Grand Prix 2016-17 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thank you for that response and I agree with you about Joshua. He needs some low pressure events to start the season. He has had some major injuries during his career. In fact, didn't he break his leg a couple of seasons ago.

He did break his ankle at Nationals one year yes.

I confess... i kinda hope he does sectionals... since I am tentatively planning on going to them this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am wondering if part of the delay this season might have to do with wanting to wait for the Congress to get done so they know of any changes. Especially the length changes could affect decisions.

Maybe now that it is over we will get more announcements.

I thought those time changes aren't in effect until 2018...after the Olympics?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I thought those time changes aren't in effect until 2018...after the Olympics?

I know some are and some are not...still the skaters may still have wanted find out more based on what might have been, not necessarily what did happen, which no one could have predicted.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know some are and some are not...still the skaters may still have wanted find out more based on what might have been, not necessarily what did happen, which no one could have predicted.

But the proposals likely had the implementation dates, so I really don't think this is why people have not revealed programs yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eliminating secret judging should go in right away, as it has always been the case for JGP.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be watching "American Ninja Warrior" on TV, studying for GREs, celebrating my 21st b-day, watching tons of YouTube videos, following baseball, exercising, and do more stuff. 18-19 days to go. Dang now that I say that, it feels like it's even longer.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'll be watching "American Ninja Warrior" on TV, studying for GREs, celebrating my 21st b-day, watching tons of YouTube videos, following baseball, exercising, and do more stuff. 18-19 days to go. Dang now that I say that, it feels like it's even longer.

I feel you...I've got a ton of stuff going on too (including outlining/starting my WISA-fictionalization novel and watching tons of gymnastics!), but it still feels like forever. I'm so overexcited about it that I have assignment predictions written up and I'm really excited to see how well I did :laugh:

Random thought: really want Tyler Pierce to get a spot. She probably will at least get the SA host pick, but I don't know. I also want Maria and Wakaba to get two each.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Anyone have any guesses as to which American Lady will get SA?

-Ashley; the World Silver Medalist and currently highest world ranking, but NOT current National Champ
-Gracie; the current National Champ, but not a world medalist and not highest world ranking, but also is highly favored

Going off of the fact that last year Ashley was National Champ but did not get SA because Gracie had a higher placement at worlds/higher world ranking, I'm thinking they'll give it to Ashley. But, Gracie is always favored, so I'm worried they're gonna use the "She's national champ" and send her...

Thoughts??

Last edited:

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Anyone have any guesses as to which American Lady will get SA?

-Ashley; the World Silver Medalist and currently highest world ranking, but NOT current National Champ
-Gracie; the current National Champ, but not a world medalist and not highest world ranking, but also is highly favored

Going off of the fact that last year Ashley was National Champ but did not get SA because Gracie had a higher placement at worlds/higher world ranking, I'm thinking they'll give it to Ashley. But, Gracie is always favored, so I'm worried they're gonna use the "She's national champ" and send her...

Thoughts??

It seems like Gracie is more likely to get SA because she is a local skater, as well as probably being the most popular US ladies skater and therefore a big draw for ticket sales. She was probably considered a local skater last year for Milwaukee as well. Video of Gracie is the first thing you see on the official webpage.

It would be nice if Ashley got the assignment though, as Gracie has gone to SA the last two years.

slider11

Medalist
I'm guessing Gracie will get SA due to her National title and local connections. But I'm not sure this is any favor to Gracie. I suppose she needs to learn how to face the big pressure and perform. If she does well it's a good start that she has to learn to maintain and grow. If she flops it will be a season of catch-up. I hope she finds some kind of inner peace to handle this and pull it together. It will be very interesting what music she chooses.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems like Gracie is more likely to get SA because she is a local skater, as well as probably being the most popular US ladies skater and therefore a big draw for ticket sales. She was probably considered a local skater last year for Milwaukee as well. Video of Gracie is the first thing you see on the official webpage.

It would be nice if Ashley got the assignment though, as Gracie has gone to SA the last two years.

Well since Ashley is in the 1st-3rd place tier from Worlds and Gracie in the 4th-6th place, then is there a small chance that BOTH of them might be there?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Well since Ashley is in the 1st-3rd place tier from Worlds and Gracie in the 4th-6th place, then is there a small chance that BOTH of them might be there?

No? Why would USFSA send their own 1 and 2 to the same GP? Both have the potential to win both of their respective events so it wouldn't make sense to pit them against each other in the GPs because then one would have be below the other which means less qualification points for the GPF.

Gracie will definitely get SA and Ashley will probably get Skate Canada because it's the next closest GP to home.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
well, I hope you're all wrong haha ;)

Ashley deserves SA this time. She was extremely dominant over Gracie last season. They met in competition 5 times and Ashley fair and square beat Gracie 4 of those 5 times. It would be annoying if they send Gracie simply because she's "from Chicago" and the one time she happened to beat Ashley was Nationals.

Ashley placed higher in a competition that means much more, considering they both have multiple National titles. Being the first World Medalist for the U.S. in 10 years should automatically send her to SA, imo. If they send Gracie for any reasons you guys listed, I feel like that would be throwing Ashley under the bus (again). What Ashley did for the U.S. this past season is huge. She deserves recognition and I'll be pissed if they send Gracie because "Oh she's from Chicago" and "She's this years National champ" because last year Ashley was National Champ and that didn't do a thing.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we all need to remember that Ashley may prefer Skate Canada to Skate America. I think it would be more fair to say Ashley deserves first pick of where to go, not that she should automatically go to SA. If she prefers SC, she should get SC.

He deserves the choice/opportunity for SA... but i don't think she should be forced into it or that she is obligated to it. SC has been good to her over the years and I would see nothing wrong with sticking with it.

Rumors are that the Shibs have already said they are at SA... so who knows what that means. It seems national champ and higher at worlds means they get it over the reigning gold medalists from SA.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
No? Why would USFSA send their own 1 and 2 to the same GP? Both have the potential to win both of their respective events so it wouldn't make sense to pit them against each other in the GPs because then one would have be below the other which means less qualification points for the GPF.

Gracie will definitely get SA and Ashley will probably get Skate Canada because it's the next closest GP to home.

"Because the Russians do it" is the reason i have seen.

but really it could lead to more ticket sales/butts in seats to have them both their. There is also some thinking that it drives competition and makes them better in the long run having to fight along the way.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder why Polina has never been given a chance to go to Skate America?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
"Because the Russians do it" is the reason i have seen.

Yes, I heard this comment thrown around by Johnny & Tara with regard to the ladies event at Rostelecom last season. But the Russians didn't do it there. Elizaveta went to two different events, and she was certainly Russia's number one or number two heading into the season. And the top two Russian pairs didn't compete against each other all season prior to Worlds, not even at Nationals. Their top two dance teams were--foolishly, IMO--scheduled to go up against each other at Mordovian Ornament, but that never happened as many of us predicted. I hope Federations are smarter than the average commentator. There is no reason to have your best athletes fighting each other early in the season. There is an entire world out there to do battle with first.