Eteri Tutberidze to became a mentor in a weight loss reality show | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze to became a mentor in a weight loss reality show

icewhite

Record Breaker
I seriously dislike Tutberidze as much as most people, but the problem here is not Eteri but these kinds of shows per se.
Whether it's Tutberidze or Heidi Klum or some unknown wannabe "mentoring" the participants, coming up with miserable "helpful" statements that only promote themselves doesn't really matter.
Of course these shows are not there to help people.
If we are talking about people with very serious obesity those can only be helped by medical and psychological experts (and maybe friends and family), but surely not if they are put out there for voyeurism. Actually I think there is almost no person in the world who profits from being on such a show other than the moderators, mentors, supervisors, whatever they are called.

And I agree with Kolyadafan that the damage that these shows do goes beyond the participants themselves.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
:mad::eek2::poop: This is just screwed up and wrong. Please tell me I am just living in some kind of alternate universe?!🤢
Please tell me that this show will not be a viral sensation and that as a result, Eteri will not be chosen to perform a similar role in a copycat U.S. production :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Please tell me that this show will not be a viral sensation and that as a result, Eteri will not be chosen to perform a similar role in a copycat U.S. production :)
There's no way she would either way.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think it's that complicated any weight loss is good.
You are wrong here. Sorry. I don't think there is anything more to add here about healthy weight-loss if you don't believe in science.

Finally, considering the well-known problems in eating disorders and body image issues in figure skating, the last person who should accept to do a weight loss reality show is a figure skating coach.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I seriously dislike Tutberidze as much as most people, but the problem here is not Eteri but these kinds of shows per se.
Whether it's Tutberidze or Heidi Klum or some unknown wannabe "mentoring" the participants, coming up with miserable "helpful" statements that only promote themselves doesn't really matter.
Of course these shows are not there to help people.
If we are talking about people with very serious obesity those can only be helped by medical and psychological experts (and maybe friends and family), but surely not if they are put out there for voyeurism. Actually I think there is almost no person in the world who profits from being on such a show other than the moderators, mentors, supervisors, whatever they are called.

And I agree with Kolyadafan that the damage that these shows do goes beyond the participants themselves.
There is a difference when it's a well-known coach of young girls, many of which admitted developing eating disorders.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Sorry, maybe you I didn't write it correctly. Weight cuts are very unhealthy, but my point was someone with already low body fat and in elite condition cutting several kilograms does not kill them. They don't really have 1kg to cut, but still find a way to cut several kg. It is not healthy, it's terrible, but these people aren't dropping dead.

These are people weighing 241kg. They have 180kg to cut, not 1kg like elite athletes. Cutting 10kg will not affect them only help them, take pressure off their heart.

If an elite athlete can survive cutting 3kg when they only have 1kg to spare, the person who cuts 10kg when they have 180kg to spare can survive just fine.
I truly don't think we should be aiming for survival but for health. The human body can survive a lot of extreme circumstances, but rarely without permanent damage.

Who has been helped when someone is now no longer obese but instead suffers from permanent kidney damage, maybe even to the point of kidney failure? What we know is that a weight loss pace of approximately -1 kg/week carries little risks and leads to sustainable health improvements in obese people, why then try and risk further complications for people who are already in poor health?

Rapid weight loss can be especially dangerous for people who are morbidly obese, as these patients quite often already suffer from kidney diseases, which has been shown to be a risk factor for kidney failure after rapid weight loss, the risk-reward calculations should be done by professionals (doctors and nutritionists), and their health not be played with by people with no formal education on the topic at all. People's health should not be a game of Russian Roulette for the entertainment of others.

Skating91

Medalist
I truly don't think we should be aiming for survival but for health. The human body can survive a lot of extreme circumstances, but rarely without permanent damage.

Who has been helped when someone is now no longer obese but instead suffers from permanent kidney damage, maybe even to the point of kidney failure? What we know is that a weight loss pace of approximately -1 kg/week carries little risks and leads to sustainable health improvements in obese people, why then try and risk further complications for people who are already in poor health?

Rapid weight loss can be especially dangerous for people who are morbidly obese, as these patients quite often already suffer from kidney diseases, which has been shown to be a risk factor for kidney failure after rapid weight loss, the risk-reward calculations should be done by professionals (doctors and nutritionists), and their health not be played with by people with no formal education on the topic at all. People's health should not be a game of Russian Roulette for the entertainment of others.

I think this is an overreation helping people 180kg heavier than optimal weight is a good thing. They are a ticking time bomb everyday they maintain that weight. I know people hate Eteri, but hating her for trying to help the fattest and unhealthiest people on the planet learn some discipline is a misdirection of hate. I guarantee no-one died of a heart attack on the show. If their hearts are strong enough to withstand 241kg they can withstand losing 50 or 100 kg.

An athlete in perfect shape trying to lost 1kg is more of a health problem than these people trying to lose 100kg. They are the most unhealthy people as it is, every kg they lose is helping them.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Probably. But a model or actress or whatever is NOT coaching young kids as their main trade.
To be fair, Heidi's main (really only) job has been Germany's Next Top Model since 2006, where she was responsible for the physical and mental well-being of girls as young as 16, and that's not counting the fact that the main audience is even younger. She's definitely also had a negative impact on many young girls (In a representative study, one-third of 241 patients with eating disorders said GNTM had a very strong influence on their illness), even if she has not had a direct connection to them like a sports coach would have.

Personally, I just don't think people who openly admit to doing the nutrition plans for their athletes without having formal education should be given even more of a platform, but maybe that's just me 🤷‍♀️

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Discipline" is a 1950s. outmoded form of addressing serious weight issues.

So much progress has been made since then in addressing unhealthy eating.

Why would we rely on the childish "Oh just don't eat that, strong minded people just don't eat unhealthily, ya dee ya dee ya dee" when we know so much more now?

Particularly anyone who holds themselves out for hire in guiding young athletes? I certainly wouldn't want someone stuck in the past like that. :shrug:

(and "results" are meaningless, that doesn't mean that someone isn't living in the past. )

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I this shows the goal is to loose as fast weight as possible to win not to become more healthy. 2 years ago I took part in a live style study of the medical department of the Technical University of Munich. I got 800 cal a day and every month a medical check up including MRI. This study was open only open to persons with a BMI lower that 40, because for more heavy people it is to dangeours and they would need a permanent medical supervison.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I think this is an overreation helping people 180kg heavier than optimal weight is a good thing. They are a ticking time bomb everyday they maintain that weight. I know people hate Eteri, but hating her for trying to help the fattest and unhealthiest people on the planet learn some discipline is a misdirection of hate. I guarantee no-one died of a heart attack on the show. If their hearts are strong enough to withstand 241kg they can withstand losing 50 or 100 kg.

An athlete in perfect shape trying to lost 1kg is more of a health problem than these people trying to lose 100kg. They are the most unhealthy people as it is, every kg they lose is helping them.
You are free to believe what you want. I can't and won't force you to read and believe studies.

I'll just say it like this "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" (or "Das Gegenteil von Gut ist nicht Böse sondern gut gemeint" - "The opposite of good is not bad/evil, it is well-intentioned" for my German-speakers :wink:). Just because you think you are helping, does not mean you aren't causing harm with your actions.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
To be fair, Heidi's main (really only) job has been Germany's Next Top Model since 2006, where she was responsible for the physical and mental well-being of girls as young as 16, and that's not counting the fact that the main audience is even younger. She's definitely also had a negative impact on many young girls (In a representative study, one-third of 241 patients with eating disorders said GNTM had a very strong influence on their illness), even if she has not had a direct connection to them like a sports coach would have.

Personally, I just don't think people who openly admit to doing the nutrition plans for their athletes without having formal education should be given even more of a platform, but maybe that's just me 🤷‍♀️
I don't know Heidi Klum nor GNTM. so thanks for the info... so both of them shouldn't be helping people lose weight :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
They are already copycatting USA. Biggest Loser was a public forum for shaming and whipping overweight people. Jillian Michaels and the like are not unlike Tutberidze and pretty much all of the BL participants gained weight the second they didn't spend every waking hour on treadmill. There are no miracle solutions in weight loss and the best way to lose weight remains the same: not to gain it in the first place + don't look at genetic mavericks for the idea what a body is supposed to look like.

Skating91

Medalist
They are already copycatting USA. Biggest Loser was a public forum for shaming and whipping overweight people. Jillian Michaels and the like are not unlike Tutberidze and pretty much all of the BL participants gained weight the second they didn't spend every waking hour on treadmill. There are no miracle solutions in weight loss and the best way to lose weight remains the same: not to gain it in the first place + don't look at genetic mavericks for the idea what a body is supposed to look like.
The solution to weight loss if you are 241kg is cutting calories. It's simple stuff.

What is the alternative? Give them the same calories and then pray for the best?

triplelutzzzzz

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The show's entire existence is strange and imo awful, but the fact that Eteri is such a well-known coach in a very lucrative and competitive sport... The things said and done of this show will be taken seriously by many people.

Also, just to add my two cents to the debate above, it is unhealthy to lose massive amounts of weight super quickly. Calorie deficient diets are okay to do, but you need to be careful with how you do them, making sure their done correctly and safely.

However, this show which seems like a show similar to The Biggest Loser, the methods used on these shows do not work. Yes, the people on these shows lose weight and they lose a lot of it, but they lose weight because they are working out 12 hours a day and eating practically nothing. There's a reason the people on shows like this gain the weight back.

There is a bad way to lose weight and shows like this are prime examples of unhealthy ways to lose weight. Losing weight is a process of incorporating activity in daily life and changing diet habits to either make them more balanced or use a calorie deficient diet depending on your ultimate goal. Weight loss is a slow process.

The hate towards Eteri on this is not misplaced in the least. Is it possible that this show could be super educational and show how to lose weight healthily? I guess? There is always that possibility, but I highly doubt it. Shows like these do not exist in a vacuum, people see them and internalize the ideas and behaviors and then they implement them into their lives and sometimes their children's lives. This has a domino effect of generations of people who have unhealthy and dangerous attitudes about weight, fatness, and weight loss.