Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Skate Canada host picked both V/M and W/P for SC, then there would be no #1-3 seed there. So they would host pick one, but not the other. If they did pick V/M, why wouldn't P/C choose SC as their second event? I don't see a problem there. V/M aren't seeded at all---they are returning skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The top seeds in MEN are Fernandez, Hanyu and Jin. Hanyu will surely be host-picked by NHK and Jin, by CoC,
Fernandez can choose from SA, SC, CoR and TEB for his two events.
Surely SC will host pick #5 Chan, Russia will host pick #4 Kolyada, and SA will host pick #6 Rippon.
Fernandez should have no problem with any of those rivals.

Hanyu would choose his second event from the two Fernandez didn't select.
Jin would get as his second event the one Hanyu didn't choose.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
The top seeds in MEN are Fernandez, Hanyu and Jin. Hanyu will surely be host-picked by NHK and Jin, by CoC,
Fernandez can choose from SA, SC, CoR and TEB for his two events.
Surely SC will host pick #5 Chan, Russia will host pick #4 Kolyada, and SA will host pick #6 Rippon.
Fernandez should have no problem with any of those rivals.

Hanyu would choose his second event from the two Fernandez didn't select.
Jin would get as his second event the one Hanyu didn't choose.

I think Fernandez will choose Skate Canada for sure, it's so close to where he trains so it would be a good opportunity for him because he won't have to deal with flights and timezones.

Perdita

Final Flight
I'm counting on Kolyada to go to TEB instead of COR since for the past two seasons, Russia has sent their highest finishing single skater at World to TEB not COR (Max and Liza this season, Max and Julia last season.) And most importantly, I'm planning to go to TEB next season (it'll be my first time ever experience to watch FS live!) and I desparately wanna see Mikhail there! :hap85: But I'll be happy enough to see P/C :)

adelia

Record Breaker
I'm counting on Kolyada to go to TEB instead of COR since for the past two seasons, Russia has sent their highest finishing single skater at World to TEB not COR (Max and Liza this season, Max and Julia last season.) And most importantly, I'm planning to go to TEB next season (it'll be my first time ever experience to watch FS live!) and I desparately wanna see Mikhail there! :hap85: But I'll be happy enough to see P/C :)
That has nothing to do with rank. Liza wanted CoC and NHK last season but could not get NHK because Satoko was already there. She does not like skating at CoR so she had to settle for SC and TEB. Kovtun dislikes skating at CoR too so he chooses TEB and NHK as that's the latest possible start to the GP season for him. He spends part of the summer in Turkey with his girlfriend so generally he's slow to get into shape for the new season.

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
That has nothing to do with rank. Liza wanted CoC and NHK last season but could not get NHK because Satoko was already there. She does not like skating at CoR so she had to settle for SC and TEB. Kovtun dislikes skating at CoR too so he chooses TEB and NHK as that's the latest possible start to the GP season for him. He spends part of the summer in Turkey with his girlfriend so generally he's slow to get into shape for the new season.

Thanks for the information as usual adelia. I'm surprised that was their choices... wonder how come they dislike to skate in front of the home crowd :scratch2:

adelia

Record Breaker
Thanks for the information as usual adelia. I'm surprised that was their choices... wonder how come they dislike to skate in front of the home crowd :scratch2:
Pressure.

I don't think Liza will skate at CoR next season either, unless she really has no choice.

Perdita

Final Flight
Pressure.

I don't think Liza will skate at CoR next season either, unless she really has no choice.

Ah I see. I guess it's a good thing that the Russian fed respect their preferences as opposed to Japanese skaters who I don't think have a choice of not skating at NHK if the fed wants them to.

I would love to see Liza at TEB!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they would put virtue moir and weaver poje at skate canada.

That wouldn't stop P/C from choosing S/C because V/M aren't a seeded couple. However, I can see that many other dance teams who might want to move up in the world order would be none too thrilled with an SC invite---no shot at a podium there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza didn't want CoR last year because she knew Sotnikova was coming back and would skate at CoR, and that the new Junior wunderkind Medvedeva would be there, too.

adelia

Record Breaker
Liza didn't want CoR last year because she knew Sotnikova was coming back and would skate at CoR, and that the new Junior wunderkind Medvedeva would be there, too.
Nice try but that's not true. She signed up for Golden Spin even after knowing that Adelina would be skating there too.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Nice try but that's not true. She signed up for Golden Spin even after knowing that Adelina would be skating there too.

I don't have any opinion on why Liza did or didn't do CoR or if she even had any opinion on the matter but competing against someone n the GP is not the same as competing against them at a random B. At a GP it is essential to try to maximize your chances of qualifying fr the final, so to the extent that you can, you of course don't want to compete against people who will likely finish higher than you. I don't think it's a insult to any skater to say they wouldn't want to do this- no skater in their right mind would want to do this.

adelia

Record Breaker
I don't have any opinion on why Liza did or didn't do CoR or if she even had any opinion on the matter but competing against someone n the GP is not the same as competing against them at a random B. At a GP it is essential to try to maximize your chances of qualifying fr the final, so to the extent that you can, you of course don't want to compete against people who will likely finish higher than you. I don't think it's a insult to any skater to say they wouldn't want to do this- no skater in their right mind would want to do this.
In 2014-15 she skated in the same events as Lipnitskaya and Radionova, both of whom were expected to beat her and one did. How much of a choice did she have in this? I don't know since I did not look into her interviews from that season but last year it was mentioned that after she could not get CoC and NHK, they favoured SC and TEB because she has good memories from skating there.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ladies Analysis

72 spots are available.

Ladies Guaranteed 2 spots because of their Worlds Placement
-24 spots taken, 2 each to each of the top ladies

1. Evgenia Medvedeva (RUS)
2. Ashley Wagner (USA)
3. Anna Pogorylia (RUS)
4. Gracie Gold (USA)
5. Satoko Miyahara (JPN)
6. Elena Radionova (RUS)
7. Mao Asada (JPN)
8. Rika Hongo (JPN)
9. Gabrielle Daleman (CAN)
10. Mirai Nagasu (USA)
11. Zijun Li (CHN)
12. Eilzabet Tursynbaeva (KAZ)

Ladies Guaranteed 1 spot because of their place on the Seasons Best List:
-5 ladies, all of whom will definitely get 2 spots despite only being guaranteed 1, so 10 spots will actually be taken by them
-Several other ladies would be guaranteed 1 but are still junior eligible and to my current knowledge either must stay in juniors due to age or have not said they will move to seniors officially. Please let me know if I am missing anyone who has definitely said they intend to move to Seniors.

13. Adelina Sotnikova (RUS) (7th SB list, will get 2)
14. Elizaveta Tuktamysehva (RUS) (8th SB list, will get 2)
15. Polina Edmunds (USA) (21st SB list, will get 2)
16. Courtney Hicks (USA) (22nd SB list, will get 2)
17. Katelyn Osmond (CAN) (24 SB list, will get 2)

Ladies Guaranteed 1 Spot because of their spot on the World overall Standings List
-8 ladies, but at least 12 spots will probably be taken if you account for who will probably also get 2 based on being over 30 on SB list or other factors

18. Julia Lipnitskaiya (RUS) (will probably get 2 although only 38 on SB list)
19. Kanako Murakami (JPN) (will probably get 2)
20. Angelina Kuchvalska (LAT) (will get 2, 28th on SB list)
21. Roberta Rodeghiero (ITA)
22. Alena Leonova (RUS)
23. Serafima Sakhanovich (RUS) (will get 2, 29th SB list)
24. Nicole Rajicova (SVK)
25. Alaine Chartrand (CAN)

This still leaves 26 spots which will be filled according to who is next on the Season's best list so the following skaters are also very likely to get at least 1 spot if not 2; some of the others above may in fact get 2 as well:

26. So Youn Park (KOR) (26 SB list)
27. Maria Artimieva (RUS) (27 SB list)
28. Karen Chen (USA) (31 SB list)
29. Da Bin Choi (KOR) (33 SB list)
30. Yuka Nagai (JPN) (37 SB list)
31. Tyler Pierce (USA) (39 SB list)
32. Na Hyun Kim (KOR) (42 SB list)
33. Angela Wang (USA) (43 SB list)

Federations may try to get or give these skaters a spot using host picks or other politiking methods

34. Mae Berniece Meite (FRA)
35. Lauring Lacaviller (FRA) (but it's probably either or between her and Mae which is too bad)
36. Mariah Bell

If anyone sees any mistakes just shout. I'm happy to edit/correct/adjust. I'll do pairs later today or tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^You forgot about Sotskova who will definitely be senior next year. She will displace one of the Russians above (probably Serafima or Maria A.) as Russia is only allowed a max of 9 ladies.

Perdita

Final Flight
And Wakaba's moving up to senior as well. If I remember the rule correctly, Wakaba and Masha are guaranteed a spot because of their podium finish at JW and will definitely get 2 spots anyway.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Men analysis:

We have 72 spots, and here's who could get them.

Top 12 at Worlds get 2, so that's 24 slots:

1. Fernandez
2. Hanyu
3. Jin
4. Kolyada
5. Chan
6. Rippon
7. Uno
8. Aaron
9. Brezina
10. Hochstein
11. Ten
12. Rhigini

Top 24 SB List:

7. Yan (also 18 WS, will probably get 2)
8. Mura (also 9 WS, will probably get 2)
12. Murakami (also 17 WS, will probably get 2)
13. Pitkeev (also 21 WS, will probably get 2)
14. Miner (also 29 WS, still will probably get 2. Unless he's retiring, which he probably isn't.)
15. Dmitrev (also 62 WS, probably will get 1 unless he gets a host pick.)
16. Voronov (also 4 WS, will probably get 2. Unless he's retiring, which he probably isn't.)
17. Bychenko (also 22 WS, will probably get 2)
18. Balde (also 49 WS, probably will get 1 unless he gets a host pick.)
19. Kovtun (also 6 WS, will probably get 2)
21. Brown (also 7 WS, will probably get 2)
22. Nguyen (also 14 WS, will probably get 2)

Assuming all of these guys get 2 (due to host picks and other things) and none of them retire, that's another 24 slots taken up, leaving us with 24 more to fill.

Top 24 WS List:

15. Ge (also 38 SB, might get 2.)
16. Petrov (also 33 SB, might get 2.)
19. Menshov (also 29 SB, so higher chance of getting 2 than the 2 above him. Unless he's retiring.)
20. Samohin (also 26 SB, probably will get 2)
23. Samarin (also 35 SB, might get 2. Unless he's staying junior.)

Assuming all these guys get 2, that's another 10 slots filled, leaving us with 14 to fill.

The next people on the SB list:

25. Chen (also 37 WS, probably getting 2)
28. Tanaka (also 25 WS, probably getting 2)
30. Hendrix (also 44 WS, might get 2 but lower chance than the 2 above him.)
31. Yamamoto (also 41 WS, probably getting 2 if Japan host-picks him.)
32. Kvitelashvili (also 52 WS, probably getting 1 unless he's a host pick)
34. Aliev (also 35 WS, probably getting 2)
36. Nadeau (also 55 WS, probably getting 1 unless he's a host pick.)
37. Vasiljevs (also 32 WS, probably getting 2 but if all 7 guys above him get 2, he's locked out.)
39. Shulepov (also 107 WS, probably getting 1 but could be locked out.)
40. Gorshkov (also 67 WS, probably getting 1 but could be locked out.)

So, that's that, but I might be over-optimistic about some guys getting 2 slots.

Host picks:

China: He Zhang, or maybe no one?

France: Chafik Besseghier, Kevin Aymoz, might not use the third one?

And that is that.

This was fun. I might do this for pairs if tulosai doesn't. :slink:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
^You forgot about Sotskova who will definitely be senior next year. She will displace one of the Russians above (probably Serafima or Maria A.) as Russia is only allowed a max of 9 ladies.

And Wakaba's moving up to senior as well. If I remember the rule correctly, Wakaba and Masha are guaranteed a spot because of their podium finish at JW and will definitely get 2 spots anyway.

Thanks guys I will make the changes in a little bit!!

Also Russia isn't allowed a max # of ladies per se, but a max number of spots- if all the ladies got 2 spots they could only have 9, but they can have more with some only having 1 spot. With that said if someone is displaced it will be Artimieva- Serafima is guaranteed a spot, Artimieva is not.

Last edited: