Great exhibition programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Great exhibition programs

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, I knew about both. I love Patrick, but no offense, preferred the line-up in the US version which was skated before the Canadian version that season. ;)
Oh, interesting. I thought it was the other way and the Canadian version was first, but I guess not. I like both versions. I find it difficult to listen to this version of "Sound of Silence," but both trios make it okay, even worth it, to keep listening.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh, interesting. I thought it was the other way and the Canadian version was first, but I guess not. I like both versions. I find it difficult to listen to this version of "Sound of Silence," but both trios make it okay, even worth it, to keep listening.
No, April 15 was the kickoff date of the 2016 US tour. The US skaters learned the brand new choreo for 3-4 days prior to the first show in Hershey, PA. The CSOI tour didn't practice/learn choreo and begin until the end of April. ;)

I'm also opposite opinion on the Disturbed version of "Sound of Silence." I actually like it more and think it's more haunting than the original.

I'm also opposite opinion on the Disturbed version of "Sound of Silence." I actually like it more and think it's more haunting than the original.
I quite agree. The music perfectly complements the performance. Not that there is anything wrong with Simon and Garfunkel!

Here is Takahiko Kozuka (the Jason Brown of Japanese figure skating of that era -- edges, edges, edges) in 2012. Sorry the video is so dark. The choreography is by Yuka Sato :love: who also skated to this music as a pro, I believe, but I can't find any video on You Tube now. :(

Edit: No, wait. :laugh: On second thpught I think I like Simon and Garfunkel's version better. The vocal harmony sweeps all before it (plus Paul Simon's accustical guitar work). :)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can I just say I have a total weakness for the times where the skater is dressed for one program and then adds an encore from a completely different encore (Yuzu has done Let's Go Crazy in the swan costume for instance, which looks unearthly) or the odd time one skater has done a tribute to another by part of a hit program. It just hits my happy buttons.

Last edited:
Taking everything into account, overall I would have to go with Kurt Browning. Here's Singin' in the Rain.

For comparison, here is Gene Kelly's original from the 1952 movie. :)

The secret to their success? Superman ankles!

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
In the spirit of this thread, here is a choreographic gem offered by the iconoclast bad boy of skating Gary Beacom, who won Landover in 1988 (this clip is from a differecnt pro competiton, however) -- he performed this routine some 300 times in shows ansd competitions). Beacom, a Canadian, not only explored off-beat concepts on ice but also vigorously objected to having to pay U.S. taxes on his earnings at American skating events, and in fact went to jail briefly over it.

This is a link to a playlist of Gary Beacom performaces, actually . So thank you very much! Haven't seen him for a while. And, oh! he's so good at being bad :giggle:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
This is a link to a playlist of Gary Beacom performaces, actually . So thank you very much! Haven't seen him for a while. And, oh! he's so good at being bad :giggle:
I am not really interested in watching men skating, but Gary Beacom is one of the exceptions since he looks SO manly/masculine skating, which in my opinion makes him thrilling to watch and I wish more men skated like that.
He's here in Japan (sometimes he's also in Germany), he goes/teaches/films from the rink at Minami Funabashi and I've always meant to schedule a private session with him. I've seen him skate at events in this same rink and watch him live even more exciting than in the video

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Gary's on-ice lessons with his students are also fascinating to watch and show off his mastery of edges.
He is indeed a master of edges and since I love practicing edges, that would be the main theme of our session, plus anything he can advise and criticize my skating for me to improve, since I highly appreciate constructive criticism from my primary coach and technique coach, and woudl love to receive it from Gary. who very kindly has told me let's just schedule it in the past, but my big impostor syndrome prevents me to. I'd hate to waste an Olympian's time, no matter how well I pay 😅

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He is indeed a master of edges and since I love practicing edges, that would be the main theme of our session, plus anything he can advise and criticize my skating for me to improve, since I highly appreciate constructive criticism from my primary coach and technique coach, and woudl love to receive it from Gary. who very kindly has told me let's just schedule it in the past, but my big impostor syndrome prevents me to. I'd hate to waste an Olympian's time, no matter how well I pay 😅
I think you should think of it as growing your knowledge base. Who knows maybe you will repay the universe back later with a future student who learned something from you. Gary gives you a seed, you grow it and germinate other seeds...

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I think you should think of it as growing your knowledge base. Who knows maybe you will repay the universe back later with a future student who learned something from you. Gary gives you a seed, you grow it and germinate other seeds...
Thank you so much for the kind feedback ❤️
My private coach also tells me to just go do it, that coaches love committed skaters who work hard and it's not wasting time.
I think he's still here in Japan, so I just might go to Minami Funabashi in my day off of practice in my home rink and talk to him in person :)

I watched him skate this program there in an event I attended and I was 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he's still here in Japan, so I just might go to Minami Funabashi in my day off of practice in my home rink and talk to him in person :)
I think that would be great. As an adult skater I took lessons from Elena Krykanova, Igor S, and Gorsha Sur when they first defected and needed students and never regretted it. I had watched them at junior worlds and knew it was a golden opportunity that I would always be glad I was brave enough to ask. They of course went on to other students, but I consider the brief time while it lasted to be invaluable.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Michelle's' finest performance. This was the "artistic program" at the 1998 World Pro (pro-am). For the "technical prgram" she gave her best performance of her LP, "Ariane," langing 7 triples -- an unheard of feat in those days for for a pro event.

Unfortunately, this was the beginning of the end for professional and pro-am competitions. The ISU went on a campaign to take over pro skating, and event organizers had no choice but to play along if they wanted the Olympic eligible stars. The next year Dick Button sold the World Pro ("Landover') competition and after a couple of years the new owners threw in the towel altogether. The series had been started (by Button) to showcase the then-recently retired Janet Lynn (Belousova and Protopopov :love: won in pairs). Early winners in ladies were Dorothy Hamill, Debi Thomas, Denise Biellmann, Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito and Yuka Sato. Notable men included Scott Hamilton, Robin Cousins. Brian Boitano and Kurt Browning.

In the spirit of this thread, here is a choreographic gem offered by the iconoclast bad boy of skating Gary Beacom, who won Landover in 1988 (this clip is from a differecnt pro competiton, however) -- he performed this routine some 300 times in shows ansd competitions). Beacom, a Canadian, not only explored off-beat concepts on ice but also vigorously objected to having to pay U.S. taxes on his earnings at American skating events, and in fact went to jail briefly over it.

a good walk through the past....when skating eclipsed Basketball. I still wish during the pro comps they didnt use gala lighting,,,,,,but MK used East of Eden for a number of years....I wonder if she ever saw the epic mini series?

a good walk through the past....when skating eclipsed Basketball. I still wish during the pro comps they didnt use gala lighting,,,,,,but MK used East of Eden for a number of years....I wonder if she ever saw the epic mini series?
Michelle was 7 months old when the mini series aired in 1981, but I guess she has had many opportunities to see tv reruns or video recordings.

She first used this music in the 1995-94 season (age 13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Yu-OUyp1k

The East of Eden theme is the first part of several musical choices that were slplced together for this short program. Michelle's choreographer Lori Nichol was always known for grabbing up pieces of music that no one else had ever tried. The last time Micheel used East of Eden as a short program her LP was the Red Violin. The movie had just been released that year in Canada and no one in the U.S. knew it existed at the time of 2001 Worlds.

Biblical scholars agree that the Land of Nod (Gen 4:16) refers to the U.S. state if Ohio, which islocated east of Detroit, Michigan. :)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It wasn't a program but a priceless exhibition moment anyway: the whole stadium singing "Happy Birthday, Dear Elvis" during WC 2024 exhibition gala in Montreal.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Taking everything into account, overall I would have to go with Kurt Browning. Here's Singin' in the Rain.

For comparison, here is Gene Kelly's original from the 1952 movie. :)

The secret to their success? Superman ankles!
More like soft knees and mastery of the blade and edges.;)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
As a result of the costume discussion that started in WC Men's thread I looked up old videos for the best coated exhibitions and occasionally came across this one.
For those who want to go strait to dessert, the step sequence starts at 2:03