2024 World Junior Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2024 World Junior Championships Women's Free Skate

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
It’s actually three in row, Barton. I really wish Jin would have won in 2022. If I recall, there was only a half point between her and Levito. I think that was her highest score yet she looked so disappointed. She’s tired of the silver at this point.

XianYing

Rinkside
Mao wins again! Jia was amazing, same as the others skaters. I didn't watch all programs today, but the junior field is very competitive after the age change. The fact that both Jia and Mao can't compete for a medal at senior Worlds right now is so sad, while they can win one. Please ISU say that you made a mistake and change the age. It does more bad than good... If I am right Mao can't even compete in Milan '26 under the new age... She will be stuck in juniors for too long (this will also not be nice for other skaters, cause I see her winning a lot of times), we can lose talent.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I got the podium + 5th place correct in my predictions :biggrin: 4th place is waaaay off though 😂

Did anyone put Iida Karhunen in their predictions game?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Jia is a three-time JWC silver medallist and she still has to skate in juniors again next season.
I think she's a two or three-time senior nats champs too.
I hope next season she will get the PCS she deserves at least.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Mao wins again! Jia was amazing, same as the others skaters. I didn't watch all programs today, but the junior field is very competitive after the age change. The fact that both Jia and Mao can't compete for a medal at senior Worlds right now is so sad, while they can win one. Please ISU say that you made a mistake and change the age. It does more bad than good... If I am right Mao can't even compete in Milan '26 under the new age... She will be stuck in juniors for too long (this will also not be nice for other skaters, cause I see her winning a lot of times), we can lose talent.

No. The age change was absolutely correct. And if skaters do not last until they are 17/18, that's a problem of their coaches and technique or maybe also the whole judging system which rewards the wrong strengths, but it doesn't mean that we should change the age back.

rabidline

Final Flight
Yeah, but she's not a pairs girlie, she doesn't have that energy about her, if you know what I mean. 😅
She wouldn't look out of place in Dance though, but Hamada doesn't have any Dancers I think, so obviously she couldn't try to pair her up with one 🤷‍♀️
Now that I think about it, if Hamada can convince Shunsuke Nakamura to switch...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow. What a beautiful programme to finish with.

And because of that, it was so sad to see how disappointed Jia looked when the scores came through and she found out she was second.

So what that you didn't win. That was a skate to be proud of.

As far as I can gather from Rink Results and Skating Scores, these were her highest FS and overall scores outside of Korean competitions. And most of the higher scores that she achieved in Korean competitions are from this season, which goes to show just how good this programme is.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

XianYing

Rinkside
Congrats to the medalists! :clap:

And shoutout to Iida, Anastasia, Sarina, Stefania for keeping the big players on their toes. Well done everyone! :clap:
True! I love the fact that smaller federations are getting better and better. Some skaters that I also really liked were Elina, Phattaratida (the fact she is from Thailand is so cool!), Noelle. and so on. I didn't know a lot of these skaters. Also some skaters that didn't made the free surprised me.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Podium Ceremony starting now.

CaroLiza_fan

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It’s actually three in row, Barton. I really wish Jin would have won in 2022. If I recall, there was only a half point between her and Levito. I think that was her highest score yet she looked so disappointed. She’s tired of the silver at this point.
That's the only one she could realisatically win and i too think she should have won.
Mao is a beast. The only comp she lost in three seasons is senior nats. Without Mao, Jia would be a JGPF and JWC champ.

Congrats to Mao btw. Nerves of steel.

fehervari

On the Ice
maybe one day there will be 9 judges who value elegance and presentation skills more than a 4toe... but of course congrats for Shimada

fehervari

On the Ice
funny how Ted Barton didn't recognize Marin Honda. approx. the camera only showed her 10 times. anyway, what is the good Marin doing there?

readernick

Medalist
Really great competition! The music in the arena was quieter today. Thankfully! Ikura and Rena were my favorites artistically today. Rena does have noticeably bad posture even in person but she's a lovely performer. Ikura's skating and musicality were the best IMHO. But, her jumps and spins clearly aren't. I would gladly watch her skate around the rink and do steps anytime. Maybe, ice dance?

Little Elina has some serious power in her tiny legs.I don't know who thought that depressing program was it. Maria Elise is a pretty amazing skater. Good basics and power. I already mentioned how much I like Sherry. She looked so nervous before her skate. She's a bit like Amber in that she does everything well but seems to lack confidence. But, she's young so I believe in her. Inga's jumps are WOW! Sarina's skating is much nicer in person than I expected. She has power she just needs to learn to perform.

The Korean twins have the most beautiful costumes. But, I understand the judges scores. I think they are correct in their assessment of their skating.

Mao and Jia are both incredible. Mao looked so nervous before her program but her jumps are great and her spins and spirals are incredible. Jia's skating is soft, powerful, and beautiful. My husband is a new fan. I'm still neutral. They are both great and deserve their wins but I, personally, prefer others.

XianYing

Rinkside
No. The age change was absolutely correct. And if skaters do not last until they are 17/18, that's a problem of their coaches and technique or maybe also the whole judging system which rewards the wrong strengths, but it doesn't mean that we should change the age back.
It has it pros and cons, but as an ex high performance athlete (China: diving) who wouldn't make the cut (for example when I was too young, but had the level), it would probably ruin my career. Especially with the competition in the field. ISU need to change the judging system 100%, for example scoring everyone equal. Now it is like 'ah I know you, well you are 1-0 infront'.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
So the Jr Worlds spots for next season should be:

JPN 3
CAN, EST, FIN, FRA, ITA, KOR, SUI, USA 2
And JGP spots:
2 entries in 7 events: JPN, KOR, FIN
1 entry in 7 events*: SUI, ITA, USA
1 entry in 6 events: FRA, CAN, EST, GEO
1 entry in 5 events: THA, CZE, HUN, ISR, TPE, POL
1 entry in 4 events: GER, AUS, SWE, SLO, SVK, KGZ
1 entry in 3 events: AUT, LAT, NED, KAZ, BUL, CRO, UKR, RSA, LTU, HKG, AZE, TUR, NOR, MEX, PHI, GBR

*Can receive additional spots if countries placed ahead of them don't use their allocated spots.

Countries hosting JGPs can enter up to 3 skaters as host spots, all other countries not mentioned can enter one skater in two events.