried egg... don't ask)

rabidline

Final Flight
Speaking of Junhwan leaving TCC, has there been any official announcement / interview from Junhwan's side about it?

Asking because the only source I can find is this scan of Japanese Magazine interview with Brian Orser where he was talking about Yuzuru, and it seems the original tweet from a Japanese fan has been deleted:

The deleted tweet: https://twitter.com/_going_myway_/status/1673906096808030208

rabidline

Final Flight
Also, crossposting news about Jia Shin competing in Japan this weekend (Aqua Cup, FS only competition) and working with MF Academy (Kensuke Nakaniwa, coach of Rinka Watanabe, Yuna Aoki and Ami Nakai) for this season:

@figureskatingandrainbows Thanks for starting up the new thread and info about the upcoming competitions. The Aqua Cup's result page is not up yet, but there's s list for skating order (here). Aqua Cup's starting order is drawing some attention on Twitter earlier, as the Jr. woman's skater from Korea, Jia Shin, is listed in the Jr. women's entry list.

Jia now have a joint coaching situation with Park Bit-na and Kensuke Nakaniwa of MF Academy.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
By the way, did I dream it or did he recently do an ad for ice cream in a sparkling pink outfit? I only ask because I can't find it again and have dreamed of skaters in ads before (there was one nightmarish one of Nobu as a sentient fried egg... don't ask)
He actually did, here's the ad:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That's not too bad! (Some of our homegrown sports stars do THE most atrocious ads in the history of fastforwarding so I have low expectations of any of 'em)

Last edited:

ruiying

Rinkside
Its gone pretty viral as well... I had some of my non-fs friends send me screen shots on katalk after they ran into the YT ad LOL

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The entry list and time schedule for JGP selections are up:

Entry List

Junior Ice Dance: Kim Jinny / Lee Namu
Junior Men: Seo Minkyu, Kim Hyungyeom, Lee Jaekeun, Lim Juheon, Park Hyunseo
Junior Women: Youn Seojin, Hwang Jihyun, Lee Eun, Ko Nayeon, Hwang Jeongyul / Park Eunbi, Kim Yeeun, Kim Yuseong, Kim Yujae, Shin Jia, Lee Hyorin / Yun Ahsun, Han Heesue, Song Siwoo, Yook Jeongmin, Kim Seoyoung, Kwon Minsol

Time Schedule (KST, +9 UTC)

7/22
13:30 - 13:44 Junior Ice Dance RD
13:44 - 14:15 Junior Men SP
14:15 - 14:30 Ice Resurfacing
14:30 - 15:37 Junior Women G1, G2 SP
15:37 - 15:52 Ice Resurfacing
15:52 - 16:28 Junior Women G3 SP

7/23
12:50 - 13:04 Junior Ice Dance FD
13:04 - 13:40 Junior Men FS
13:40 - 13:55 Ice Resurfacing
13:55 - 15:13 Junior Women G1, G2 FS
15:13 - 15:28 Ice Resurfacing
15:28 - 16:10 Junior Women G3 FS

There will be a livestream as mentioned above, will post the link when it's up.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
One thing I forgot to mention: we got a leftover JGP ticket for junior men, so now we have eight. There were more leftover tickets but KSU decided to only take one :palmf:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay the handing out of JGP tickets are out and I am pissed:
Junior Women: 5 skaters get 2 tickets, 4 skaters get 1 ticket
Junior Men: 3 skaters get 2 tickets, 2 skaters get 1 ticket
Junior Ice Dance: 2 tickets

THEY HAD LEFTOVER TICKETS TO CLAIM WE COULD'VE HAD SENT ALL 5 MEN TO 2 EVENTS EACH BUT NO KSU HAS TO MAKE IT SO THAT TWO MEN ONLY GETS TO GO TO ONE EVENT I HATE IT HERE

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The entry list and time schedule for JGP selections are up:

Entry List

Junior Ice Dance: Kim Jinny / Lee Namu
Junior Men: Seo Minkyu, Kim Hyungyeom, Lee Jaekeun, Lim Juheon, Park Hyunseo
Junior Women: Youn Seojin, Hwang Jihyun, Lee Eun, Ko Nayeon, Hwang Jeongyul / Park Eunbi, Kim Yeeun, Kim Yuseong, Kim Yujae, Shin Jia, Lee Hyorin / Yun Ahsun, Han Heesue, Song Siwoo, Yook Jeongmin, Kim Seoyoung, Kwon Minsol

Time Schedule (KST, +9 UTC)

7/22
13:30 - 13:44 Junior Ice Dance RD
13:44 - 14:15 Junior Men SP
14:15 - 14:30 Ice Resurfacing
14:30 - 15:37 Junior Women G1, G2 SP
15:37 - 15:52 Ice Resurfacing
15:52 - 16:28 Junior Women G3 SP

7/23
12:50 - 13:04 Junior Ice Dance FD
13:04 - 13:40 Junior Men FS
13:40 - 13:55 Ice Resurfacing
13:55 - 15:13 Junior Women G1, G2 FS
15:13 - 15:28 Ice Resurfacing
15:28 - 16:10 Junior Women G3 FS

There will be a livestream as mentioned above, will post the link when it's up.
Looking forward to this event. One of the highlights of the year for me. Interested to see what Haein and C.Kim skate to

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Looking forward to this event. One of the highlights of the year for me. Interested to see what Haein and C.Kim skate to
Haein and Chaeyeon are seniors..? This is JGP selections

Last edited: