Gracie Gold's coaching/choreography | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold's coaching/choreography

lyndichee

Medalist
What about Kori? I like and respect Rafiel but of course it is impossible for Gracie. About Frank, I'll be less subtle now I think he is a control freak that's why Michelle left him and Gracie should do the same. Sorry just so want her to do well...

I don't forsee her leaving Frank but Kori would be a good choice as well as Jason is there and she absolutely adores him.

I won't make sweeping assumptions about Frank, but I don't think Frank/Lori is the right team for her. I think so many people who don't even like her skating want her to do well because we see so many missed opportunities and potential. She even got her own topic here after all the fuss about her new programs :laugh:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
If Gracie ever left Frank I'd suggest Brian Orser's camp. He and his team could probably help her elevate her skating the way they did for Yuzu/Javi IMO. It would be a huge move and drastic change though, I think if she were going to leave Frank it would've happened by now.

I've always thought that Gracie should switchc to Orser, something needs to change with what she is doing. Maybe it's just adding someone new to her team to help her, maybe a coaching change would be good but than again maybe she really loves her coaching staff. She is seeing a sports psychologist again, that might help.

I really hope she has a breakout season this year, she's one of my favorite skaters. I know many say she's not expressive but I think her coreography is so well interpreted, she doesn't give a ton of face like other skaters but every movement in firebird was so well done and she sold that program for me.

I loved it at US Nationals, but I personally felt that "Firebird" was too big of a task/theme for her psychologically. It only really clicked when she had something to prove (like a biffed SP) IMO, so while she could pull it off really well, it was maybe a year or two too soon to be able to handle what the piece requires (in any situation). Firebird is a huge theme.

I think her new music could be better for her nerves when the pressure really kicks in during competitions.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I won't make sweeping assumptions about Frank, but I don't think Frank/Lori is the right team for her. I think so many people who don't even like her skating want her to do well because we see so many missed opportunities and potential. She even got her own topic here after all the fuss about her new programs :laugh:

It's hard to say. A lot of skaters fail to reach their full potential and, sometimes, no coach can make them a good competitor. I don't think the mistakes that she makes (which cost her championships) are due to her not liking her choreography. If she would just not fall and not pop jumps she would get the highest PCS and very close to the highest TES in any event. It's not easy though; there has been precisely one skater (Yuna) in the last 10 years who has shown any level of consistency over a period of several years. I don't think any coach out there can get her better results than Frank because I don't think her problems are due to coaching.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't forsee her leaving Frank but Kori would be a good choice as well as Jason is there and she absolutely adores him.

Speaking of Jason, I think that's sort of the challenge Gracie has. I think her choreography is good, but for some reason she doesn't CONNECT with the audience. Even when Jason falls or struggles he always manages to keep the level of performance up. I think that's partially because he LOVES performing. I don't think that's the case with Gracie.

When I see Gracie live, I can understand (brain) why she scores well -- she has great speed, choreography, etc...but she doesn't connect from a heart perspective.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Speaking of Jason, I think that's sort of the challenge Gracie has. I think her choreography is good, but for some reason she doesn't CONNECT with the audience. Even when Jason falls or struggles he always manages to keep the level of performance up. I think that's partially because he LOVES performing. I don't think that's the case with Gracie.

When I see Gracie live, I can understand (brain) why she scores well -- she has great speed, choreography, etc...but she doesn't connect from a heart perspective.

I agree. He should give her some lessons :biggrin:

(This is also something I admire about Ashley and Emily Chan: even when they're not skating well, they don't give up on the performance and manage to draw you in.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Her choreography could be a better. She's yet to have a very good "choreography sequence" element in any of her Long Programs. The flip entrance was too tentative this past season, I know she needs to work on the inside edge for the points, but it's distracting. She also keeps doing the same generic back spiral into the 2nd Lutz of her LP. No variation to the music at all, it's continued to be the exact same regardless. Her transitions in general are not the most difficult, although that's separate from choreography. She doesn't change her spins to specifically suit the programs either; she's done the exact same spins in the SP and LP for 2 years in a row.

Also, regardless of the choreography someone has been given, it's up to them to complete it. Failing to fully extend and/or hold the small extensions of the body and specific positions is a deficit to the choreography. Not moving with great fluidity/purpose is a deficit to the choreography. Her speed, jumping/spinning ability, general attractiveness, and the promise of being "a superstar skater" have held up her PCS to higher than they should be.

lyndichee

Medalist
It's hard to say. A lot of skaters fail to reach their full potential and, sometimes, no coach can make them a good competitor. I don't think the mistakes that she makes (which cost her championships) are due to her not liking her choreography. If she would just not fall and not pop jumps she would get the highest PCS and very close to the highest TES in any event. It's not easy though; there has been precisely one skater (Yuna) in the last 10 years who has shown any level of consistency over a period of several years. I don't think any coach out there can get her better results than Frank because I don't think her problems are due to coaching.

Well I don't think her lack of consistency is directly attributable to Frank but I don't see the package jiving well at all. I'm sure it's very complicated and Frank is trying, but I think a lot of people just don't see this as the right fit.

Yeah I don't think a lot of skating fans see her as "performer" but she sure does love skating. I would love to see her just skate for the sake of loving skating and I'm not really seeing it in her programs right now. I see her happy after she lands all her jumps but there's not a lot of heart in it while she's landing those jumps.

Amei

Record Breaker

When I got to watch Carly on a good video feed comparing the 2 sisters (Gracie and Carly) I get the impression that Gracie has the talent for skating but Carly has the heart for it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie needs a Mishin style program. Pure drama starting with the music and all the way down to the movements. Yeah...give me the drama!

Crazy27

Rinkside
Sorry, did not read the whole topic, I will express my opinion in Russia. The short program was good, nothing to discuss, it is necessary to clean roll. But FS? It's terrible and funny at the same time. Remember that time where Gracie crouches briefly push the legs to the side? What was it? Firebird laid an egg? :palmf: And all of this program, I would  carried a has shot of the choreographer and director. AI entire program such clumsy and stupid. Want to see the Firebird? See Pogo in season 2015.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Sorry, did not read the whole topic, I will express my opinion in Russia. The short program was good, nothing to discuss, it is necessary to clean roll. But FS? It's terrible and funny at the same time. Remember that time where Gracie crouches briefly push the legs to the side? What was it? Firebird laid an egg? :palmf: And all of this program, I would  carried a has shot of the choreographer and director. AI entire program such clumsy and stupid. Want to see the Firebird? See Pogo in season 2015.

For me, Machida 2014 was better.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Gracie ever left Frank I'd suggest Brian Orser's camp. He and his team could probably help her elevate her skating the way they did for Yuzu/Javi IMO. It would be a huge move and drastic change though, I think if she were going to leave Frank it would've happened by now.

I wonder if Phillip Mills could help her with learning to emote better. He has a very ballet-style approach to things, but I think he helps skaters connect more to their music.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Phillip Mills could help her with learning to emote better. He has a very ballet-style approach to things, but I think he helps skaters connect more to their music.

Gracie needs to take control of her skating and decide who choreographs her programs. After all she's the one paying the bills. I would love to see Phillip Mills work with Gracie. I think he would open her up on the ice and we'd see a different side of her. But it seems that Frank and Lori are a packaged deal.

Last edited:
I'd like to see what Tarasova could do for Gracie. I have a weird feeling that it could be a really good fit for her, she can be really amazing with teaching emoting IMO. Stylistically it might be the complete opposite of what she usually does lol, but that could be good!

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well I don't think her lack of consistency is directly attributable to Frank but I don't see the package jiving well at all. I'm sure it's very complicated and Frank is trying, but I think a lot of people just don't see this as the right fit.

Gracie is certainly underperforming given her abilities. However, the things that Frank and Lori have actual control over are working. Most of us may not be moved by her programs, but she is getting the highest PCS in the world when clean. She rarely gets dinged for her wrong edge flip, whether its because of politiking or placement of the jump. She appears well trained and rarely looks exhausted at the end of her programs. I don't think we can accurately assess the student/coach relationship based on 30 second clips we see in the K&C. Switching coaches could cause her to lose those positives and she might still struggle with consistency.

moriel

Record Breaker
Gracie is certainly underperforming given her abilities. However, the things that Frank and Lori have actual control over are working. Most of us may not be moved by her programs, but she is getting the highest PCS in the world when clean. She rarely gets dinged for her wrong edge flip, whether its because of politiking or placement of the jump. She appears well trained and rarely looks exhausted at the end of her programs. I don't think we can accurately assess the student/coach relationship based on 30 second clips we see in the K&C. Switching coaches could cause her to lose those positives and she might still struggle with consistency.

My main issue is basically not what Gracie is compared to other skaters, but what she is compared to what she could be =(

LRK

Record Breaker
My main issue is basically not what Gracie is compared to other skaters, but what she is compared to what she could be =(

Agreed. Everyone has their limitations, and their own set of strengths - and if I thought this was as good as Gracie could be, then that would be that. I'm not convinced of that at all, however. I would like to see what another choreographer could do for her. Some choreographers are good matches with some skaters - for example in Lori's case, she and Denis seem to work very well together - some aren't. I'd be curious to see if another choreographer could bring out some... fire in Gracie. Because I've a feeling it's there.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie needs to take control of her skating and decide who choreographs her programs. After all she's the one paying the bills. I would love to see Phillip Mills work with Gracie. I think he would open her up on the ice and we'd see a different side of her. But it seems that Frank and Lori are a packaged deal.

Phillip would be good, and I also wonder about Massimo Scali. I am so impressed with what he has done with Takahito Mura's flamenco SP this year. It definitely has some fire to it. Women flamenco dancers are fiery too, so maybe that would work for her. I can already see her costume in my mind! :drama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOK1tLxSn6Q (flamenco choreographed by Massimo Scali)

Last edited: