Abbott in for another season? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Abbott in for another season?

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Me, I think it is possible, but not easy, for both of these great skaters to learn the skills they lack. I expect Jason to have a quad some day. And if it is something Max wants, I expect his performance skills to improve still more. Boitano did it, why not Max? I have a lot of respect for Max; he tried hard to up his game this year. He will improve. It just isn't something that a magic coach can wave his wand and fix. But I do wish someone with costume sense would help him. For that, I do blame his coaching team.

You do have to realize that a lot of fans, me included, just love to watch Jason skate. That is not cutting him a pass. He does not have to medal to make me happy, just to skate, and to skate well. Heck, I was/am a huge fan of Rohene Ward. It was the same.

I agree that there is no magic answer. To improve takes time and hard work for both the athlete(s) and that coach(es) not just some magic wand a coach can wave and presto chango we have the perfect skater. When they come up they are usually skewed either to the jumper side or the artistry side and have to work hard to improve their weaknesses. I am thinking about the comments Charlie White made on DWTS when detailing the Olympic quad between Vancouver and Sochi. Paraphrasing here but basically he said that he and Meryl met with Igor and Marina in a frank discussion to figure out what they were lacking compared to the Canadians who had just beat them. Then they proceeded to work on those details so that they could make their silver into gold. It takes a frank look at what is needed, a lot of hard work in training and preparation, and a little bit of luck. It is not impossible and some skaters like Michelle Kwan or Meryl/Charlie had made transitions to more balanced skating but many stayed on the extremes and just hoped for either the judging pendulum to swing towards rewarding jumpers (or vice-versa to artists) or hoping others around them made mistakes for them to win.

noskates

Record Breaker
Golden, I'm trying, I'm trying. Had I not met Max in person and seen what a truly sweet young man he is I probably wouldn't even try. I just don't care for his skating but I certainly don't wish him failure, either. I think someone with his mad physical talent should do whatever he can to improve his performance. Didn't see it this year sadly.

Nigel

On the Ice
Jeremy should take on some lower level/younger students in Detroit this season...ie intermediate -junior, and start doing choreography for them and find out if he even likes working with other skaters. AFAIK, he has ONLY done choreo for himself. It is much different to try and verbalize and demonstrate what you are looking for in terms of body movement, musicality, etc, to another person than it is to translate your thoughts into your own movements. He has talked about this for several years...wanting to do choreo, but haven't seen him take it on like some of the other skaters who are/were still competing and doing choreo...ie Adam Rippon, Jonathan Cassar, I think Bebe Liang was doing choreo and coaching at the end of her competitive career, to name a few. I understand that Jeremy would like to end his competitive career on a high note, but with the younger skaters both US and internationally already having surpassed him technically it is not likely for him to see a world podium. He would have to get the quad, and up the ante on a lot of his transitions. And, with Patrick Chan talking about coming back into the mix internationally, I think the writing is on the wall. With Jeremy's link to Aspen (his hometown), he should think about spending summers in Colorado, set up a school at his rink in Aspen, and teach/do choreo there during the summers, and then head back to Detroit for the competitive part of the season to fine tune. Just a thought.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Actually, he has done programs for other skaters, but they were show programs, not competitive ones. [that I know of anyway]

To be competitive again, Jeremy would need to get his quad back, develop the stamina to get through the jumps at the end of an LP , AND deal with his nemesis : focus and performance nerves at big competitions.

Jeremy is a stunningly beautiful skater. Just watching him skate before his name is called is wonderful.

I hope he can be happy whatever he decides-and that he can make a living in skating, which is what he seems to want to do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still think he can medal at worlds but his window is shrinking. I also think he has the potential to bomb as well. I just am amazed how he can financially keep on going; skating isn't cheap. I would love to see one good performance from him and then a nice farewell:)

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jeremy tweeted to fans yesterday that he was too far down the rankings to get a WTT assignment [as many Japanese Fans had hoped for]

He also tweeted links to skaters that inspired him -

I think he's done. He's far down the ranking, money is an issue. He also didn't get SOI or CSOI this year. That is a huge loss.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
RE: WTT

That does seem to be the case. Per http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/188306/wtt2015_announcement_final.pdf

The skaters who qualify for WTT are basically top two in GP events and top two at Worlds. For GP, that's Jason (silver) and Max/Richard (bronze at GP). For Worlds it's top two of Adam, Jason and Josh.

Jeremy's world standing is 30th and he's 21st in Season's best. He looks good to get one GP, if not two, next season, if he opts to continue.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy tweeted to fans yesterday that he was too far down the rankings to get a WTT assignment [as many Japanese Fans had hoped for]

He also tweeted links to skaters that inspired him -

I think he's done. He's far down the ranking, money is an issue. He also didn't get SOI or CSOI this year. That is a huge loss.

