Can’t do Mohawks!! | Golden Skate

Can’t do Mohawks!!

Vladik

On the Ice
Just wanted some advice. I’m having serious trouble with my mohawks. I physically cannot seem to do them. My feet won’t turn out that far. I’ve always had trouble with my feet turning out, I have what you might call “pigeon toes”. My feet have always turned in when I walk. It never really troubled me in day-to-day life, and doesn’t trouble me when it comes to normal skating as well as all the elements I’ve learnt so far. However, it’s now become a big problem whilst trying to learn mohawks. I struggle to turn my feet out a lot. Learning to get a consistent T position was hard enough. Any advice?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's more about your hip turn out and opening/closing, skating requires alot of that.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I tried that but my foot seems to be an issue too. I do have an issue with turning out in general.
You already know that you have physical issues with your feet, and maybe issues with other parts of your body. Likely off-ice exercises would be needed. But to play it safe, you should get a medical evaluation first. In your case, since you have known issues with your feet, start with a podiatrist. Discuss your skating plans. The podiatrist can decide whether further consultation with an orthopedist or physical therapist would be warranted.

Vladik

On the Ice
You already know that you have physical issues with your feet, and maybe issues with other parts of your body. Likely off-ice exercises would be needed. But to play it safe, you should get a medical evaluation first. In your case, since you have known issues with your feet, start with a podiatrist. Discuss your skating plans. The podiatrist can decide whether further consultation with an orthopedist or physical therapist would be warranted.
I went to an orthopaedist as a kid and up until a few years ago. I didn’t ever get any sort of diagnosis or name for it but I was constantly getting custom insoles fitted for my shoes to try force my feet outwards (this is before I started skating), and was required to do stretches every night. Unfortunately, didn’t really help so I stopped going. I think it’d help if I went back to one though, however this time with my skating plans in mind.

starryskate

Rinkside
I went to an orthopaedist as a kid and up until a few years ago. I didn’t ever get any sort of diagnosis or name for it but I was constantly getting custom insoles fitted for my shoes to try force my feet outwards (this is before I started skating), and was required to do stretches every night. Unfortunately, didn’t really help so I stopped going. I think it’d help if I went back to one though, however this time with my skating plans in mind.
I have knock knees and sickle feet. It sounds like you have the same issue. There are two things you're gonna need to do: Strengthen your bum and work on your hip rotators. Without strength you can't hold the opened up position. If you fix the hip and strength problem your feet WILL follow. Also consider doing ballet exercises for winged feet. This will train your feet over time to not roll inwards.

I hope this helps!

Vladik

On the Ice
I have knock knees and sickle feet. It sounds like you have the same issue. There are two things you're gonna need to do: Strengthen your bum and work on your hip rotators. Without strength you can't hold the opened up position. If you fix the hip and strength problem your feet WILL follow. Also consider doing ballet exercises for winged feet. This will train your feet over time to not roll inwards.

I hope this helps!
Thank you! How do I work on hip rotators, and the open up position in general? Any advice on what stretches to do etc…?

starryskate

Rinkside
Thank you! How do I work on hip rotators, and the open up position in general? Any advice on what stretches to do etc…?
I would recommend floor barre exercises (just look it up on YT) and anything turn-out related. I recommend SofaBar especially. Yoga is also helpful. My biggest recommendation is to NEVER try to force anything with cold muscles. Always warm up before doing the more advanced stretches like pigeon pose.

Vladik

On the Ice
I would recommend floor barre exercises (just look it up on YT) and anything turn-out related. I recommend SofaBar especially. Yoga is also helpful. My biggest recommendation is to NEVER try to force anything with cold muscles. Always warm up before doing the more advanced stretches like pigeon pose.
Thank you! I’ll have a look into that!!

Vicki7

On the Ice
I (and my coach, actually!) have what we call "innie hips" - he can't do an outside spreadeagle and his inside ones tend to pull very tightly. I'm exactly the same, and definitely find mohawks more difficult in one direction than the other. I find stretching my IT band really helps, so that's another area to look at working on off the ice.

Also, I do what most people call a dance mohawk - heel to instep, rather than heel to heel, as it's easier to get the turn out for that, for me.

