Gold vs. Wagner | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Gold vs. Wagner

Layback11

Record Breaker
Gracie is clearly ahead of Ashley as of now, but Polina is really back with a vengeance. I was impressed by her nerves of steel at this event, even if her FS bored me. Ashley...eeehhh. Not sure right now.

Hope they send Mirai, Polina and Tyler to 4CC. Works both ways: the latter two get the exposure, and Gracie and Ashley can focus on worlds.

desertskates

Medalist
I think that was answered quite clearly tonight! I'm usually Team Ashley, but Gracie slayed that long and it's so nice to see her enjoy a hard earned and well deserved victory! Congrats to team Gracie!
Really looking forward to seeing all three ladies do their best at Worlds :)

RABID

Final Flight
Gracie is clearly ahead of Ashley as of now, but Polina is really back with a vengeance. I was impressed by her nerves of steel at this event, even if her FS bored me. Ashley...eeehhh. Not sure right now.

Hope they send Mirai, Polina and Tyler to 4CC. Works both ways: the latter two get the exposure, and Gracie and Ashley can focus on worlds.

Both Gracie and Polina did something they have never done before. They both should come out of this competition with a new sense of purpose and confidence. Not Ashley however. If Ashley is to pattern at Worlds expect to see a poor short followed then by a "masterful" free and golly gee, missed the podium by only two places..... Obviously I don't agree with you. Send all three of them to Worlds with a proviso attached to Ashley's invitation; time is running out.
Sorry, it just occurred to me, does the US get three places? If not this is indeed a hard one to decide. At the very least Ashley should be made to sweat it out.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Gracie and Polina did something they have never done before. They both should come out of this competition with a new sense of purpose and confidence. Not Ashley however. If Ashley is to pattern at Worlds expect to see a poor short followed then by a "masterful" free and golly gee, missed the podium by only two places..... Obviously I don't agree with you. Send all three of them to Worlds with a proviso attached to Ashley's invitation; time is running out.
Sorry, it just occurred to me, does the US get three places? If not this is indeed a hard one to decide. At the very least Ashley should be made to sweat it out.

Ashley and Gracie together are the two U.S.women who earned three U.S. places back by performing so well at Worlds in 2013, 2014 and 2015. So your ill wish to Ashley is a bit misinformed. To say the least.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I was really really really relieved to see both Gracie and Ashley didn't bomb in the FS much more than to see their winning medals. I worried the possibility of the two to be off the podium just like the GPF outcome. The top 3 deservedly can go to both 4CC and Worlds, but may be not for Ashley who already won the title and travelling aboard can give her disadvantages for her body: look at the NHK result. On the other hand, Gracie without any big title from championships needs to expose herself to more competition before Worlds, while Polina who already won the title needs herself to be recognized by international judges.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I almost completely agree. I think Ashley needs to go to 4CC. :drama:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't matter how Polina skates since I believe if Ashley and Gracie aren't train wrecks the judges will inflate their marks high enough to edge by her. 7.5 points can be made up just like that.

Some will complain but many will say Gracie and Ashley skate with more elegance so its okay and then nitpick all of Polina's faults.

You've been proven wrong in your belief.

The U.S. judges score fairly. They don't inflate scores any more than any other nationals do.

Ashley, Polina and Gracie earned their scores tonight, just as they did last year. I was in the arena, and it was a fabulous night. Even though I'm an Ashley uber, I feel the scores were right. The audience cheered for everyone and was very appreciative of what all the skaters were doing. Appreciative and generous, happy to enjoy great performances.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Great performances by the final group tonight. After the warmup (i was in the area) I though Ashley had it in the bag. I've never seen anyone looking so calm and confident. I think popping the final jump was almost a case of being too relaxed, I think everyone in the area had stopped holding their breath and so did she. . she wasn't focusing 100% and it cost her a spot on the team. I guess. If she had skated perfectly I don't know if the standings would have changed.

I didn't love Polina's childlike take on Gone with the Wind but can't deny she skated clean and with a new polish. The girl has great arms and fingers, so expressive. The ballet training is obvious.

Gracie's performance was one for the ages. Perfect program. Seeing her pull that out after Polina's huge score and after looking so jittery in warm up was incredible. There were so many moist eyes in the Xcel center. Still even after she finished I though the SP standings would be enough to give Polina the win. I was overjoyed to be wrong. . . Gracie skated like the champion. :luv17:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I almost completely agree. I think Ashley needs to go to 4CC. :drama:

I think Ashley did well enough that a trip to 4CC isn't necessary. The other girls need a chance to build some international cred!

Also she would probably perform the same anyway so for Raphael's sake it should probably be avoided :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would let Wagner AND Gold skip 4CC and focus on Worlds. Edmunds can be sent to 4CC to defend her title but I wouldn't even mind her being allowed to focus on Worlds too and allow one more breakout star (Bell?) a chance at a major ISU championship. This is the 3rd straight year those 3 will represent and they have enough championship experience. Time to "spread the wealth" a bit and give the young ones a shot.

4CC: one suggestion could be Nagasu, Pierce and perhaps Miller.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Gracie and Four Continents:

Before the GPF, she already indicated that she expected and/or wanted to go to Four Continents.

On the pre-GPF media call, someone asked what a GPF win would mean for her. In the course of answering the question, she referred to Four Continents ... IIRC, said something about how winning GPF would set her up well for Four Continents and Worlds.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
^ Three places, no problem. But Mirai skated like it was 2010!

Here is the medal ceremony. Medals were presented by Michelle Kwan. :love: (Thanks to Teach23 on the MK Forum):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZdUR7dUkAAfK7y.jpg:small

Nitpicking a little here, but Samuel Auxier, President of U.S. Figure Skating, presented the medals and Michelle Kwan presented the Owen Memorial trophy to Gracie and then gave each girl a congratulatory hug. A hug from Michelle would have been more exciting than getting a medal!

desertskates

Medalist
The more I think about it, I do think Gracie should do 4CC. It's a title she does not yet have, and she didn't get to do her long at TEB. 4CC would give her a chance to try to put 2 very strong programs out there and possibly boost her confidence for Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4CC has been a nightmare competition for Gracie so maybe she wants to slay that dragon once and for all. Last year she was the overwhelming favorite and bombed so badly she was off the podium.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Nitpicking a little here, but Samuel Auxier, President of U.S. Figure Skating, presented the medals and Michelle Kwan presented the Owen Memorial trophy to Gracie and then gave each girl a congratulatory hug. A hug from Michelle would have been more exciting than getting a medal!

What is the Owens memorial trophy, and what did Gracie win it for? Is that the glass trophy they give the national champions?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the US is as serious about winning a medal at Worlds they should send their A team to 4CC. Gracie, Polina and Ashley!!! This would send a message to the international judges and the figure skating world that they mean business. Politicking thru action. Plus they could maybe stall a few other competitors momentum going into a home worlds at the same time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If the US is as serious about winning a medal at Worlds they should send their A team to 4CC. Gracie, Polina and Ashley!!! This would send a message to the international judges and the figure skating world that they mean business. Politicking thru action. Plus they could maybe stall a few other competitors momentum going into a home worlds at the same time.

They are. They just announced the team