Brown: " I want to be me" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brown: " I want to be me"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I totally don't get all the criticism of Hamilton. I thought it was an awesome program.

It took me a while to really enjoy it. I actually liked the free skate far more. But seeing it in person help me come around to it. And I actually came to like the FS less, partially cause I had to witness him doing so poorly in person (though I :love: that step sequence). I welcomed the return of The Piano and now wished he kept it for this season.

I have a friend who is a big musicals fan who I shared the SP with and she's like, I already saw it cause Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jason has pretty much said the pony will go next year, although I think his decisions about his look have nothing to do with what fans think. He's very independent minded that way. :biggrin: And Lin Manuel Miranda, the creator of Hamilton, is fine with Jason's "elaborate wrist action", so I think I'll go with his opinion on the choreo.;)

Of course Jason's fans have supported him all this time, and I hope we would continue to do so. Isn't that what fans do? :clap: "Indulge" is a interesting word; it makes me think of tolerating some lesser skills or effort on behalf of a skater.:scratch3: I assure you that Jason's fans support the superior artistry and skating and spinning skills he brings to the ice, and that has nothing to do with "indulging" as I hear it. But perhaps it was not meant that way....
Not that it is a huge deal but I am not a fan of the pony or attitude for fashionistas. It really served no purpose and it seemed more work ie all that guck holding it down and because I guess his hair was super long folding it into almost a faux bobbish pony; some people use their hair to add to the performance ie. Daisuke's added a wildman artiistic flair - ditto for Nathan before the chop.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that it is a huge deal but I am not a fan of the pony or attitude for fashionistas. It really served no purpose and it seemed more work ie all that guck holding it down and because I guess his hair was super long folding it into almost a faux bobbish pony; some people use their hair to add to the performance ie. Daisuke's added a wildman artiistic flair - ditto for Nathan before the chop.

Jason is far from a fashionista:laugh: He has actually explained on many occasions why he wears his hair long and why he kept the pony, but I have don't have time to look up the articles now. Fashion is not a part of any of this decision.

Although OT, Nathan's chop saddened me. I love curls. Adam's curls, Charlie's curls, Nathan's curls, David Santee's curls ....just my preference:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jason is far from a fashionista:laugh: He has actually explained on many occasions why he wears his hair long and why he kept the pony, but I have don't have time to look up the articles now. Fashion is not a part of any of this decision.

Although OT, Nathan's chop saddened me. I love curls. Adam's curls, Charlie's curls, Nathan's curls, David Santee's curls ....just my preference:)

What I meant was not that jason was trying to be a fashionista but his hair just sort of hangs there with no purpose almost. Some people style their hair or use it as an extension of themselves and his just is sort of there if that makes sense. But hey if he is happy. - It's like people who have long hair and sometimes super long hair just for the sake of having long hair but there is little purpose, reason - it just sort of is there and often does little to create a more aesthetic look. But as long as the owner is happy :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He's already him. And fans have embraced (indulged) him for all this time.'

Well you may want to avoid the New York Times Magazine piece on Jason then. :biggrin:

The author is SO indulgent, like a piece of chocolate cake. Mmmmmm cake. You can't get much more indulgent then creating alternate realities so Jason can skate in the Olympics. :laugh:

Seriously, though, the writing is impressive, even if you don't care for Jason or his skating. I don't think anyone could write something better to explain why people are drawn to him.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What I meant was not that jason was trying to be a fashionista but his hair just sort of hangs there with no purpose almost. Some people style their hair or use it as an extension of themselves and his just is sort of there if that makes sense. But hey if he is happy. - It's like people who have long hair and sometimes super long hair just for the sake of having long hair but there is little purpose, reason - it just sort of is there and often does little to create a more aesthetic look. But as long as the owner is happy :)

Actually Jason rarely wears his hair in a pony tail anymore unless his program requires it (ie, Hamilton) - it’s usually in a man bun these days. The person upthread who brought his hair up is clearly not a fan and was just looking for something to criticize.

If we’re going to talk Jason, I think his 4CC medal, his tough 2017 season, his failure to make the Oly Team, his programs for next year, and the NY Times feature article that was just published today, would be a whole lot more interesting.

soogar

Record Breaker

I think he has the kind of hair that is really coarse and hard to manage either short or long. At least long he can pull it back. He may get all sorts of weird cowlicks if he cut it short.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually Jason rarely wears his hair in a pony tail anymore unless his program requires it (ie, Hamilton) - it’s usually in a man bun these days. The person upthread who brought his hair up is clearly not a fan and was just looking for something to criticize.

If we’re going to talk Jason, I think his 4CC medal, his tough 2017 season, his failure to make the Oly Team, his programs for next year, and the NY Times feature article that was just published today, would be a whole lot more interesting.

A man bun isn't much better. It really doesn't matter as long as he is happy but I don't see his hair adding to his programs - which is fine as most don't for guys.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
A man bun isn't much better. It really doesn't matter as long as he is happy but I don't see his hair adding to his programs - which is fine as most don't for guys.

Okay, I give up! I happen to like the man bun, though.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think the only way a man can wear his hair and have it be wrong is if it's distracting....which is what the judges told Jason as a child. He was told to either cut it or tie it back because it was flying all over the place. He has extremely curly hair.

And frankly I can't see why anybody would care how he wears his hair - it's what's on his feet that counts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well you may want to avoid the New York Times Magazine piece on Jason then. :biggrin:

The author is SO indulgent, like a piece of chocolate cake. Mmmmmm cake. You can't get much more indulgent then creating alternate realities so Jason can skate in the Olympics. :laugh:

Seriously, though, the writing is impressive, even if you don't care for Jason or his skating. I don't think anyone could write something better to explain why people are drawn to him.

Quoting myself, lame I know. But I read this article to my husband, who didn't find it indulgent at all. In fact, when I mentioned when Phil Hersh said it was "overwritten, gush fest," he's said he didn't think it was.

Rather, Mr. P feels the author, Patricia Lockwood, is feels that Jason embodies a certain type of skating that perhaps is under appreciated in an scoring system that, by its structure, rewards doing multiple quads. She's expressing sadness about a sport that has lept forward and leaving behind an aspect of skating -- as expressed by a skater like Jason -- that may be left behind in the process.

I asked Mr. P, "Well what about the ilkes of Yuzu, Javi, Patrick? Don't they show it's possible to combine the technical and the artistry?"

He said, yes that is the case, but he feels they're becoming exceptions not the norm. He said the way the system works, you're money ahead to put in as many quads as possible, rather than create a moment/experience, like she feels someone like Jason does quite well.

Also regarding the Darth Vader reference, which seems to be a point of contention for some -- Mr. P said that Darth Vader is a "commander-in-chief" and Nathan, thanks to his quads, is the commander-in-chief of U.S. (and World) men's figure skating.

Also it's worth noting that the night before I had read a NYT Mag profile of the author. He said that helped him understand her article a lot better. Namely, the use and meanings of all the metaphors, i.e. the Darth Vader reference. A lot of the criticisms, he said, may stem from the disconnect between the reader's understanding of the writer and work, and the piece itself.

Anyway, one guy's view. YMMV.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would love the article if only for this quote about the kind of performances that are, for me, the best moments in skating ( like Jason's Riverdance)
The dream body moves through a universe where someone who skates with tenderness and vulnerability can stand on the podium next to a peerless technician who represents the new future of skating. This is not strict realism, no. But that is what’s so touching about it: Here is someone determined to impose his imagination on a crueler and more hostile reality. Here is a snow globe with its own sky, and if you want to join us inside, you’re welcome.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
....Also it's worth noting that the night before I had read a NYT Mag profile of the author. He said that helped him understand her article a lot better. Namely, the use and meanings of all the metaphors, i.e. the Darth Vader reference. A lot of the criticisms, he said, may stem from the disconnect between the reader's understanding of the writer and work, and the piece itself.

Anyway, one guy's view. YMMV.

For me, a big part of the YMMV is that I think it would be unrealistic in general for any NYTM author to believe that most readers of her/his article would be inspired to look up a previous NYTM profile about the author.

No matter what the topic of a NYTM article, it should not be necessary to read a profile of the author to avoid a disconnect between the author's own article and the reader's understanding of the author's article.

I care about Jason, so I care that he is a focus of a notable mainstream outlet like the NYTM.
Good for Jason :), and good for the sport.
But I expect a NYTM article to stand on its own.
I myself am not going to delve into reading a profile about the author of the article.

