Federations Decisions on Ties: Good, Okay and Ugly | Golden Skate

Federations Decisions on Ties: Good, Okay and Ugly

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In number 1 we have Sweden. They are the BEST!!! Josefin and Nikolai are both going and screw the stupid criteria, because they are stupid! ---> Great
In number 2 we have Spain. Smart/Dias won as per clearly defined decision making process (which one has better combined total from Finlandia, Nationals, and Europeans), they are going. ---> Good
In number 3, we have Canada. James/Radford are going, they were sick and they have better potential, scores, everything. The other guys got 4CC. ---> Good
In number 4, we have US. Malinin won, he is not going, but he gets JWC and WC, and they followed the letter of the criteria. ---> Okay
In number 5, we have Dutch. van Zundert’s competitors were set a condition to beat her by min of 20 points. —> Okay
In number 6, we have Russia. In a head-to-head tie, Mozalev won 2x, got selected, but had to wait for a week to find out. —> Okay
In number 7, we have Australia. We may imagine them being laid back, but when it comes to figure skating, they decided to play tough. In the absence of competitors, Australia sent their only 2 athletes to 4CC or no Olympics —> Bad

Last edited:
Reactions: Riv

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What about us Dutchies where we were okay with Lindsay van Zundert's scores at World's, but demanded 20 points more from any other contender? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely was in favour of Lindsay getting the spot - she was the one who captured it in the first place at 2021 Worlds (for the first time in 46 years a Dutch woman at the OG). But I still think it was a tough job for any other woman who wished to capture the spot: she had to get those 20 points more at two selected competitions. In the end it made no difference, as the other contender didn't even come close to the scores Lindsay got at Worlds, let alone 20 points more, but I still think it was somewhat unfair towards competitors. It would have been more fair if the Dutch Federation had just stated that the only one who could go was the one who had captured the spot in the first place! Then everyone would have known. They might be unhappy perhaps, but at least it's clear from the start. Like the Czech Republic did for their candidates.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What about us Dutchies where we were okay with Lindsay van Zundert's scores at World's, but demanded 20 points more from any other contender? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely was in favour of Lindsay getting the spot - she was the one who captured it in the first place at 2021 Worlds (for the first time in 46 years a Dutch woman at the OG). But I still think it was a tough job for any other woman who wished to capture the spot: she had to get those 20 points more at two selected competitions. In the end it made no difference, as the other contender didn't even come close to the scores Lindsay got at Worlds, let alone 20 points more, but I still think it was somewhat unfair towards competitors. It would have been more fair if the Dutch Federation had just stated that the only one who could go was the one who had captured the spot in the first place! Then everyone would have known. They might be unhappy perhaps, but at least it's clear from the start. Like the Czech Republic did for their candidates.
So, who was Lindsay’s closest competitor?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In number 2 we have Spain. Smart/Dias won as per clearly defined decision making process (which one is better at Eu), they are going. ---> Good

In the documentary featuring Montreal Ice Dancers, I believe Olivia Smart said that the determination would be made by totalling each team's scores from Finlandia, Nationals, and Europeans. Straight by the numbers, which team came on top would go.

In number 3, we have Canada. James/Radford are going, they were sick and they have better potential, scores, everything. The other guys got 4CC. ---> Good

(y)
In number 4, we have US. Malinin won, he is not going, but he gets JWC and WC, and they followed the letter of the criteria. ---> Okay

But no, Malinin didn't win. He won silver. I'd have liked to see him go to the Olympics, but am really glad he gets JWC and WC. And I think it's important that they did follow the letter of the criteria. Overall, I'd rate this ---> Good.

Now, for RusFed...
On tenterhooks ....

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
So, who was Lindsay’s closest competitor?
Niki Wories...who's been the Dutch Champion 6 times but has been suffering a lot of injuries the last few years, and still wanted to try. And then was confronted with the demands of the Dutch Federation. She really did go for it, but it was an impossible demand. she never complained though, just stated that she was going to try.

Thankfully, she's still going to continue due to her love of skating. I admire her guts!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In the documentary featuring Montreal Ice Dancers, I believe Olivia Smart said that the determination would be made by totalling each team's scores from Finlandia, Nationals, and Europeans. Straight by the numbers, which team came on top would go.
But I believe that the first time Spain had two almost-equal ice dance teams they announced something similar (by the numbers) for Worlds or Europeans selection, then ignored their own criteria and chose the team with the lower score because "they were almost tied, and the tiebreaker is ... something we never bothered to mention before".

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Niki Wories...who's been the Dutch Champion 6 times but has been suffering a lot of injuries the last few years, and still wanted to try. And then was confronted with the demands of the Dutch Federation. She really did go for it, but it was an impossible demand. she never complained though, just stated that she was going to try.

Thankfully, she's still going to continue due to her love of skating. I admire her guts!
Adding it in!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
With regard to Spain, both teams were and are so close. The same teams now as in 2018, and this time Olivia and Adria came on top, the last time Sara and Kyrill did. I don't know if any criteria were ignored last time, I do know that quite a few people had question marks about some of the competitions involved in determining the couple who would go. They solved it then by sending the one to the Olympics, and the other to Worlds. This time it was clear who 'was on top'.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can we add Australia, who for no discernible reason whatsoever, have chosen to include 4CC as part of the Olympic selection process therefore making Brendan and Kailani go to Tallinn so that they can be named?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can we add Australia, who for no discernible reason whatsoever, have chosen to include 4CC as part of the Olympic selection process therefore making Brendan and Kailani go to Tallinn so that they can be named?
Oh is that why they're going? That's not good at all :( I hope they're both fully boosted and have N95 masks at the ready!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With regard to Spain, both teams were and are so close. The same teams now as in 2018, and this time Olivia and Adria came on top, the last time Sara and Kyrill did. I don't know if any criteria were ignored last time, I do know that quite a few people had question marks about some of the competitions involved in determining the couple who would go. They solved it then by sending the one to the Olympics, and the other to Worlds. This time it was clear who 'was on top'.
I see that I misremembered. It was including Golden Spin, where the judging was expected to be favorable to H/K, that was controversial. They did follow their own criteria.

Thank goodness Spain has had 2 ID spots at Europeans since the 2018-19 season, so both teams can go head-to-head there (and get those valuable ranking points).

I see that the Spanish fed did spread around the assignments when there was only one for Europeans: in 16/17 H/K got Europeans and S/D got Worlds, and in 17/18 H/K got Europeans + Olympics and S/D got Worlds.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't understand why. Who else would they send. All that comes of this is tired and possibly sick athletes going to the OG. If they don't do well, then that fed contributed to a poor result and should not be able to complain. Go Brendan and Kailani !

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, maybe there will be no Russian sweep at the OG because of RusFed strategy???
Well this is in regards to men, I think the other disciplines are pretty set in who they're sending.

There's only one men's spot up in the air, or at least I assume so, otherwise both Zhenya Semenenko and Andrei Mozalev would be going rather than the Fed trying to figure out which of the two to send.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Adding in!