Best dressed singles ladies' skater | Golden Skate

Best dressed singles ladies' skater

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It seems there was much consensus in the iconic dress thread. Obviously those with long carriers have a better shot. I think we should award the podium and a pewter medal to those nominees who get mentioned the most should the thread have a decent numerical response.

These are my nominees for best dressed ladies and they don't include the olden days because skating dresses were simple and athletic looking. But you might count the pro years. Examples would be Kristi or Peggy or Dorothy as pro skaters with many costumes over the years. I'm thinking primarily of the dresses from the eligible careers.

These are my nominees in no particular orderother than maybe chronological
The eighties? Um gee. I liked Debi Thomas'q gear way better than Kat and Roz was very plain.

So Debbie.
Jill Trenary - stunning
Nancy Kerrigan was stunning and classy. I can't think of one hideous dress.
Michelle Kwan - the character dresses were great and the rest were pretty timeless. Vera did so much for Nancy and Kwan
Nicole Bobek. I loved her dresses. She was stunning pure and simple.
Tonya Kwiatkowski had Carol Heiss Jenkins making her look very, a very sophisticated.
Jenny Kirk- under appreciated in every way
Sasha Cohen- interesting and often unique
Mao Asada- seldom made a bad choice
Akiko Suzuki- glitzy but I loved her costumes
Kira Korpi- absolutely stunning modern and always different- no one in Europe was in her league imho
I wish I could nominate a Russian girl- maybe Maria B but there were some I wasn't crazy for. Still she really thought about her dresses as a mature skater.
Gracie Gold. No one does elegant Princess like Gracie.
Joannie Rochette as a pro has captured my eye.
Peggy Fleming in her Bob Mackie Years.
Roz Sumners SOI years
Katia as a single pro always stunning

Who else?

Do you have your podium already? I have my Gold for sure!

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
For me a lot of dresses from the 90s don't pass the test of time. (Nancy's are the exception in that regard, very classic.)

Best dressed lady ever award goes to Kiira Korpi. I just google imaged "Kiira Korpi dresses" and every one is a stunner. She uses a lot of unique colors very well.

Also Sasha Cohen. I can't remember a dress I didn't like, plus her dresses often worked thematically with her programs (they were never generic), PLUS she often got a new LP dress at the end of the season so she has a wider range of dresses and each one is still gorgeous.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Yuna Kim. Hands down. Everything she wore was beautiful and program appropriate, including the Ex ones. Even her junior days costumes. Her dresses beginning in 2009 was all to die for.
My personal favorites are Danse, Bond, Gerhswin, and Kiss of the Vampire. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Lu Chen? I always thought she looked good but that might had to do with her skating being so beautiful

Meryl Davis also wasn't mentioned, I love basically every one of her dresses

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'd say josee chouinard was always well dressed, even if sometimes dressed simpler....

Cynthia Phaneuf is another example of always well dressed.

But i agree with people mentioning Tessa and Lu Chen...

Career awards goes to.... ?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai Nagasu has had some gorgeous costumes. Plus she looks good in just about every color! I thought both of her Worlds' costumes this year were wonderful.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Essentially, the requirement for a nomination from me is that you cannot have had any costumes I disliked.

Ladies singles:
Retired: Yuna Kim, Kiira Korpi, Sasha Cohen
Current: Mao Asada, Gracie Gold, Zijun Li
Honorable mention: Akiko Suzuki, who had only one costume I can remember not loving (the leather one-while very appropriate for the program, not my favorite).

Dance ladies: I'm going to go with the people who are nominating Tessa, but Anna Cappellini, Meryl Davis, Gabriella Papadakis and Maia Shibutani are all very close runners-up who I can't remember ever having a bad costume.

Honorable Mention: Elena Ilinykh is arguably the most fashionable ice dancer when she has good costumes, of which she has had many, but she's worn some...*interesting* costumes over the years (exhibit A: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...p_01d_886_Elena_ILINYKH_Nikita_KATSALAPOV.JPG) that I cannot ignore.

Pairs ladies: Ksenia Stolbova always looks ridiculously classy. Wenjing Sui has had some really nice dresses; I loved both of Xuehan Wang's costumes this year.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I love almost every costume of Surya Bonaly, Lu Chen, Sasha Cohen, Yuna Kim, Akiko Suzuki, Alisa Czisny, Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold

Among pairs. I like many costumes of Natalia Mishkutenok, Elena Berezhnaya, Radka Kovaríkova, Jenni Meno, Tatiana Volosozhar, Vanessa James, Wenjing Sui in pairs.

I think Tessa Virtue, Meryl Davis, and Anna Cappellini are best female dressers in ice dance.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim, Akiko Suzuki

QuadThrow

Medalist
Aljona Savchenko. She has always looked brilliant in the dresses of her own and she is the Queen of all cat suits.

Ksenia is a stunning woman because of her unique aura but not of her dresses.

I like maia and tessa's dresses, too. The shibutanis always look perfect.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Kiira Korpi came straight into my mind when I saw this thread title. But then again probably she would have made even a potato sack look stunning

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi came straight into my mind when I saw this thread title. But then again probably she would have made even a potato sack look stunning

Although I admire her bold usages of unconventional styles and colors, some of her dresses are really not my type. I dreamed what if she would wear more "princess-like" costumes to keep pace with her classically beautiful appearance. Nevertheless, she has looked always gorgeous on and off ice.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi no contest
As a mad fan I should have nominated Sasha but have to admit though I liked most of her dresses there were some with a question mark like that yellow/dark violet Rach dress,
but Kiira never ever put her foot wrong - she was elegant, innovative, creative with colours & styles - she was unique and I doubt there ever will be anyone equal to her
Gracie has a potential to take the mantle I think