I also saw his tweets. I also think he's done, and not just for WTT.

His tweets had a retrospective, nostalgic feel to them... the kind of thing that one would reflect upon at the end of a career... who inspired him, who he wanted to emulate in his career, that sort of thing.

If this is true, I wish him well.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I also saw his tweets. I also think he's done, and not just for WTT.

His tweets had a retrospective, nostalgic feel to them... the kind of thing that one would reflect upon at the end of a career... who inspired him, who he wanted to emulate in his career, that sort of thing.

If this is true, I wish him well.

agree

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m sad for Abbott, he is such a beautiful skater, but unfortunately not a good competitor at Worlds nor at Olympics as he has shown many times. And he has had plenty of opportunities...

centerpt1

On the Ice
Yet, at least twice he was the US men's highest World Placement. People forget that. 5th at Worlds twice is pretty darn good.

2010, 2012 and 2014 he was excellent at Nationals. {in 09 he was very good}

He also didn't go to Worlds several years- but yes, he had issues with the SP at both Olympics.

He never seemed to be a favorite of TPTB- he never was on the Jr GP, and I think only was sent to one Jr international competition.

I hope he gets some pro show work......

Last edited:

salchowx4

On the Ice
I don't agree that he was never a favorite of the TPTB. As a senior, he was supported by his federation and the international community liked him. He was just never able to get it together enough mentally to place as high as he could have.

He's a strong skater and good performer. I hope he does shows for years to come (if that is what he wants, of course).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about the TPTB thing.

My recollection is that when he skated well, he was rewarded. When he didn't, scores reflected that, too.

I have some history of being critical towards Jeremy, and I want to clear that up. I have been disappointed and frustrated in his inconsistent competitive performances, brought about mainly by confidence issues, IMO.

That does not mean that I do not acknowledge the beauty of his skating in general, nor that I dislike him or his style. Very much the contrary.

I wish him luck in the next chapter of his life.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uh, yeah. TPTB LOVED Jeremy. I mean, we all know that he should have been pewter in 2013, not bronze. He got more promotional airtime leading into the Olympic season than the reigning National Champion.

I hope he is able to get picked up on plenty of shows - there's a lot of special skating that the world is yet to see. Shame that the pro circuit isn't as strong any more.

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't know that about WTT. That's a shame, I was hoping the US fed might give Max and Jeremy WTT as a consolation prize.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There is still a chance; skaters often do not want to do WTT.

Yes, but if I read that right, Jeremy can't go because of his current ranking/standing. That's disappointing. I'm sure the Japanese fans would have given him a great send-off.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

That does seem to be the case. Per http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/188306/wtt2015_announcement_final.pdf

The skaters who qualify for WTT are basically top two in GP events and top two at Worlds. For GP, that's Jason (silver) and Max/Richard (bronze at GP). For Worlds it's top two of Adam, Jason and Josh.

Jeremy's world standing is 30th and he's 21st in Season's best. He looks good to get one GP, if not two, next season, if he opts to continue.

Would Max qualify even? He and Richard had the same finishes, but Richard was officially ranked ahead of him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Would Max qualify even? He and Richard had the same finishes, but Richard was officially ranked ahead of him.

But if Jason finishes top two of the US men at Worlds (likely) then wouldn't that remove him from the GP list?

I didn't realise that Ricky was officially ahead of Max. Why?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

The skaters who qualify for WTT are basically top two in GP events and top two at Worlds. For GP, that's Jason (silver) and Max/Richard (bronze at GP). For Worlds it's top two of Adam, Jason and Josh. ...

IMO, the WTT announcement is saying something different.

Countries qualify for WTT based on points earned by the top two skaters in GPs and top two at Worlds.
BUT ... I don't think those skaters are the only ones eligible to compete at WTT.

The doc does say:
Furthermore, in case that one or more of the best ranked Skaters/Couples (in the ISU World Standings valid after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015) of a Qualified ISU Member elects not to participate, the ISU reserves the right to exclude such team from the competition and to invite instead the Member/s whose team is ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.
But we know that a number of top-ranked skaters did not compete at WTT 2013, with no negative repercussions for their countries or themselves.

The only other restriction I see is that top-ranked skaters who don't compete at WTT are forbidden from participating in other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the same time period.
3.2 Consequences of non-participation
...Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (March 30, 2015) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 20, 2015.

So ... my guess is that in practice, if some of the top Team USA skaters (who earned the points that qualified the USA for WTT) choose not to participate, Team USA would be allowed to send others instead (as long as the Team USA skaters who do not compete do not appear elsewhere at a competition/show/exhibition).

Last edited: