2023 Grand Prix Espoo Where are you watching? | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo Where are you watching?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Where are you watching?

1699272912037.png

For many the ISU channel works.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SkatingISU

🇺🇲

Peacock tiles are up, and you can add them to My Stuff.

USA Television Schedule

Nov. 19Grand Prix Espoo: Recap4 p.m.NBC*

*Check your local channel guide

🇨🇦

Times are Eastern

Fri Nov 176:00 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Men's Short Program
Fri Nov 177:50 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Pairs Short Program
Fri Nov 1710:00 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Women's Short Program
Fri Nov 1711:50 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Ice Dance Rhythm Dance
Sat Nov 185:30 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Men's Free Program
Sat Nov 187:40 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Pairs Free Program
Sat Nov 1810:30 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Women's Free Program
Sat Nov 1812:40 p.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Ice Dance Free Program
Sun Nov 197:00 a.m.ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating: Espoo 2023 - Gala

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It just occurred to me...that SBS on Demand here in Australia is probably streaming the Grand Prix since they have the rights.

And here I've been VPN-ing to get on YouTube like a silly person.

Goes to look - hmmm or maybe not, I'll have to check again closer to the time!

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
It just occurred to me...that SBS on Demand here in Australia is probably streaming the Grand Prix since they have the rights.

And here I've been VPN-ing to get on YouTube like a silly person.

Goes to look - hmmm or maybe not, I'll have to check again closer to the time!

When the first GP started this season I dug really hard in SBS on Demand to see whether they're livestreaming it, and couldn't find anything :shrug:

Then I thought maybe they're only going to have replays or highlights (since they still have some of those up from previous seasons). But here's the SBS on Demand Figure Skating page and nope, nothing for season 23/24 at all.

But, literally just now after a little bit of Googling, I found these 2 pages:

And this article from SBS themselves: https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/article/how-to-watch-2023-24-isu-figure-skating-live-on-sbs/j1ecj4swu
"SBS On Demand will provide live coverage of almost every competition along with full replays and highlights."

I wonder if that's why when I tried to look for SkAm livestream it wasn't there, maybe it's the one exception they're referring to by "almost" :biggrin:
They do have the replays for SkAm though, so that's interesting.

I will definitely check those pages above when the GP Espoo is on, and see whether they livestream that one.
But seems like I have to turn off adblock to play SBS videos, so I might stick to VPN+YT just to avoid ads, as I have YT Premium ;)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sadly, I will have to mostly watch replays because of the stinky time difference and hectic weekend schedule. Which is probably better than staying up till 1-2am every night, like Cup of China and most likely NHK Trophy...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But seems like I have to turn off adblock to play SBS videos, so I might stick to VPN+YT just to avoid ads, as I have YT Premium ;)
Haha yeah I noticed that myself! Even when I set my VPN to Australia it doesn't like it so you have to turn it off altogether. Very odd!

But thanks for those links! :biggrin: They don't make it easy to find!

Xorasy

Rinkside
Suddenly the ISU stream has been blocked in my country (Sweden). I could see the previous 4 grand prix competitions, and I can still see these live streams. Anyone know why it suddenly got blocked this week? 🤔

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Suddenly the ISU stream has been blocked in my country (Sweden). I could see the previous 4 grand prix competitions, and I can still see these live streams. Anyone know why it suddenly got blocked this week? 🤔
It seems to be all over the place, I'm from Australia and for the first time I don't need a VPN.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
It seems to be all over the place, I'm from Australia and for the first time I don't need a VPN.
You're right, I turned off my VPN and I can still watch from Youtube!

I went to the 2 SBS on Demand links that I found a few days ago, and there's no GP Espoo livestream. I'm honestly surprised that the ISU YT geoblocking for once works as intended 😂

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
It’s so annoying. No one has the rights in Sweden. YLE (Finland) shows it. Close but it’s not Sweden. It’s like ISU thinks: oh a Nordic broadcaster bought the rights… :scratch2: then all Nordic countries can watch. @norwegianfairytale what about Norway?

I can watch six men now one by one on replay, but not the whole competition. Weird.

I’ll write ISU if I get the energi.

:ot:Kudos to the organizers of Warsaw cup: free stream, tech box, planned elements showed and a nice speaking commentator(not talking through performances) with interesting information on skaters, coaches and skating as such. And I can watch when I have the time.

farornaskonung

Rinkside
It’s so annoying. No one has the rights in Sweden. YLE (Finland) shows it. Close but it’s not Sweden. It’s like ISU thinks: oh a Nordic broadcaster bought the rights… :scratch2: then all Nordic countries can watch. @norwegianfairytale what about Norway?

I can watch six men now one by one on replay, but not the whole competition. Weird.

:ot:Kudos to the organizers of Warsaw cup: free stream, tech box, planned elements showed and a nice speaking commentator(not talking through performances) with interesting information on skaters, coaches and skating as such. And I can watch when I have the time.
Same for me...
I wrote an email about it to ISU earlier today, not counting on them to read it or reply but perhaps worth a try.
Hopefully it has something to do with the nordic country-theory and will be resolved until NHK trophy and the final!

