Dance Tests | Golden Skate

Dance Tests

nmchris1oo2

Spectator
Hi all!

I just passed senior MIF and I need some clarification on what I can test next.

I have my partnered dance tests completed through silver and plan to gold medal. After I pass gold if I chose to start testing my dances solo, will I have to start at preliminary or is there some sort of exception for people that have already gotten a gold medal in partnered dance?

Also, can't you test senior free dance if you pass senior MIF?

I am sorry if this is super confusing, I am just on a mission to test out of as many levels as I can. Looking forward to your responses, thanks!

Arwen17

Final Flight
Yes, I believe you can test senior free dance if you've already passed senior MIF.

I think you have to start at the beginning for solo dances. Most people choose to test partnered or solo, not both, so I think you have to test them as separate tracks if you do both. At least you can probably pass many of the low level solo tests easily in one day. I've seen a NOVICE MIF skater race thru the first 6 solo dance tests in one test session. No previous dance experience.

Your coach should be able to answer all of this tho.

Edit: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/partnered-vs-solo.109526/
It sounds like you might be able to just go take the final Solo Pattern Dance for another gold medal.

Last edited:

vesperholly

Spectator
Pre-requisites for solo free dance tests changed in February and senior MIF no longer qualifies a skater to take senior solo free dance. It was never allowed as a pre-requisite for partnered free dance.

Only pattern dances are pre-requisites for solo free dance. You need to pass any one pre-gold pattern dance to test senior. You need to pass your complete gold pattern dance for senior partnered free dance.

For testing solo pattern dances, you can either start from Preliminary or you can just take the Gold dances once you pass the Pre-Gold partnered dance test. Partnered dance tests are pre-requisites for solo, you can switch over at any time. For example if you have passed the Fourteenstep partnered, you can test the Foxtrot and European solo. However if you do this, you cannot then take any Silver dances partnered, you must remain on the solo track. Solo dances are not pre-requisites for partnered dances. You can go back and retest those dances partnered in order to proceed on the partnered track.

Rulebook: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/US Figure Skating Rulebook.pdf

8311 for partnered free dance pre-requisites (complete gold pattern dance for senior)
8361 for solo free dance pre-requisites (one pre-gold dance for senior) - changed per TN 274 (log into USFS members only first): https://www.usfigureskating.org/system/files/TN 274 Solo Free Dance Prerequisites.pdf

iceskating21

On the Ice
I did some research when my skater planned to try Senior Solo Free Dance. The only prerequisite is 1 Pre-Gold Pattern Dance. So, you are very close now. Testing 1 pre-gold, then you can try Senior Solo Free Dance test. For you, the best way to get gold medal in solo pattern dance is to keep working on Partnered Pattern Dance. When you are done with Gold, test Gold in Solo again. Then you have both gold medals. Including free dance and MIF, you will be quad gold medalist. Obviously if you can do Partnered pattern gold dance, you can surely do them solo too. You probably can test together.