Similarly:
I care about Nathan, and I care that he is the focus of an NBC promo that will air with the Super Bowl broadcast.
Good for Nathan :), and good for the sport.
But I myself have not felt any urge (before or after seeing the promo, which I found quite striking) to look up a profile about the creative director of the promo. YMMV.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Rohene Ward, Jason's choreographer, has to be a PR genius who clearly understood Boston's love affair with Riverdance. I lived, worked with, breathed Riverdance back in the day... it is hard to describe it's effect on Boston proper, so, when Jason took the ice that fateful hour I was a bit afraid--a packed arena of Bostonites, devoted Riverdance fans, expecting to see Jason do it justice and he did not disappoint!!
As he took the ice with his ponytail and sparkly costume, he looked like a maverick -- a renegade -- who slanted the accepted proto-type of "male figure skater", a tad to the left... it was different, fun, exciting. At that moment when he slid center ice I was reminded of a phrase from my favorite Leguin essay: "[If you want a striking example of LeGuin's Law..].. just give a lift to one of those people along the roads who own nothing but a backpack, a guitar, A FINE HEAD OF HAIR, A SMILE, and a thumb!"

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the only way a man can wear his hair and have it be wrong is if it's distracting....which is what the judges told Jason as a child. He was told to either cut it or tie it back because it was flying all over the place. He has extremely curly hair.

And frankly I can't see why anybody would care how he wears his hair - it's what's on his feet that counts.

I'd tell Jason to wear his back for the same reason I tell ladies to wear their hair back. It hides their facial expressions and masks good posture. It's the same for dancers. As a self professed Plushy lover, I always wanted him to cut his hair because that's what people would talk about. When I saw him really close up in 2001, I finally saw that he had beautiful blue eyes and a very expressive face. You can't really tell from far away because his hair was always flying.

I have seen Jason from his Junior days and he always wore his hair back until his exhibition. I think it's been long his entire skating career.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Rohene Ward, Jason's choreographer, has to be a PR genius who clearly understood Boston's love affair with Riverdance. I lived, worked with, breathed Riverdance back in the day... it is hard to describe it's effect on Boston proper, so, when Jason took the ice that fateful hour I was a bit afraid--a packed arena of Bostonites, devoted Riverdance fans, expecting to see Jason do it justice and he did not disappoint!!
As he took the ice with his ponytail and sparkly costume, he looked like a maverick -- a renegade -- who slanted the accepted proto-type of "male figure skater", a tad to the left... it was different, fun, exciting. At that moment when he slid center ice I was reminded of a phrase from my favorite Leguin essay: "[If you want a striking example of LeGuin's Law..].. just give a lift to one of those people along the roads who own nothing but a backpack, a guitar, A FINE HEAD OF HAIR, A SMILE, and a thumb!"

100%......I don't know if he says no but, more people should call him for their programs.....He's fantastic!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Rohene Ward is a bit overrated as a choreographer and like Jason trying other choreographers. Yes, Ward is the most flamboyant of choreographers but I am not sure what that has to do with helping Jason or anyone. Sometimes I feel he is trying make up for a skating careerthat was not to be.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Rohene Ward is a bit overrated as a choreographer and like Jason trying other choreographers. Yes, Ward is the most flamboyant of choreographers but I am not sure what that has to do with helping Jason or anyone. Sometimes I feel he is trying make up for a skating careerthat was not to be.

My HEART!!!!:drama: Two of my favorite programs are Jason's Riverdance and Mariah Bell's East of Eden. I believe he did both of those, right?

noskates

Record Breaker
Well I happen to think Rohene is a genius and not trying to make up for his skating career. And many skaters are now using him as a choreographer as evidenced by the bios in the program for US Nationals. I got so tired of the triteness of Sandra Bezic and Lori Nichols - Rohene's unique way of having his skaters present the music is refreshing. Not to mention the fact that he steers clear of musical warhorses. I happen to think he knows Jason pretty well, knows what it takes for Jason to learn choreography (as Jason has mentioned - it's a challenge for him and Rohene makes him do it over and over and over until he gets it right) and that he's good for Jason. Jason has a good team in Kori and Rohene. I only wish they'd farm him out for a few months with a really good jump coach!

But when did this fan fest turn into a "let's bash everybody" theme? One writer put their opinions in an article. Whether you like what was said, how it was said, who else was mentioned (and frankly I didn't see a diss for any other skater) it's just an article! No need to parse it to death.