Best commentators/commentaries? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best commentators/commentaries?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
In contrast I can't stand the Taiwanese commentary, here an example at 4cc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHemgeKMOv8

The Taiwanese commentary is generally a big fail. I am Taiwanese myself, but I avoid the Taiwanese broadcast unless there's absolutely no other option. This year's 4CCs was particularly lame. The lady is supposedly a skating coach but her commentary was amateurish with zero insight at best, and laden with factual errors at worst.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
were we listening to the same lady? I was talking about her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqFBtfnMeA

and I thought it was great how she kept silent during the skate (though she does talk a little too much sometimes) and afterwards explained why the base value of quads have been raised and how UR etc. is going to decrease the score. Also she talks about Patricks SS being 'fluid like water' and recommends that spectators watch figure skating competitions live to get a feel for the speed and SS of the skaters.
I admit I haven't watched many of her commentaries, but those few I watched, I liked. I agree though that her commentary is more suitable for attracting casual viewers, than long-term technically proficient skating fans..

In contrast I can't stand the Taiwanese commentary, here an example at 4cc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHemgeKMOv8

I find those 'waaah, blabla' extremly annoying, also they were exclaiming how perfect and beautiful that triple was, even though Kanako's hammer toe was pretty apparent . Also she keeps talking during the skate, ugh but fails to mention the important things, like Kanako's UR issues and whether they improved this time etc.

If we were indeed talking about the same commentators, then I just guess different things works for different people .. For example, when I first started to watch figure skating, Uncle Dick was by far my favourite commentator. I learned a lot about spin and spiral positions, as well as jumps from him.
But after I started skating myself, I started to like the BESP guys a lot more!

yes, we are referring the same commentators. I have never watched this particular CCTV video of Patrick. I think her commentary in this video is decent.
Like I said, she does do lots of homework about skaters' background and stuff and had quite long working experience in this field. But she is at most a figure skating fan (most likely she garner her knowledge about skating from internet, such as forums/boards, not even comprehensive, to watch Patrick live to appreciate his SS is very well known among Chinese skating fans). Her comments is usually politically correct (cos she did her homework). But I did not expect to learn insider stuff about skating technique or others like I usually would from CBC, and I also did not expect to hear independent opinions like I would from eurosports.
Taiwan commentary is not that good as well, but after I watched a couple of their videos, I have a feeling that they (actually, one of them) actually had experience with figure skating (that is the reason I put theirs ahead of CCTV). their commentary itself is not good. BTW, I figure skate myself too, my fav commentary is CBC.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
yes, we are referring the same commentators. I have never watched this particular CCTV video of Patrick. I think her commentary in this video is decent.
Like I said, she does do lots of homework about skaters' background and stuff and had quite long working experience in this field. But she is at most a figure skating fan (most likely she garner her knowledge about skating from internet, such as forums/boards, not even comprehensive, to watch Patrick live to appreciate his SS is very well known among Chinese skating fans). Her comments is usually politically correct (cos she did her homework). But I did not expect to learn insider stuff about skating technique or others like I usually would from CBC, and I also did not expect to hear independent opinions like I would from eurosports.
Taiwan commentary is not that good as well, but after I watched a couple of their videos, I have a feeling that they (actually, one of them) actually had experience with figure skating (that is the reason I put theirs ahead of CCTV). their commentary itself is not good. BTW, I figure skate myself too, my fav commentary is CBC.

I have now watched some more commentaries of her and I couldn't find the one I found so incredibly competent and good. I vastly remember that in that video there were two women commenting, so maybe the one giving all the extremly knowledgeable technical explanations, like take-off timing, position of the shoulder or back etc etc. was a guest commentator ... :scratch2: :no: That would be extremly dissapointing ... I regret never having activley searched for chinese commentary, or else I might have noticed earlier ...
Still I like the cctv main longtime commentator (the women) way more than the taiwanese ones.

I guess I just like that she doesn't talk during the skate and does her homework/ gets her facts straight and up to date e.g. season's best scores, important past achievements, injuries, what's special about this or that skater. I'll have to revise my original commentary ranking though, since I thought the technical experitise I heard some time ago was also from her, though it's unclear if this is the case. :palmf:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
to be honest, I didnot watch CCTV nor Taiwanese TV that much.
But currently PENG/TONG has been invited to comment for CCTV. Their commentary is good, and worth listening to. Some Chinese fans started to collect CCTV commentary due to P/T's recent involvement. There is a Yan Han Fan youtube channel has uploaded some recent CCTV videos.
Taiwanese commentary did not mention Kanako's hammer toe is one thing (which is very well known). But sometime, they mention something, I think is on point. e.g. in 2016 wc french ice dance P/C's commentary, they mentioned that P/C looks like put effort into stretch etc. which I think is one thing P/C excel, they have a great range of motion. Small things like this makes me think that Taiwanese commentary is kinda cute, they of course makes mistakes too.

Manitou

Medalist
I won't be original.
Like: Tanith in ice dance, Tara/Johny in everything else.
Dislike: Hamilton. Sorry, didn't want to be negative, but the question was asked. Nothing against Scott, but I find his voice annoying. Maybe just me. I also can't stand Navratilova as another example. Yeah, probably just me...

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will always love Dick Button, even though he got a bit repetitive saying that the axel was the most dangerous jump. I kind of laugh when I always hear Tara say that the double axel is an easier jump - well, which is it?

I think Tanith is very knowledgeable for ice dance, but good lord she was babbling so much during the Shibs FD at Nationals that I couldn't enjoy it. Save it for the replays! I don't subscribe to IN, but the videos I've seen - I liked Ben Agosto, too. Perhaps Tanith could learn some restraint from her former skating partner.

When I look for English speaking videos online, I tend to seek out British Eurosport or CBC before anything that NBC produces - T/J are okay but usually talk too much or Johnny gets a little bitter (remember his "trying to go viral" comment?) I usually don't bother with the Russian or Asian ones since I have no idea what they are saying. TAT's voice drives me crazy anyway. I like the Spanish ones b/c I understand some of it (the lady always says Si, Senora! when a lady does well, lol).

And on a non-professional level, I like Patrick Commentates Skating's videos on YT. I usually agree with him since he likes skaters who are more musically inclined and good performers. His drunk commentary is also funny. I found his take on what was wrong with Gracie's "Firebird" to be particulary insightful about how Lori Nichol's choreo and Gracie don't always fit.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will always love Dick Button, even though he got a bit repetitive saying that the axel was the most dangerous jump. I kind of laugh when I always hear Tara say that the double axel is an easier jump - well, which is it?

I think Tanith is very knowledgeable for ice dance, but good lord she was babbling so much during the Shibs FD at Nationals that I couldn't enjoy it. Save it for the replays! I don't subscribe to IN, but the videos I've seen - I liked Ben Agosto, too. Perhaps Tanith could learn some restraint from her former skating partner.

When I look for English speaking videos online, I tend to seek out British Eurosport or CBC before anything that NBC produces - T/J are okay but usually talk too much or Johnny gets a little bitter (remember his "trying to go viral" comment?) I usually don't bother with the Russian or Asian ones since I have no idea what they are saying. TAT's voice drives me crazy anyway. I like the Spanish ones b/c I understand some of it (the lady always says Si, Senora! when a lady does well, lol).

And on a non-professional level, I like Patrick Commentates Skating's videos on YT. I usually agree with him since he likes skaters who are more musically inclined and good performers. His drunk commentary is also funny. I found his take on what was wrong with Gracie's "Firebird" to be particulary insightful about how Lori Nichol's choreo and Gracie don't always fit.

Tanith talked so much about the Shibs' music that it was impossible to hear the music!!!! For US Nationals, she was STILL talking when they were about to give the scores telling that the Shibs had won gold. PLEASE!!!!!! Almost as aggravating as TAT, and that's really saying something.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tanith talked so much about the Shibs' music that it was impossible to hear the music!!!! For US Nationals, she was STILL talking when they were about to give the scores telling that the Shibs had won gold. PLEASE!!!!!! Almost as aggravating as TAT, and that's really saying something.

I doubt it would ever happen but, if you could get Tonia Kwiatkowski and Canada's David Pelletier into the same booth, I'd be thrilled!!

By the way, who is the other David Pelletier? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrckBqMc8c

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
People have issues with Scott Hamilton and I agree he wasn't the world's best commentator, but at least he got excited when there was reason to be. I was re-watching Jason's Riverdance and to hear him get excited as we were getting excited was great. His enthusiastic "get on your feet!" at the end of Max's 2013 Nationals freeskate was also fun. He shows his emotion - he shows that he's getting into the program, just like we are.

There's a great video someone made, which I can't find right at this second but will look for this afternoon, showing the end of Jason's FS at 2015 Worlds with various commentaries. To a fault, every other commentary team was excited and positive - I don't have to be a language genius to know what "bravo!" means - and then right at the end, it cut to the NBC commentary, just as Weir snarked about how Jason would be disappointed in that skate. It was almost as though Weir had watched a totally different skate. It was completely disconnected to what had actually happened.

EDIT:

Found it. The order is Italian RAI, Spanish TDP, British Eurosport, Canadian CBC, then NBC. The actual comment from Weir was: "You can see it on his face, he knows it wasn't his best. [Jason is beaming at this point] Technically there were issues..." And it's just...what in the heck were you watching, Weir, because it's certainly not Jason.

begin

Medalist
No love for the BBC? Robin Cousins' commentary is probably my favorite--a good balance of observation and opinion. I appreciate that he usually saves his insight until after the program ends and isn't too obtrusive.

alebi

Medalist
For Italian figure skating..... well Eurosport guys all the way!! There are very very few RAI sport commentators I can stand, usually Eurosport or Sky/Fox ones are way more professional and competent (even if not everyone is). Usually, even if you're an ex athlete, once you go commenting on RAI you spend more time talking about gossip, chatter, the surrounding, how funny/serious/unpleasant some one you know is, the feelings they're experiencing and at the end they give you the result. Even if you were watching an incredible performance.

temadd

Final Flight

Part of the problem is that NBC turns the sound down on the music while the commentators are talking (CBC AND BESP do not). These programs are about the skating and the music, not the talking! And most of the commentators talk too much.

I enjoy Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning. Dick Button and Scott Hamilton not only spoke too much but showed way too much emotion. It's very distracting. I prefer that the commentator be more neutral . Tara and Johnny are too chatty and Johnny can get insulting to the skaters. Comment but don't be hurtful.

Have not heard John Coughlin during a skate but really enjoy him on ice network

Please never bring back Peter Carruthers, the most inarticulate commentator ever.

Manitou

Medalist
...Scott Hamilton not only spoke too much but showed way too much emotion. It's very distracting.

Exactly. To me he is like a hyperactive overexcited child. Very annoying.

...Johnny can get insulting to the skaters. Comment but don't be hurtful.

I never found him insulting. I don't know what you are talking about. Yes, he is direct and honest, and this is why I love his commentating. He is absolutely fantastic. Him and Tara create great magic and they both add an entire level of attraction to the show.

temadd

Final Flight
I never found him insulting. I don't know what you are talking about. Yes, he is direct and honest, and this is why I love his commentating. He is absolutely fantastic. Him and Tara create great magic and they both add an entire level of attraction to the show.

There have been several, but one incident that stands out is at 2015 Nationals when Johnny said Polina's music was "atrocious." I think that's hurtful. These skaters are people not robots. They put their heart and soul into this and for him to say something so negative is unkind.

I have no problem with commentators voicing less than positive opinions but a bit more diplomacy would be appropriate.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
There have been several, but one incident that stands out is at 2015 Nationals when Johnny said Polina's music was "atrocious." I think that's hurtful. These skaters are people not robots. They put their heart and soul into this and for him to say something so negative is unkind.

If it was atrocious then it should be called "atrocious". Elena Radionova's music and choreography this season were atrocious and I think Elena should know it first.
Of course they put hearts and souls, everybody does, there is nothing special about it, but it's the highest level of competition. If you want to hear only "nice job" and "good hustle" then stay on the rec level. I want to hear the truth, not some fake sugar.

temadd

Final Flight
If it was atrocious then it should be called "atrocious". Elena Radionova's music and choreography this season were atrocious and I think Elena should know it first.
Of course they put hearts and souls, everybody does, there is nothing special about it, but it's the highest level of competition. If you want to hear only "nice job" and "good hustle" then stay on the rec level. I want to hear the truth, not some fake sugar.

Like I said less than positive comments are fine, just be constructive. Saying "atrocious" does nothing but insult. Saying how it could be better is more informative to watchers (especially casual watchers of the sport) and tells us why you don't like it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like I said less than positive comments are fine, just be constructive. Saying "atrocious" does nothing but insult. Saying how it could be better is more informative to watchers (especially casual watchers of the sport) and tells us why you don't like it.

Not to mention that oft times Johnny is NOT speaking truth to power, but is sometimes just plain wrong. I actually liked Johnny when he was doing Ice Network? commentary, but the NBC gig has made me think that he lives for the *snap* moments.

And like the comments about Jason's performance that Karne posted earlier, sometimes those *snap* moments make Johnny look very, very silly.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I remember one comment by Johnny about ice dance that was just plain strange. He was talking about some ice dancers who were now training in Montreal with Marie France/Patrice (probably Hubbell and Donahue). He read the straightforward information, which he was probably handed to him by a researcher, then started to muse along the lines of "why would they do that? Everybody knows the best ice dance coaches are in Michigan."

It's OK that he is a bit behind the times, but if he was curious, he should have asked the researcher for more info, rather than spouting his ignorance on national TV. He could have done a little blurb on how quickly coaches can go from "not" to "hot" and back again, and alluded to Papadakis/Cizeron coming from nowhere to win worlds. Oh well.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Dick button all the way. I appreciated his emphais on the details of skating even if he had the most random obsessions of things like Sasha Cohen's "perfect" back

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And don't forget his weird-as flip-flop at US Nationals this year. At the end of Max's free skate, he said that he thought Max should win. Then when Max's score came up, putting in him first, Weir complained about the terrible judging. Then when Adam's score came up, Weir went back on the "Max should have won" bandwagon. It was like he couldn't decide which of Max or Adam he disliked more for a moment. "Do I go with the guy who came out and stole my limelight as an out skater in the US, or do I go with the guy who lands more quads in one program than I did in my whole career?"

The other thing I really hate is when commentators denigrate a skater during another skater's performance. Weir and Lipinski did it to Max during Joshua's SP at Nationals last year then completed the trifecta by doing it to Jason during Joshua's free skate - during that entrancing, perfect step sequence, no less!