Alexandra Trusova leaves Plushenko | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova leaves Plushenko

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Well, good luck to Gleikhengauz with creating programs for 6 potential Olympic medalists. Or are they finally hiring someone external to make at least some of the new choreographies?

Watch out half keeping their current programs lol

I think they already said Valieva will keep that messy Bolero, although personally i was expecting them to keep the short cause Eric Radford composed the song, nice PR for Skate Canada.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Well, I think Kamila should keep her two programs for this season. It wasn't seen internationally, and they are wonderful. She can use the time perfecting her 4sal and 3axel while others are struggling to learn new choreography and skills. She has it all, and just needs to MAINTAIN and solidify everything she has. Quite an enviable position for her.

As for the others, it seems like Anna can keep her SP, and even Sasha. The only one who I feel desperately needs a new and much better program/s is Maiia Khromykh. Her SP is okay so maybe she can keep that, but if she comes out in the new season with a stunning program and two 4toes, a 4sal, and a 3axel, she could instantly join the OGM favorites, and not just for making the team.
They already said Kamila is keeping her Bolero FS weeks ago.

They won't have Sasha keep her programs (likely). Those were choreographed by Sergei R and Plushy and they won't let her have those lol.

As for Maiia - yes that would be true. But that's quite a jump considering we've only seen her land a 4T and 4S once each (although yes in the same program.) We've never even heard she's attempting a 3A and she's never done a 4T in combo.

So by that logic, everyone else will upgrade even more too.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artemisa said:
To be honest .. I don't understand. I thought it was a match made in heaven... she had everything to gain staying with Plushy

# Plushy is to calm .. so there is some kind of problem with trusova .. because the punch is hard .. trusova and kostornaia left
# Russian Fed send some kind of message to trusova ... the olympic team will be chosen from eteri period
# Eteri is a witch

I'm trying to get it .. and I don't
I think for Westerners it is hard to grasp and they never will; they arre too naive though "naive" is not the right word chose.

Would you please clarify this further? Was @Artemisa's post quoting someone else's, partially?

Please be assured, I'm not looking to start an argument. I'm interested in these thoughts, because I'm fascinated by the links between language and culture. If you'd rather reply by PM, that's fine.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I posted this on FSU earlier, but I haven’t seen this perspective mentioned on Goldenskate, so here is my take: if Trusova and her parents had agreed to train with Plushenko for just this past year and now the time had come to renew/renegotiate the agreement, maybe Plushenko was asking her to commit to his training team for a longer term than she/her parents felt comfortable committing to. (All that contract business he brought up after Kostornaia left him comes to mind.) Whereas, maybe Eteri’s school was happy to coach Trusova for the Olympic season and see what happens after that. Trusova may still want the flexibility of shopping around for the best coaching situation. If she wins the Olympics or even medals, her stock would be pretty high and another top coach besides Eteri (Plushenko is famous, but not yet for coaching success) may be happy to work with her post-Olympics. She may still be looking to play the long game, aiming to be part of more than one Olympic team. She said this year she wanted to skate until she’s 22. She might not have wanted to commit on a longer term basis to as untested a coach as Plushenko and lose perhaps a future opportunity to transfer to a coach like Mishin or Arutynyan. Or even to stay with Eteri, if that works well for her.
Because she seems happy at PA this is mind blowing. They were just talking about sasha working with rafi last week. I think Alyona returning to TT made sasha think about what's really going on and where she will have the best chance to make the Olympic team. Without question that is at TT and then after the Olympic season she and a few other girls can re evaluate their situations.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Sasha's leaving and returning went smoothly because she followed protocols.

Sasha left Eteri during the allowed transfer window, where as Alena left outside of it and had to get an exception from the federation.

According to Plushenko, Sasha left Plushenko after their contract finished so she had no more ties. Alena left while still on her contract, so she had to break the contract and negotiations had to be made.

Overall, Sasha's case was handled much better and she fulfilled all the requirements so she had no complications.
You know that is true and that's why sashes transfer as shocking as it was when so much smoother than Alions is transferred back to TT which was mind blowing.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
That was their plan from the start, they want Eteri to control everything in Ladies (and potentially Men's too, they'd love it) like Viner does in gymnastics.
I don't know about men, it seems like it's still a very multipolar situation... Also the Fed probably can't make up their mind over who to back since nobody's very consistent! Kolyada is getting a fair bit of positive press, but I think he earned it.

I wonder if some inherent physical/psychological differences between the genders makes Eteri's methods less effective on average for male skaters. Davydov and Panova (also fairly successful with girls, at least junior ones) haven't had great success with boys either. On the other hand coaches of the national team's men (Mishin, Rukavicin, Daineko etc.) don't have many strong girls. Not sure if it's a chicken or egg thing - maybe they just prefer taking on boys - but their skaters on average are older. The developmental trajectory for male skaters generally peaks later and is spread out over more years. I wonder if deliberately training to peak around 15-16 (the norm for girls nowadays) is hindering Eteri/Davydov's success rate with men? Boys grow taller around that time and are vulnerable to injury, while girls have mostly reached adult height (it's 17-18 when other shape changes occur that can throw them off).
Hope this is not an inappropriate topic to discuss...

Amei

Record Breaker
This one confuses me. Sasha seemed a good fit with Plushenko and has shown improvements with her skating. They seemed to have the same goals and work ethic. He gave her the individual attention she wanted and that seemed to be a main factor in her decision to leave Eteri. I feel sorry for Plushenko with this one. I bet he’s genuinely heartbroken.
But...at the end of the day our confusion and speculation doesn’t matter. These girls are in it to win it at any cost. They’re doing what they think is best for their own career, and it seems cutthroat in Russia.
Eteri has really gained some respect from me though. She takes these girls back, nurtures them and they seem to show improvement. She definitely cares about them. Plushenko also seemed to really care about Sasha and I hope he finds a skater of his own to find that bond with.

Agree with most of your comment here, Plushenko seemed to address all of Trusova's issues that she had with Eteri and now she's going back. Kostornaia I can understand because she took a pretty noticeable step back on her skating and based on what's been said AoP was just not the right environment for her.

This one confuses me. Sasha seemed a good fit with Plushenko and has shown improvements with her skating. They seemed to have the same goals and work ethic. He gave her the individual attention she wanted and that seemed to be a main factor in her decision to leave Eteri. I feel sorry for Plushenko with this one. I bet he’s genuinely heartbroken.
But...at the end of the day our confusion and speculation doesn’t matter. These girls are in it to win it at any cost. They’re doing what they think is best for their own career, and it seems cutthroat in Russia.
Eteri has really gained some respect from me though. She takes these girls back, nurtures them and they seem to show improvement. She definitely cares about them. Plushenko also seemed to really care about Sasha and I hope he finds a skater of his own to find that bond with.

I don't necessarily think this is some altruistic move on Eteri's part: of the main contenders for the Olympic team - she has all but 1, the only 1 she doesn't have is Tuktamysheva, and her skaters are very likely to make up all but 1 spot of the main National team and quite possibly several of the spots on the reserve team. I mean she's pretty much a lock right now to have at least 2 skaters on the Olympic team, and honestly I wouldn't be shocked if just based on sheer skills she has all 3 ladies skaters for the Olympic team.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I honestly don't know how people get the idea that Rozanov or, even more outlandish, Dima M. might have any desire to follow Sasha to Khrustalnyi. :palmf:
These are adults with an established career, they won't uproot their entire lives because of some girls' whims. It is not a figure skating coach's business to follow the athletes around from club to club. Dima M. is working with the fishing rod at AoP's rink as we speak, if you believe insta.

Perhaps "follow" isn't the right word, Rozanov didn't exactly follow her to AoP. AoP right now has what only a couple of notable junior skaters, does the facility really need all of the coaches that they have, plus AoP has had several coaching departures this season as well - from the outside it looks like perhaps an unstable organization to be involved with right now. If a coach gets a better opportunity to be part of an established team with a record of winning, that's going to help their career resume.

Oh no, i hoped he learned that Blitzkrieg isn’t going to work in figure skating. It’s not a systemic problem, that Sasha lost to Liza Tuk at worlds, it’s a Plushenko problem. I’m sure her performances at Rostelecom and Worlds didn’t make her happy this season. Had she delivered something like that next season, it’s almost certain she would’ve been left off the team.

He wanted to go to Olympics straight with 1-2 years of coaching experience, by hunting coaches like Rozanov and having a star-studded coaching stuff of Olympic champions, building a rink and small houses, and giving lucrative contracts, well it turns out coaching is more complex than that. You actually have to build expertise and knowledge, and build your own system.
He learned it the hard way, that you have to learn and grow first, before you will be able to teach. At least, I hope he learned that.

Trusova lost to Tuktamysheva at worlds because she had a big error on a jump in the SP; I'm sure with some digging we could find other skaters that had an error on a jump that set them back. It was Trusova's fault not Plushenko

To be honest .. I don't understand. I thought it was a match made in heaven... she had everything to gain staying with Plushy

# Plushy is to calm .. so there is some kind of problem with trusova .. because the punch is hard .. trusova and kostornaia left
# Russian Fed send some kind of message to trusova ... the olympic team will be chosen from eteri period
# Eteri is a witch

I'm trying to get it .. and I don't

Well he wasn't too reactive to Kostornaia leaving, it was when the business management of AoP became involved with Kostornaia leaving. I think Plushenko is perhaps just needing to nurse his pride* and public image a bit? I mean look at the situation he took 2 of the top skaters from the 19-20 season and talked a lot about how great and better his school was, etc. and now after 1 season both of those skaters left him/his organization to go back to their old coach 1 of which did some pretty public groveling of acknowledging her bad decision to leave in the first place. And he's gone from having 2 contenders for the Olympic team to having none, ouch, even if he's mostly in the same place he was at the conclusion of the 2019-2020 season.

*To clarify my use of the word pride, I'm not talking about it in a bad sense - everyone has some level of pride in their work and what they are doing/achieving.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
But but I've just got you Raf for next season and now you left me. Haha. Well clearly Trusova dad still wasnt happy with that. I'm sure Trusova is a very humble girl but it seems like her dad is the one making her play the ground is lava everytime the slightest thing go wrong. I hope this will drive down his ego. As for Plushenko and his claim to be "world's greatest coach". LOL
I totally forgot about the whole "Raf is helping us with training" thing haha. I guess that was a no from Raf.
Plushenko was definitely trying to keep Sasha happy but honestly, by going back to Eteri, Sasha's chances of making the Olympic team and even winning the whole thing just increased significantly, which makes me very excited for her.

I think Plush had good intentions for Sasha and they were a good match in some ways but, after such a rollercoaster season, it's clear that he's not ready to coach someone of Sasha's and Kosto's level and he definitely can't compete with Eteri as a coach. There's just no comparison.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Aliona follows Sasha, and then Sasha follows Aliona. Girls are magnetic!
Maybe it went like this:
Anya, Sasha, Alyona got hold of the magic lamp, genie grants each of them wishes
Sasha: I want more dogs, a chalet, and a separate rink! - DONE!
Alyona: I want horses, to smile more, and contracts! - DONE!
Anya: Hmmm, I want all the gold medals in the season... and those two back here
🤣

Skuratov

On the Ice
Sasha was very happy with PLushenko and Mikhailov but her father was not pleased with the results obtained.
In his obsession with sending his daughter to the Olympics, he thought that only former coaches can restore her to her optimal shape. So he just made the right call to Renat Laishev.
Sasha will be forced to repeat the speech: "it was my decision" but no one will believe it.
For Laishev it will be a political and media triumph, remember that he promised to bring Sasha and Alena back.

But there are two problems:
1) Eteri has only one project called Kamila. Preparing the other skaters is a secondary task with a lower priority.
2) Sasha does not listen/obey the coaches. Her previous departure from the TT was because these coaches restricted jumping (3Lz+3Lo, 3A in SP, More than 3 quads in FS) Do you remember that Match TV documentary called "In four turns"? that phrase: ...and it wasn't the first time ...

Maybe there will be a lot of friction between Eteri and Sasha or maybe Eteri will ignore Sasha because she is not her priority but Kamila.
The positive of this comeback is that Sergei Dudakov will be very happy to work again with his favorite skater, maybe he will be able to stabilize Sasha's 4Loop (Rittberger) and triple Axel. Fingers crossed that this duo manages to put five quads and a trixel in a program for the National Championships and Sasha gets a spot for the Olympics.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I hope at least that Sasha going back to TT means that she agreed to limit her jumping content and go for cleaness.
A 3A in SP and 3 quads in FS are more than enough to have a chance for gold.

Arbitrary

Medalist
ET cannot have only one project. It's not fault tolerant.
She's having at least four projects and the future is in motion, as usual...

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Trusova lost to Tuktamysheva at worlds because she had a big error on a jump in the SP; I'm sure with some digging we could find other skaters that had an error on a jump that set them back. It was Trusova's fault not Plushenko
I think it’s particularly a coaching error, primarily because he let her jump 4Lzs in the warm-up right before the SP. She wasn’t going to jump any quads in SP, there was no point in warming up quads, it just made her overrotate her 3Lz. Just a result of his inexperience.

Last edited:

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
As a KamiFan I wouldn't mind this, but knowing a little how things work Team Tutberidze, it's easy to say that this is rubbish. This is never how it goes over there.

It's always something like this, "x is Eteri's favorite, y is Daniil's favorite". And there's never an actual consensus about who this is, just that it is not the poster's fave lol.