Best actors on ice | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best actors on ice

noskates

Record Breaker
I think some of these comments are curious - isn't interpretation the same as acting? I don't think you have to stand in the middle of the rink and deliver a soliloquy to be considered acting. I think a skater who is able to interpret the music and be meaningful to the audience could be considered acting. Some of you are getting hung up on semantics.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think some of these comments are curious - isn't interpretation the same as acting? I don't think you have to stand in the middle of the rink and deliver a soliloquy to be considered acting. I think a skater who is able to interpret the music and be meaningful to the audience could be considered acting. Some of you are getting hung up on semantics.

Yes, when I was listing skaters I didn't just think about portraying a character, but also interpreting music

Warwick360

Medalist
Not seeing this name that much. Katarina Witt.

Not that I watched many programs of her, but going off on how her FP turned into a full fledged Carmen on Ice, with her and Bryans winning an Emmy, I'd have to say the Queen takes the crown.

As for emoting/acting, I think it depends on the theme. For example, someone like Evgenia seems great at emoting in the dramatics, someone like Tuktamysheva when going all sassy seems to do that way better.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I do not understand why coaches think skaters have to act. They are NOT actors. They are skaters. THink of Kwan who rarely acted on ice. She just skated to whatever the music inspired. No fake characters (well she did have a few programs but most were not character driven). Jason Brown also often just skates to the music. To me all the very best memorable skates are almost always pure and simple and skated to the music and not trying to tell a specific story but rather, trying to elicit an atmosphere. Of course a skater has an inner vision and scenario but this is very different from attempting to portray a character from a play etc. I find this incredibly irritating actually - I mean all the dying Carmens???EEK
It depends on the program. In her FS "O", Akiko used the music from Cirque du Soleil, but the program had an original story of a little blue bird surviving in nature. She had to be able to tell the story to the audience who had absolutely no idea what to expect. This particular performance at NHK Trophy was my third time to see the program after Japan Open and Skate Canada, and it was when I finally understood what she and Pasquale Camerlengo were trying to tell.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That's like saying rockers and counters shouldn't be in the Olympics 🧐 Technique is really important to ice dance too, not just interpretation (a.k.a. 'acting').

There may be a few ice dancers who try to cover up poor technique with theatrics, but on average they have better skating skills than singles skaters. Unlike the dancers, singles skaters can get away with unclear edges and scratchy turns as long as they have a couple of quads and a dramatic facial expression.

I can understand if your objection to ice dance in the Olympics is based on judging issues - the fact that they've dropped real technical stuff like patterns in favour of wantonly scored choreographic elements, the existence of a pecking order etc... It obviously needs improving. But just because something is subjective/unfairly judged doesn't mean it's not a sport, otherwise we might as well ditch the other skating disciplines too (do you believe Cohen/Zagitova/Candeloro/Yagudin never experienced score inflation?), plus gymnastics and synchronised swimming while we're at it.
You wordy reply does not negate the fact ice that dancing has very little to do with actual sport. It can be lovely to watch but it is too subjective. More importantly it has been this way since the beginning, and it is only getting worse.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You wordy reply does not negate the fact ice that dancing has very little to do with actual sport. It can be lovely to watch but it is too subjective. More importantly it has been this way since the beginning, and it is only getting worse.
It has much to do with "actual sport." It's quite obvious that you've never attempted to ice dance in your life b/c it's the hardest of the 4 disciplines (I know, I've done it and singles at an elite level and now pro).

It's fine if you don't like ice dance or how it's judged (although the whole sport has become subjective, so that's null), then don't watch it or talk about it. That's way better than coming here to crap on it every chance one has, and also doesn't have a thing to do with this thread.

Let's move along now.

cabres

On the Ice
- Daisuke Takahashi, Alexei Yagudin, Victor Petrenko, Javier Fernandez, Stephan Lambiel, Elladj Balde, Kurt Browning, Bowman the Showman
- Akiko Suzuki, Alena Leonova, Oksana Baiul, Evgenia Medvedeva
- Yuko Kawaguti / Alexander Smirnov (super Manfred- Tcheaikovski, super Claire de Lune), Arthur Dmitriev.
- Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir, Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean, Pipper Gilles / Paul Poirier

Last edited: