Ankle issues with Edea IceFly? | Golden Skate

Ankle issues with Edea IceFly?

YesANDer

Spectator
My daughter (12) has been using Edea Skates IceFly for the past 3 years. This is her 4th year. She had sprained her left ankle twice in past 3 years, and it’s acting up again. I hear that Edea users often experience ankle injuries.
To be fair for Edea, my daughter loves her boots, and they are easy to break in. She has wide feet, and both B and C widths fit her well (245B or 240C to be exact).
That being said, I can’t help thinking that Edea might have contributed to the multiple cases of her ankle injuries.

A little background to fill you in.
She has pronation, and she uses Superfeet in her boots. She also has a pronounced bone structure in her left ankle, and the tongue of her left skate always needs to be cut out around that area, and that’s been working out fine....until earlier this week. She felt pain right around that area - in the medial side of her left ankle along the posterior tibial tendon or the deltoid ligament. She managed to skate for 30min, but couldn’t jump. She came off the ice limping. And now, just to put skates on, she feels pain in that area. I already took the boots for adjustment, they punched out, re-heat molded, and nothing eased the pain.
She is walking, running, and jumping fine in her street shoes.
We went to pediatric orthopedic doctor, as well as Orthobionomy therapist. My daughter has an enlarged navicular bone, and talus? or one of the cuneiform bones ? is sunken a bit, and the mobility of the tibial area is limited. It is recommended that my daughter won't tie laces too tight around the instep of the boots, which is required for Edea. So I'm thinking about going back to traditional boots.

Anyone experienced similar issues with Edea? What was your solution? Did you switch from Edea to another brand? What brand did you switch to, and why?
She has wide feet, and when she tried Risport in the past, they felt tight for her. But we could try again. When she was still in LTS, she wore Riedell. I don’t have experience with Riedell’s higher-level boots, but I hear that Riedell takes time to break in. We've tried Jackson too, and they broke down after just 3 months.
Her fitter is now recommending Aura Sky. Anyone heard of this brand??

I’m in desperate need of help with this. Any experience sharing, recommendation, suggestion, or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My daughter (12) has been using Edea Skates IceFly for the past 3 years. This is her 4th year. She had sprained her left ankle twice in past 3 years, and it’s acting up again. I hear that Edea users often experience ankle injuries.
To be fair for Edea, my daughter loves her boots, and they are easy to break in. She has wide feet, and both B and C widths fit her well (245B or 240C to be exact).
That being said, I can’t help thinking that Edea might have contributed to the multiple cases of her ankle injuries.

She has pronation, and she uses Superfeet in her boots. She also has a pronounced bone structure in her left ankle, and the tongue of her left skate always needs to be cut out around that area, and that’s been working out fine....until earlier this week. She felt pain right around that area - in the medial side of her left ankle along the posterior tibial tendon or the deltoid ligament. She managed to skate for 30min, but couldn’t jump. She came off the ice limping. And now, just to put skates on, she feels pain in that area. I already took the boots for adjustment, they punched out, re-heat molded, and nothing eased the pain.
We went to pediatric orthopedic doctor, as well as Orthobionomy therapist. My daughter has an enlarged navicular bone, and talus? or one of the cuneiform bones ? is sunken a bit, and the mobility of the tibial area is limited. It is recommended that my daughter won't tie laces too tight around the instep of the boots, which is required for Edea. So I'm thinking about going back to traditional boots.

Anyone experienced similar issues with Edea? What was your solution? Did you switch from Edea to another brand? What brand did you switch to, and why?
She has wide feet, and when she tried Risport in the past, they felt tight for her. But we could try again. When she was still in LTS, she wore Riedell. I don’t have experience with Riedell’s higher-level boots, but I hear that Riedell takes time to break in. We've tried Jackson too, and they broke down after just 3 months.

I’m in desperate need of help with this. Any experience sharing, recommendation, suggestion, or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi and welcome! What level is your daughter? What jumps is she doing?

Honestly, after hearing your story, would have never had her in Edea to begin with when it comes to her feet/ankle issues and width.

YesANDer

Spectator
Hi and welcome! What level is your daughter? What jumps is she doing?

Honestly, after hearing your story, would have never had her in Edea to begin with when it comes to her feet/ankle issues and width.
Thank you for the warm welcome! She is Excel Intermediate Plus. Working on double axel.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for the warm welcome! She is Excel Intermediate Plus. Working on double axel.
IDK that aura is going to be the answer if edea is no longer working especially with lacing and the loose ankle not supporting her feet they way they need.

You may have to seriously at this point look into fully custom boots with her. You may also want to look at a stock boot: Graf Edmonton Special.

YesANDer

Spectator
IDK that aura is going to be the answer if edea is no longer working especially with lacing and the loose ankle not supporting her feet they way they need.

You may have to seriously at this point look into fully custom boots with her. You may also want to look at a stock boot: Graf Edmonton Special.
Any thoughts on Risport or Riedell ?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Any thoughts on Risport or Riedell ?
If she has wide feet then no to riedell. Risport could work depending on the boot and width. She might need to wear an elastic brace while wearing her boots. I had this same issue when competing, and with the pronation, has the doctors suggested orthotics?

fiorae

Hi my daughter has the exact same issue with your daughter. Pronation, excessive navicular bone, pain in the tendon. We tried different shoes, custom skate insole from Japan, saw several skate techs, doc, MRI, PT and nothing works for her. I finally took her to a skate tech in CO highly recommended by one of her coaches and he somehow managed to fix her boots so she no longer feel pressure and pain in her navicular bone and tendon. He punched and smoothed out that area causing her pain and she went from pain to no pain all of a sudden. It’s like magic. Took him a few days to figure it out too. From my experienced, it is not the skates. It is the fit. Took us 8 months and flying across the country to figure this out. She wear Edea chorus. Unfortunately it is not stiff enough for her now so we are moving up to ice fly. I am praying it will go smoothly for her this time.

I would recommend really looking closely at the area they punched out the skates and see if they can smooth out the punch area. Perhaps It is not just one spot they should punch to create a bigger pocket for her bone. Sounds like the ankle injury may be related to not trying her skates tight enough to avoid pain. Good luck to you!!

IcyMay23

Rinkside

Thank you.
Hi There,
It's funny that you mention similar issues to what I'm experiencing with the Edea Ice Flys. I've been wearing the brand since 2015. Back then, the boots fit like a glove and truly made me a better skater. In 2024, I'm experiencing a lot of fitting issues and pain I'd never experienced in my first pair. In defense of the brand, and perhaps this could be the issue with your daughter's experience as well - our feet change over time. It could be that Edea is not the right boot brand for either one of us. I'd hate to leave them because I love the Ice Fly but I feel like there has a been a significant change in the Ice Flys material and design since I bought my first pair almost 10 years ago. They just don't perform the same in 2024. Again - that could just be my own personal experience as I am older, put on some weight, and my foot shape has widened some. I've had my boot heels taken in because I was experiencing slipping, then also had the toe box widened to alleviate some pain and guess what? They hurt even more now! Something's not right. I wish I had better advice, but let me know if you feel the Ice Fly has evolved over the years because for me, they just don't feel the same. Best wishes for your daughter's skating journey!