Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 45 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I’m impressed with her for coming back to competition after being severely punished. She loves figure skating and obviosly also love to compete. So excited too see her programmes next season. All luck to Carolina!

RABID

Final Flight
I’m impressed with her for coming back to competition after being severely punished. She loves figure skating and obviosly also love to compete. So excited too see her programmes next season. All luck to Carolina!

I can see how this is the wise thing for her to do however I'm a bit disappointed she didn't try to accrue the necessary points and then participate in this year's Worlds. That window showcasing her and Mao at their best is closing and I fear one or the both of them might end up being not much more than an afterthought by the end of next season. Right now, they still have the kind of reputation that gives the field added weight and glamour.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^
I also would have liked her back this worlds. But perhaps she didn't think she was competible enough for her own standards. Hopefully she and Mao kan both keep their good reputations next season and compete well until 2018 olympics :)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The only program with Carolina's TES is the fact that she can do a 7 triple FS, but usually does it in a way that she misses out on adding a 2nd 2A. Without she, she loses out on quite a few points relative to the other ladies in the field that can do 7 triples + 2 2A.
I don't understand that argument. With the jumps/combos she did in 2013/14 a 2nd 2A instead of a solo triple would have actually lowered her base value.
But she needs to change her jumps/combos anyway, because she can't do 3 2T's now, only 2 are allowed. Her salchow is good, so we might see a half loops salchow combo from her, I would like to see that. And if she does that we actually might see a 2nd 2A in her FS, I'm pretty sure that Carolina is capable of doing a 2nd 2A, even if you doubt it.

jkun

Final Flight
I don't understand that argument. With the jumps/combos she did in 2013/14 a 2nd 2A instead of a solo triple would have actually lowered her base value.
But she needs to change her jumps/combos anyway, because she can't do 3 2T's now, only 2 are allowed. Her salchow is good, so we might see a half loops salchow combo from her, I would like to see that. And if she does that we actually might see a 2nd 2A in her FS, I'm pretty sure that Carolina is capable of doing a 2nd 2A, even if you doubt it.

I don't doubt anything. I made an objective observation that Carolina goes for a 7 triple 1 2A program while the other ladies are going for a 7 triple 2 2A program. In 2013/2014, Carolina either went for a 3F-3T or a 2A-3T. Exclusively one or the other, not both. For example, Carolina completed the following at Sochi:

3Lz
2A-3T
3F
--
3Lo
3T-2T
3S
3S-2T-2T

She completed a successful 3F-3T in the short program.
What she should have done:

3Lz
2A-3T
3F-3T
--
3Lo
2A
3F
3S-2T-2T

At Sochi she made the mistake of not including a 2nd 2A and also repeating the two lowest value triples. She lost ~4 points of base value because of it.
She clearly has what it takes to do these elements, but the fact that she doesn't means that she's going to be missing out on a lot of TES compared to say someone like Evgenia who does two 3-3 combos (repeats 3F and 3T) and 2 2As.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I don't doubt anything. I made an objective observation that Carolina goes for a 7 triple 1 2A program while the other ladies are going for a 7 triple 2 2A program. In 2013/2014, Carolina either went for a 3F-3T or a 2A-3T. Exclusively one or the other, not both. For example, Carolina completed the following at Sochi:

3Lz
2A-3T
3F
--
3Lo
3T-2T
3S
3S-2T-2T

3Lz
2A-3T
3F-3T
--
3Lo
2A
3F
3S-2T-2T

At Sochi she made the mistake of not including a 2nd 2A and also repeating the two lowest value triples. She lost ~4 points of base value because of it.
She clearly has what it takes to do these elements, but the fact that she doesn't means that she's going to be missing out on a lot of TES compared to say someone like Evgenia who does two 3-3 combos (repeats 3F and 3T) and 2 2As.
I was only mentioning that you can't know for which jump layout Carolina will go next season, because she cannot do the layout she did in Sochi. A half loop salchow combo could be what she needs. I don't necessarily expect Carolina to do a 3-3 in the FS next season. I honestly doubt that she will go for that. 2A-3T and 2A-1L-3S could be good enough.
And she did the jump content she felt good with, that she knew she was capable of doing in Sochi. I wouldn't call that a mistake. Carolina isn't a tiny lightweight little thing, so she has to pace herself. You can't expect her to do the combos consistently that Evgenia is capable of doing. Going clean in Sochi was the important thing for her (for all of the ladies) and Carolina did that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

3Lz
2A-3T
3F
--
3Lo
3T-2T
3S
3S-2T-2T

3Lz
2A-3T
3F-3T
--
3Lo
2A
3F
3S-2T-2T

Carolina looked very tired doing the jumps towards the end of the Sochi long program. I think she presented as much as she could have cleanly.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Carolina looked very tired doing the jumps towards the end of the Sochi long program. I think she presented as much as she could have cleanly.

Exactly.

She went for the more difficult 3F+3T combo in the long at Worlds the next month and we all know what happened there. (And the year before at Worlds too where she popped her 3Lo and wiped out on her 3S at the end of the program).

I personally don't care if she's a medal contender; I'd rather see her skate than most of the women today.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
By the way, ex boyfriend Schwazer just won an event a couple of days ago, after his 3 years and 9 months ban and has already qualified for the Olympics in Rio!
german article
And he was fast ... :scard7:
He claims to be clean now, has an renowed anti doping coach working with him. So it really seems as if he won his Olympic gold in 2008 clean. interview in german
And with all the good Russian race walkers banned now he has a good chance of winning Gold again in Rio.
I think I would like the guy if he hadn't involved Carolina in this mess.

Last edited: