2023-24 US Women’s Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Women’s Figure Skating

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
Alysa Liu is coming back. There must have been so much frustration knowing that you only lost all those competitions as a junior thanks to cheating Russians. Think of what she could do now.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa's return could be interesting. I wonder what direction her skating will take now.

The Instagram clips were encouraging, considering the long layoff she's had.

Of course, you never know with those clips. Sometimes you wonder how many attempts it took to get something reasonable on video. On the other hand, plenty of people were rolling their eyes at Ilia Malinin's early attempt of a 4A in harness. We'll see.

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa's return could be interesting. I wonder what direction her skating will take now.

The Instagram clips were encouraging, considering the long layoff she's had.

Of course, you never know with those clips. Sometimes you wonder how many attempts it took to get something reasonable on video. On the other hand, plenty of people were rolling their eyes at Ilia Malinin's early attempt of a 4A in harness. We'll see.
the fact she was landing triples on her first day back is insane. i don't know if that was her first official day of training and maybe not her first time on the ice since quitting, but that is incredible.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the fact she was landing triples on her first day back is insane. i don't know if that was her first official day of training and maybe not her first time on the ice since quitting, but that is incredible.
I am hopeful-bordering-on-optimistic, but I am not invested just yet.

Early days, but I look forward to seeing more from her, and I wish her well.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Suddenly Nationals next year could be really stacked if everyone stays healthy and skates to their potential. The last few years have been lean but you could have Amber, Isabeau, Lindsay, Ava, Alysa and Bradie all fighting for the title. Not to mention Juniors like Elyce-Lin along with a dark horse candidate like Sarah Everhardt. That would be the most depth in US ladies in about a decade.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
What Alysa brings that the others ( at this point) don't have is a good competitive mindset . If she still skates well under pressure, she'll do well. The other US women are equally/ more talented, but talent isn't the same as results. I would like to see Alysa joyful on the ice like she was as a junior and I'm happy she's coming back because she wants to. Wishing her a strong competitive return!

brakes

On the Ice
I've seen skaters underperforming in a big moments, but I don't think I've ever seen a skater skating so brilliant in the beginning of her performances with whole arena pumped up and supporting her, to only mess it all up in the end.
Amber Glenn is literally taking medals with one hand and throwing them away with the other hand seconds later.

streams4dreams

On the Ice
Mainly thanks to Isabeau for being up to the task of getting on the podium to regain the 3rd spot.
She was magical! The score sheet notes that perhaps the jumps were not the best, but that performance was mesmerizing, with every musical phrase accentuated, some with element timing, some with just a gesture, but all flowing from one to another so seamlessly. Even watching online I felt drawn into her world! So happy for her!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Isabeau has grown a couple of inches at least since Nationals or are my old eyes deceiving me? And she really has improved her speed over just the last year i remember when she was coming up the ranks her being so slow compared to other skaters her age. Now if only her coaches got her working with a jump coach she's going to need it with her still growing like she is.

JeanA

Rinkside
She definitely looks like a young woman now. Very beautiful. Exactly the picture of who USFS wants on posters to promote them.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Thank you 😊 for the wonderful memories of skating this season with ups and downs , your trials and successes. Let's do it again next year.
It been a pleasure this year.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I’m excited for next season. Really excited. With Bradie hopefully back and Alysa back, combined with Amber, Isabeau, Ava, Lindsay, and other challengers, this could be really, really exciting and I’m looking forward to it.

macy

Record Breaker
have we heard anything from Bradie? i hope she's healing up alright.

congratulations to Isabeau and Amber for winning 3 spots next year. huge accomplishment.

i keep trying to figure out what Amber needs to figure it all out. she keeps getting in her own way, and i'm not sure her current coaching situation is instilling the confidence in her that she needs. she can do the jumps, she can skate clean in practice, she can do this stuff in her sleep and the 3A is super comfy for her now, but put her in a competition dress in front of an audience with some pressure and it falls apart. i completely understand what that feels like because i massively struggled with the same as a skater...i just don't know where she should go from here. she needs a competitive glowup similar to Ashley Wagner.

JeanA

Rinkside
i keep trying to figure out what Amber needs to figure it all out. she keeps getting in her own way, and i'm not sure her current coaching situation is instilling the confidence in her that she needs. she can do the jumps, she can skate clean in practice, she can do this stuff in her sleep and the 3A is super comfy for her now, but put her in a competition dress in front of an audience with some pressure and it falls apart. i completely understand what that feels like because i massively struggled with the same as a skater...i just don't know where she should go from here. she needs a competitive glowup similar to Ashley Wagner.
Unfortunately Amber has 3axel talent and 1axel competitive nerve. Like talent, competitive nerve is something you are born with IMO. It's a shame. I suppose she could see a sports psychologist, but it really is a burden that she has never been able to overcome. It seems like every year for the last five years she posts after yet another disappointing season that she will figure out what is holding her back and she will come back stronger. Sadly, I don't think it's possible. You either have the mental fortitude to just go out there and DO it, or you don't and hope for the best.

Amber really needs to rethink her technical layout. This might sound outrageous, but I think she should consider putting two 3axels in her LP. Her first two elements. Then 3flip-3toe and 3loop-2axel-2axel. If she's going to continually bomb the second half, at least get the big point scorers out of the way. Then just do 3flip/lutz/loop/sal/toe (whatever three she chooses) solo in the second half. Her axel seems pretty consistent now. Go for two next year. She can really just focus her training on the first half of her program. It might help her nerves in competition if she really doesn't have to worry about the second half. Just NAIL the first two minutes. She needs to do something different or drastic. She should stop with the talk of figuring out why she constantly bombs, and just choose a more aggressive path in the first half. IMO.