Vladik

On the Ice
I (and my coach, actually!) have what we call "innie hips" - he can't do an outside spreadeagle and his inside ones tend to pull very tightly. I'm exactly the same, and definitely find mohawks more difficult in one direction than the other. I find stretching my IT band really helps, so that's another area to look at working on off the ice.

Also, I do what most people call a dance mohawk - heel to instep, rather than heel to heel, as it's easier to get the turn out for that, for me.
Thank you! I think I’m going to practice some stuff off-ice to help me. I haven’t heard of a dance mohawk before but I’m not sure it’d work for my levels. It says I need to do an open mohawk to pass. In the future after I’ve passed, it might be easier to stick to the mohawks you do though!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Thank you! I think I’m going to practice some stuff off-ice to help me. I haven’t heard of a dance mohawk before but I’m not sure it’d work for my levels. It says I need to do an open mohawk to pass. In the future after I’ve passed, it might be easier to stick to the mohawks you do though!
Just to clarify, heel-to-instep positioning isn't specific to ice dance. It's theoretically how all open mohawks are supposed to be done if one is being neat and tidy. Widestepping (not putting the feet close together during the turn) is common in freestyle because it doesn't matter as much there, but neat feet are essential in ice dance. So you definitely wouldn't be penalised in your test if you do heel-to-instep mohawks.

Vladik

On the Ice
Just to clarify, heel-to-instep positioning isn't specific to ice dance. It's theoretically how all open mohawks are supposed to be done if one is being neat and tidy. Widestepping (not putting the feet close together during the turn) is common in freestyle because it doesn't matter as much there, but neat feet are essential in ice dance. So you definitely wouldn't be penalised in your test if you do heel-to-instep mohawks.
Oh thank you, I wasn’t aware! I’m not really sure what a heel-to-instep mohawk is, and what the difference is! I’ll have an Google search for it.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Oh thank you, I wasn’t aware! I’m not really sure what a heel-to-instep mohawk is, and what the difference is! I’ll have an Google search for it
This video shows open and closed Mohawks: https://youtu.be/vknixHHPbUI

I do mine the same way as in the video. Some friends do theirs with a wider foot position - what I was referring to as heel to heel. Both are open, just slightly different in looks.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I used to fail skaters whose Forward Inside Open Mohawks that weren't done with the heel to the instep. Heel to heel is sloppy and not to be encouraged when learning. Once you've passed it and you're skating freestyle, then in theory it "doesn't matter" because those Mohawks aren't considered to be elements but... Learn and do it properly.

Vladik

On the Ice
This video shows open and closed Mohawks: https://youtu.be/vknixHHPbUI

I do mine the same way as in the video. Some friends do theirs with a wider foot position - what I was referring to as heel to heel. Both are open, just slightly different in looks.
I had my first lesson with mohawks today! I can do them a little on one leg but the other leg feels impossible. They have to be open mohawks that are instep or something? I don’t remember the wording lol

Vicki7

On the Ice
So I've just had to search as I'm in the UK and we learn them a lot earlier than they teach them in the US curriculum. From what I can read, the first demonstrations in the video I posted above is what you need to do - an open inside mohawk, but please ask your coach what they're looking for specifically in order for you to pass. It's totally normal to have one side that works better - my left to right one is still shaky (and I'm now having to really work at fixing it because I'm a very new trainee coach with a skater just starting them!). The main thing is, practice both ways, even though one side is more difficult.

Vladik

On the Ice
So I've just had to search as I'm in the UK and we learn them a lot earlier than they teach them in the US curriculum. From what I can read, the first demonstrations in the video I posted above is what you need to do - an open inside mohawk, but please ask your coach what they're looking for specifically in order for you to pass. It's totally normal to have one side that works better - my left to right one is still shaky (and I'm now having to really work at fixing it because I'm a very new trainee coach with a skater just starting them!). The main thing is, practice both ways, even though one side is more difficult.
Thank you! I asked the coaches and I know what I have to do, it’s just tough haha. One of my legs is so stubborn.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you! I asked the coaches and I know what I have to do, it’s just tough haha. One of my legs is so stubborn.
Everybody has that when they start. One side is always more difficult. I recommend to always practice the harder side first. Never, ever neglect the harder way.