All I can do think about figure skating I am getting new skates next week but can't stop thinking about it! Injury healed! Just wanted to vent | Golden Skate

All I can do think about figure skating I am getting new skates next week but can't stop thinking about it! Injury healed! Just wanted to vent

orianna

Rinkside
Hello, so I had an injury and now its healed I have one more therapy session and I am done. My therapist said I can go back now. I am finally cleared it took almost 3 months but I am back now so I am so happy. Anways I am going to get new skates next week and I can't stop thinking about figure skating and everything. I just want to get back on the ice. I fell in love with this sport and I have just been doing off ice for now but I am getting antsy and really want to go back on the ice. It's just really tough right now. So I feel really down right now because waiting a another week feels so long and I just want the ice so bad. I don't know what to do. Like I have tennis on Friday but other than that I want the ice because its all I can think about.

Also when did you guys start your skating journey. I started when I was 15 and now 16. I watched the olympics and asked my parents to skate. They were a bit hestitant but signed me up learn to skate and in just less than 3 months was in basic 3. Now I do privates and I am starting my beginner jumps and doing the preprimnary skating skills. I love skating and want to conintue until I can't anymore.

Another question how do you feel about the people who ask about skating advice but say they are self teach. I saw a tiktok video where a skater said she self taught herself a salcow and I commented that you should get a coach because she had very bad technigue and she was laughing and saying I am not going get injured and saying she has no bad technique because she watches youtube but you can see she does. I mean I know the sport is expenisve but most of us always say to start in a learn to skate or something equivilant to it if in another country because its cheaper and the comments did say you don't need private lessons. I understand not everyone can get a private but how can we get more access to this sport like people who can't afford privates but want to start competions and all that fun stuff.

I just wanted to vent and just get to know other skaters here.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, so I had an injury and now its healed I have one more therapy session and I am done. My therapist said I can go back now. I am finally cleared it took almost 3 months but I am back now so I am so happy. Anways I am going to get new skates next week and I can't stop thinking about figure skating and everything. I just want to get back on the ice. I fell in love with this sport and I have just been doing off ice for now but I am getting antsy and really want to go back on the ice. It's just really tough right now. So I feel really down right now because waiting a another week feels so long and I just want the ice so bad. I don't know what to do. Like I have tennis on Friday but other than that I want the ice because its all I can think about.

Also when did you guys start your skating journey. I started when I was 15 and now 16. I watched the olympics and asked my parents to skate. They were a bit hestitant but signed me up learn to skate and in just less than 3 months was in basic 3. Now I do privates and I am starting my beginner jumps and doing the preprimnary skating skills. I love skating and want to conintue until I can't anymore.

Another question how do you feel about the people who ask about skating advice but say they are self teach. I saw a tiktok video where a skater said she self taught herself a salcow and I commented that you should get a coach because she had very bad technigue and she was laughing and saying I am not going get injured and saying she has no bad technique because she watches youtube but you can see she does. I mean I know the sport is expenisve but most of us always say to start in a learn to skate or something equivilant to it if in another country because its cheaper and the comments did say you don't need private lessons. I understand not everyone can get a private but how can we get more access to this sport like people who can't afford privates but want to start competions and all that fun stuff.

I just wanted to vent and just get to know other skaters here.
I was a toddler lol.

The only advice I give to those who "self teach" would be please get a proper skating coach and lessons. If they want to continue the way they are I will not give advice and if they have bad technique and injure themselves well that's on them at that point.

Lastly, access to this sport is still difficult. There are some charities/foundations in Harlem and now Detroit that help girls of colour get involved in the sport but otherwise not much.

Also, I am so glad you are healed and released back to ice from your PT!:yahoo:

Last edited:

orianna

Rinkside
I was a toddler lol.

The only advice I give to those who "self teach" would be please get a proper skating coach and lessons. If they want to continue the way they are I will not give advice and if they have bad technique and injure themselves well that's on them at that point.

Lastly, access to this sport is still difficult. There are some charities/foundations in Harlem and now Detroit that help girls of colour get involved in the sport but otherwise not much.

Also, I am so glad you are healed and released back to ice from your PT!:yahoo:
Thank you. I am currently not on the ice because I need to get new skates but have to wait until next week.

There is a point of self teaching when you should get a coach. When I first started I went on a public session and just got use to the ice before my starting learn to skate but that was it. Anything else is where I let the coach teach me.

I onde day to open an ice academy for kids and teens who might not have access to ice because I feel everyone has the right to skate and achieve their dreams. I wish I could do more but I am a teen myself. I just wish there was more access in this wonderful sport because skating such a freeing sport.