Country
Norway

VGTV, a Norwegian media concern, just randomly bought the rights for skating like 1-2 weeks ago for the rest of the season. As far from my understanding, it was some kind of cooperation where there were sponsor involved to be able to have a Norwegian provider for skating.

The cost for VG Sport is 129 kr a month. I just bought it, to find out they are using the ISU-stream provider, it´s Mark commenting.

https://tv.vg.no/

However, it´s very odd they blocked the stream in the other Nordic countries because I thought it was just Norway who got a provider in the last minute. Maybe ISU think this is for the whole Nordic countries.

However, maybe it´s possible to buy the VG sport for Nordic countries as well?

It´s kind of annoying because I have to watch it on my computer and can´t type here at the same time. I can cast it to my TV, but I don´t have chromecast. I used to watch YouTube on my SmartTV.

I´m started to get really annoyed by the back of forth of provider, in the last year we had everything from NRK, Eurosport, Viaplay, a few weeks with YouTube and now VGTV. And step by step they are making it less available by making people watch on platforms they usually would not have.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
VGTV, the Norwegian media concern, just randomly bought the rights for skating like 1-2 weeks ago for the rest of the season. As far from my understanding, it was some kind of cooperation where there were sponsor involved to be able to have a Norwegian provider for skating.

The cost for VG Sport is 129 kr a month. I just bought it, to find out they are using the ISU-stream provider, it´s Mark commenting.

https://tv.vg.no/

However, it´s very odd they blocked the stream in the other Nordic countries because I thought it was just Norway who got a provider in the last minute. Maybe ISU think this is for the whole Nordic countries.

However, maybe it´s possible to buy the VG sport for Nordic countries as well?

It´s kind of annoying because I have to watch it on my computer and can´t type here at the same time. I can cast it too my TV, but I don´t have chromecast here. I used to watch YouTube on my SmartTV.
Suppose Verdens Gang found out that Nent group didn't broadcast skating anymore. And bought it because speed skating is big in Norway. Figure skating came with the package.

Could be. I don't want it so I didn't dare to try. And how could I even know of this oppurtunity???

It's not like they inform you here https://isu.org/figure-skating/media/wtw#europe

Haha, all the technical ways we have and still all those problems.

Can you watch some performances from men and pairs on the ISU channel as I can.?

I don't know a thing.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Suppose Verdens Gang found out that Nent group didn't broadcast skating anymore. And bought it because speed skating is big in Norway. Figure skating came with the package.

Could be. I don't want it so I didn't dare to try. And how could I even know of this oppurtunity???

It's not like they inform you here https://isu.org/figure-skating/media/wtw#europe

Haha, all the technical ways we have and still all those problems.

Can you watch some performances from men and pairs on the ISU channel as I can.?

I don't know a thing.
You are right, the press release about this was focused on speed skating (world cup?). It did not mention directly that the rights would be including figure skating as well (surprise surprise), but I figured it out since it was the right for skating it would most likely get figure skating with the package. So I checked myself and found the GP Espoo on the upcoming events.

The last uploaded video I can see is from Cup of China, so it´s all blocked for me. It´s perhaps a good sign that ISU made a mistake here by blocking out Sweden, maybe they not really intended to do so? Hope you get a reply from them!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
You are right, the press release about this was focused on speed skating (world cup?). It did not mention directly that the rights would be including figure skating as well (surprise surprise), but I figured it out since it was the right for skating it would most likely get figure skating with the package. So I checked myself and found the GP Espoo on the upcoming events.

The last uploaded video I can see is from Cup of China, so it´s all blocked for me. It´s perhaps a good sign that ISU made a mistake here by blocking out Sweden, maybe they not really intended to do so? Hope you get a reply from them!
And that's another big issue. If they block us they must tell us where we can watch.

Oh well, now I'll watch men's comp with a vpn.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm confused. If it's both speed skating and figure skating - I (here in Sweden) can still watch as much speed skating as my heart desires (which is none):

Also, I can watch some individual videos:

But I cannot see the livestream. This is both perplexing, frustrating & annoying.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
May I ask what VPN you use? I've tried AVG secure VPN and it didn't work...
Today I'm using Opera with the built in VPN. On my computer back home I use Proton, which has been recommended here on GS. Poster Minz :thank: is a very helpful poster if you have problems.

Here is what I've picked up from the forum:

For free, ProtonVPN and Windscribe are both really safe, Proton has unlimited data and a Netherlands server, which has an unblocked stream

Urban VPN chrome free

NordVPN

Surfshark VPN

I also e-mailed ISU. They won't answer during the weekend, but I think it's a mistake that Sweden and Denmark are excluded from the Youtube channel..

Last edited:

farornaskonung

Rinkside
Today I'm using Opera with the built in VPN. On my computer back home I use Proton, which has been recommended here on GS. Poster Minz :thank: is a very helpful poster if you have problems.

Here is what I've picked up from the forum:

For free, ProtonVPN and Windscribe are both really safe, Proton has unlimited data and a Netherlands server, which has an unblocked stream

Urban VPN chrome free

NordVPN

Surfshark VPN

I also e-mailed ISU. They won't answer during the weekend, but I think it's a mistake that Sweden and Denmark are excluded from the Youtube channel..
Thank you so much! Was able to watch using ProtonVPN :giggle: