2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm glad someone got her an Estonian flag for the lap of honour at least. I'm appalled at the medal ceremony, though. a) the flags looked like they were digital, so surely they should have had an Estonian template available. b) if they didn't have an Estonian flag, it would have been better to not show a flag at all.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Catching up on the early skaters, and on the subject of Clare Seo's name, idk if she anglicizes it, but I know that in Korean it's definitely not See-oh like the commentators said on E! It's written 서. ㅓis the vowel, and it gets transliterated as 'eo', but the sound isn't "ee-oh". It's basically a soft 'o' (IPA: [ʌ̹] ). So 'Saw' isn't totally right, but closer than "See-oh". Video from a Korean-English interpreter.

But I haven't seen how Clare herself says it. She may say See-oh.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
such a great skater, but I hate everything about that program: the "music" (and I really like Madonna), the choreo with all the silly, repetitive arm moves, especially while she's basically just standing, the outfit...
yes, it stands out, but this is not something I enjoy watching
Yeah, she's a strong skater and w/o the Russians she's now a contender, (like Gubanova now is) but I usually don't like her programs and always question her PCS. She has a beautiful face and body and she's being marketed as having "movie star looks" and would look great on any poster or ad plugging FS, but I expect more than I'm getting when she gets these scores.

Last edited:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I am more than sure it is not what she really likes. It is how her choreographer Adam Solya wants her to look and Loena, fortunately or unfortunately, unconditionally trusts the guidance.

How can you be more than sure it is not what she really likes??

The way she performed and expressed herself on ice shows how much she loves doing that style. There's only so much fake-selling one can do if one doesn't like programs like this, especially multiple times over.

And she is an adult woman, I'm sure if she doesn't like what her choreographer gives her, she will speak her mind. And how do we know it's not Loena herself who suggested / requested these programs?

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I think they do not know how Estonian flag looks 😭😭😭!!!! I am not surprised because I am from Baltic states; people not always know about the existence of us 😭
They knew the flag for the name inserts. I guess someone thought Hana got bronze and completely forgot that Niina was there too.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I think they do not know how Estonian flag looks 😭😭😭!!!! I am not surprised because I am from Baltic states; people not always know about the existence of us 😭
If they don't know what the flag looks like, they should ask! And if they somehow don't have an Estonian one (which really should not be an issue when they were just digital images...) then it would be better to not have a flag than to use the flag for a different country.

withwings

On the Ice
such a great skater, but I hate everything about that program: the "music" (and I really like Madonna), the choreo with all the silly, repetitive arm moves, especially while she's basically just standing, the outfit...
yes, it stands out, but this is not something I enjoy watching
Agree. I do feel very sad about her programs and music choice as well as.. I wish Loena has had a different choreographer. Does Adam Solya even knows how to skate?? I doubt he knows. IMHO he tries to shape, to impose on her his vision without allowing her even to express her own.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Had Amber added a 2A 2A sequence to her popped jump, she would have scored close to 200 and ended up with a bronze medal.
She just looked out of her zone (whatever that might be) in the second half, and considering she frequently and inexplicably doesn't do a third combo, I can't see her thinking on her feet like that. The time off most likely affected her stamina, but with Amber there always seems to be something causing her poor performances. Champions have a mindset unlike non-champions. They know how to get the job done somehow. Amber just seems to sabotage herself all the time. Champion skaters just don't do that. Loved her 3axel, so hopefully that bugaboo is gone now. I really just think she should get her three combos out of the way in the first half. So that's three passes checked off. She is defo not the kind of skater who should save her combos for the second half. I've been a fan of her skating since 2015 when she competed at JrWorlds with Karen Chen, and yet here we are nine seasons later and it's one disappointment after another with her. I prefer her to Bradie, but Bradie has a champion's mindset and I would trust her anyday over Amber at an important event. I was such a big fan of Bobek way back when so I learned my lesson with skaters who are more likely to bomb but give me the "feels". It's too much. Karen Chen was the last of those skaters I mentally invested in, but I quickly learned with her too. I don't think this SA outing has put her in any standing for Worlds to be honest, even if she pulls a miracle at Nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad for Amber. The first 3 elements were stellar. That 3axel !!! SIgh.... It seems to happen a lot when a skater succeeds a big trick, they get excited and then collapse later on in the program. :(
An adult skater sitting beside me said there was something hanging off Ambers skate …a piece of tape? Something.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it just me, or are more people skating to classical music than in recent years? If so, it's a welcome change, in my opinion. Some of these programs have been really lovely.

(And yes, I realize we're about to see a Madonna program.)
It almost put me to sleep. I was freezing and dying from so much slooooowwwwww lyrical music. Am sitting in a bar across from the rink still freezing.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She just looked out of her zone (whatever that might be) in the second half, and considering she frequently and inexplicably doesn't do a third combo, I can't see her thinking on her feet like that. The time off most likely affected her stamina, but with Amber there always seems to be something causing her poor performances. Champions have a mindset unlike non-champions. They know how to get the job done somehow. Amber just seems to sabotage herself all the time. Champion skaters just don't do that. Loved her 3axel, so hopefully that bugaboo is gone now. I really just think she should get her three combos out of the way in the first half. So that's three passes checked off. She is defo not the kind of skater who should save her combos for the second half. I've been a fan of her skating since 2015 when she competed at JrWorlds with Karen Chen, and yet here we are nine seasons later and it's one disappointment after another with her. I prefer her to Bradie, but Bradie has a champion's mindset and I would trust her anyday over Amber at an important event. I was such a big fan of Bobek way back when so I learned my lesson with skaters who are more likely to bomb but give me the "feels". It's too much. Karen Chen was the last of those skaters I mentally invested in, but I quickly learned with her too. I don't think this SA outing has put her in any standing for Worlds to be honest, even if she pulls a miracle at Nationals.
Agree with everything posted on here.

It is just such a shame cause she has so much height on her jumps. With a landed 3A, you are able to add points to the other jumping passes to easily exceed a TES score of 80.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m sorry, Isabeau is just not my cup of tea. Congratulations to her, but my thing is strong powerful women skaters, not delicate flowers.
Just got done with some macaroni and cheese with Cajun sausage and shrimp. It was warm and I’m still cold. Although I did also have a frozen hurricane which may not have helped.