Favorite Warhorse programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Warhorse programs

AnaBM

Rinkside
No. )) I liked it a lot and since I was in Shanghai I can confirm that the audience liked it as well. Actually, it was my favorite program of the event.
I loved W/P :) but I still prefer Chan's 4 seasons ;)

Pff...thank God! And I loved Patrick's Four Seasons as well ;) I'm just not that much into men, but he's one of my favourite skaters so :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

laire

Rinkside
My favorite Carmen is Witt. Saying that makes me feel old although I wasn't even born when she won her 2nd OGM) Also I really liked V/M's approach to it. And I like K/O's one.
Schindler's List is also Witt. And Paul Wylie, yes. His is different because it has a fast part in it.
I don't like POTO in general but well, I quite like D/W's one.
G/G's Nutcracker, S/Z's Turandot, Baiul's Swan Lake, Lambiel's 4 Seasons, Kwan's East of Eden (if it's a warhorse).
R&J, Rach #2 - not sure.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I love Sasha and Yuzu's Romeo and Juliet
Yuzu's POTO
Daisuke's La Strada

Does Matrix count as a Warhorse if Brian Joubert single-handedly made it one?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Other ones I love are I/Z's SD, Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot (even if the Olympics one is a bit cold), Yulia's Schindler's List, Yuna's Les Mis and V/T's Masquerade <--- I remember someone saying it was a 2nd class warhorse? Not sure what it means but I love it :love:.

Ehm, that was I. :eek:: I use this sorting for warhorses quite often. By 2nd category warhorse, I mean the music is certainly popular and a lot of skater use it, but when you hear the music, it is not like you want to mute it because it's the fifth time you hear, or it's not simply used as often as Carmen, POTO and other first category warhorses. Also, usually there is not a really signature or legendary program to this music (Witt's Carmen, T/D Bolero etc.).

Oh yeah, I am glad someone remembers my posts. :biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Weaver & Poje's "Four Seasons" & Josh Farris' "Schindler's List" (also Jonathan Cassar's a few seasons back).

edenlover

On the Ice
I love Davis and White's Scheherazade as well. I get still goose bumps when I watch it. Agree with Michelle's Aranez and Tosca. One thing about Michelle--she used
a lot of unused music that is becoming or likely will become war horse music. She was the first (other than the vocal version that Underhill and Martini skated to in world pro which is classic) who used East of Eden and since, I've heard/seen many skate to it. I'll always think of her 98 performance when I hear that music

Weathergal

Medalist
am I the only one who actually liked Weaver/Poje's Four Seasons? Please say no :eek::.

I loved it, too!

Some of my favorite "warhorse" versions:
"Les Miserables" - Felicia Zhang / Nathan Bartholomay's LP last season (especially their performance at Nationals) and Qian Pang/Jian Tong's LP last season
"Bolero" - Torvill/Dean, Carolina. Love Liza, but her version not my favorite. And of course with the 3A...pretty amazing!
"Schindler's List" - Paul Wylie LP, Joshua Farris LP
"Tosca" - Viktor Petrenko EX, Michelle Kwan LP
"Phantom of the Opera" - Daisuke Takahashi LP, Meryl Davis/Charlie White LP

nieves

On the Ice
Carmen - V/M
POTO - Yuzuru, I like the unorthodox music cuts
Swan Lake - I/K
4 Seasons - Chan
I like most of Yuna's warhorse programs over the others, except Turnadot (Which belongs to queen Shizuka)

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Chan- Four seasons

Daisuke- La strada

Plushenko: Carmen ( But I like Adelina, I/Z, Cesario, V/M !!!)

Yuzuru's R&J in 2012! and Anissina/ Peizerat's R&J

Mao- Liebestraum and Swan lake

D/W- Sheherezade

Plushenko , Kostner, Liza's Bolero

Plushenko- Tosca, Adagio, Aranjuez

V/T and Domnina/Shabalin- Masquerade Waltz

Grischuk/Platov -Libertango

Lambiel- Malaguena

Yuna- Dance Macabre and Les Miserables

I'm sure I have many others...I'm not hating the overused music, I just want to see some new things,if the programs the skaters have impact on me, I don't get tired of them.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
great thread - just because many of us are tired of using a few pieces of music constantly by skaters doesn't mean that lots of these programs were fantastc and very memorable :)

For me:

- definitely Tessa and Scott Carmen FD from 2012/13 season - still re-watching this at least few times in month, especially the very first video from SC pratice, I adore probably everything about this program - insane lifts, fantastic step sequences, transitions, costumes and music cuts...The modern approach toward this Carmen program was on point along with simple yet intricate black outfits;

- Mao's Swan Lake FP from 2012/13 (another program from that season and it will be more probably) - this program was a really good balance between classic and contemporary style I think - she portrayed perfectly the ballerina and used the music for that, but the choreography was no generic or to stiff/balletic-like. And her outfits were exquisite - the details on the back and silvery-white "cuffs" on wrists were amazing;

- Daisuke's La Strada FP from olympic season 2009/2010 - one of his best I think (along with hip-hop Swan Lake and Blues for Klook),great musicality, interpretation and detailed choreography which showcased his talent;

- Aliona and Robin's FS to Nutcracker from lat olympic season 2013/14 - at first, I was very sceptical about this I remember, their best numbers were always for something modern/different (like Pina from 2011/12 season), but I grew on me - I think using only one piece from it instead of making cuts fromdifferent parts was very good, it captured a "fairy" character of this program. And Aliona made a beautiful figurine/ballerina in that costume :)

- I don't know if Rachmaninoff's music is considered overall as a warhorse, but if it counts as such, I'd add also Partick Chan's SP to Rachmaninoff from 2012/13 season - I'm not even a fan of him, but this program does something to me every time I see it, the moves, choreography were just tailored to the point for this piece of music in this program;

chezzu

On the Ice
Adelina's Carmen is one of my favorite programs /ever/ and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe I have strange taste.

Also I/K's Swan Lake. It was mesmerizing! I'd say Mao's Swan Lake, too, but I really only liked the footwork sequence at the end.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Mao's Rach (I think Rach's Piano No.2 counts as a warhorse?)

V/M's Carmen

Mirai's Carmen

Akiko Suzuki's POTO

D/W's Scheherazade

Kostner's Bolero

Zijun's Sleeping Beauty

Barb

Record Breaker
1. V/M Carmen
2. Mao Swan lake and Rach 2
3. Sasha R&J, Rach 2 and Nutcracker
4. Chan POTO and Aranjuez
5. W/P four seasons

bramweld

Record Breaker
I/Z's Carmen short dance made me love that piece of music.

YUP, my favourite Carmen. While I love V/M, I can watch COR 2014, Nationals and their EC SD ad nauseam. Then I take a break and start all over again. It's a special sickness. :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Several of my favourites have been mentioned already. Is Claire de Lune a warhorse? Because if it is, I do love Kavaguti/Smirnov's program. (I love it even if it isn't a warhorse, obviously.;))

Amei

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen was the queen of the warhorses! I think her swan lake was the best of them, though.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Akiko Suzuki "O"
Carolina Kostner Bolero
Ashley Wagner Moulin Rouge
Mao Asada Swan Lake
Alena Leonova Chaplin

Fernandez Chaplin
Chan Four Seasons and Elegie
Takahashi Blues for Klook and Pagliacci