WARM-UP GROUP 2
7Mia ClarkeQC1249.14
8Angelina YinLin GuanBC/YK1149.79
9Abbie BaltzerON1050.25
10Elisha RyuON950.44
11Megan WoodleyON851.49
12Kara Yun
SP: "You Are The Reason" by Calum Scott, Jon Maguire
FS: "A Piece Of Sky" by Michel Legrand, performed by Barbara Streisand; choreo by Joanne McLeod, Neil Wilson
BC/YK752.03
WARM-UP GROUP 3
13Reese RoseON652.23
14Breken BrezdenMB556.06
15Rose Théroux
SP: "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey
FS: "C'est moi" by Marie-Mai; choreo by Joey Russell
QC459.33
16Aleksa VolkovaQC359.35
17Lulu Lin ON260.59
18Hetty Shi
SP: "New Moon Twilight" by Alexandre Desplat
FS: "Dance with Me" (Anna Karenina soundtrack; choreo by David Wilson
ON162.35

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Kara did OK and better then yesterday but still think she was over marked here. To me she was just too stiff and showed no emotion.

Sackie

Medalist
Rose should have been above Kara in the free even. She did 2 3Lz - something a lot of our Sr Ladies do not do, if any.

Sackie

Medalist
Really think Rose was robbed here. Not sure how Hetty won the free with that skate.

yyzskater

On the Ice
Agree. I feel Rose was significantly underscored in the second mark compared to Hetty. I don't think she deserved the highest second mark in the event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
mmmm... i haven't watched this yet... but Rose's PCS is very low compared to the other top women... which i find hard to imagine from knowing how she usually skates... she probably still wouldn't have won... she's missing a 3 jump combo... will watch the top 4 or 5...

sad that reese and lulu seem to have disintegrated

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Megan Woodley is a very talented jumper... Her opening 3t-3t is so well rotated ! Almost 10 points right there. I liked her jumps so much, well, all the ones where she didn't Rippon :)

The rotation of the final 3salchow was finished way before she needed to land. Very impressive.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kara Yun. Very ambitious with two flips and two lutzes attempted. I am not sure she will "last"... she reminds me of Sarah Temura's who had this 3lz-3t and when it went away, the whole skating wasn't strong enough. I think Kara has more potential than Temura but I am not yet convinced. I felt the music arrangement was very well done... more than the performance to it... not so sure I would have given her such high PCS. Good come back skate however !

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Little parenthesis here as I saw the next 6 in warm up to say that Canada has evolved a lot. These young women are trained by a variety of coaches in diverse clubs all over the country. It's no longer Champs VS TCC ... there are very strong competitors from all over the place. This is very exciting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ROSE was amazing. MMM... I don't think Kara should have been placed ahead of her in the FP.

Rose's jumps were just done easily... no hassle. I wonder if the song just didn't appeal the judges.. it's this emo song by Quebec singer Marie-Mai... and it's monotonous but Rose skated well to it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Aleksa : very good presentation. It's very very sad she lost her 3t-3t into a pop.... because that's almost 10 points right there... The rest wasn't bad... I don't like the look of her salchow but she landed two of them. The spins are awesome !

Sackie

Medalist
That is what I said at the time 4everchan. After Rose skated I was sure she would be about 105 in the free so was shocked when her score came up and she was behind Kara. Then when Hetty skated I was sure Rose had won. Like you said Hety had too many errors compared to Rose.
I also agree about Abby - was surprised she didn't place higher.
So nice to see so many Jr Ladies going for the big jumps and combos. I remember the days when our Women - both Jr and Sr was won by the one who stood up the most - which usually meant they could win with even 2 or 3 clean triple jumps. I remember watching a video of a Can Women's event where Debbie Wilkes said about 1 and a half min into Josee's skate that she had already done more triples then any one else in the event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That is what I said at the time 4everchan. After Rose skated I was sure she would be about 105 in the free so was shocked when her score came up and she was behind Kara. Then when Hetty skated I was sure Rose had won. Like you said Hety had too many errors compared to Rose.
I also agree about Abby - was surprised she didn't place higher.
So nice to see so many Jr Ladies going for the big jumps and combos. I remember the days when our Women - both Jr and Sr was won by the one who stood up the most - which usually meant they could win with even 2 or 3 clean triple jumps. I remember watching a video of a Can Women's event where Debbie Wilkes said about 1 and a half min into Josee's skate that she had already done more triples then any one else in the event.
haha.. i remember that comment too... I think Josée had landed 3 jumps and it was already game over for the others.
I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next few years because the junior women seem stronger than the senior in terms of content planned... it doesn't mean they all landed everything... or that the overall skating is on par with the senior, but seeing so many ambitious programs from the juniors, with the triple triples combos, with the harder loop, lutz and flip jumps which were almost "exotic" a few years ago... and on top of that, if we don't count the pops, almost nobody needed to perform "planned" double jumps... I saw a couple... but out of 18 skaters... it was quite exciting. Unfortunately, Canada still needs a few more years to get on par with what is happening in Japan and Korea... so it may be hard to acquire more spots/opportunities to compete for this group of talented skaters... Let's hope that Skate Canada picks the right person to attend worlds this year and that this skater does the best she can to help in that sense ! (no pressure intended... just stating the facts as I feel that there is a lot of talent that may have to stay home next year and that irks me).

Sackie

Medalist
What also impressed me is that Ted and Kaetlyn mentioned that some of the Jr Women are starting to plan for trying 3 axels! They are not afraid to try the big jumps anymore and realize they need them to be competitive.