IceNetwork People of the Year 2015-2016 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork People of the Year 2015-2016

Cool list, especially the last two. Medvedeva and Hanyu certainly rocked it last season, but the quad kings are what the sport will be like in the future.

The dance coaching team, especially after adding Virtue and Moir, have already zoomed to the top of the heap.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
ALL of the above have a strong case for being Person/People of the year...but the four young 'Quad Kings' are not at the top of my list though they are adorable and fiercely talented. They are the people of the future.
THIS year belonged to the others listed IMO.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
:giveup: Did I mistaken that the winner is the new quad king based on the tweet or that tweet is actually icenetwork nominee to the list :scratch2:? And the winner is actually not decided yet.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:giveup: Did I mistaken that the winner is the new quad king based on the tweet or that tweet is actually icenetwork nominee to the list :scratch2:? And the winner is actually not decided yet.

I think from the tweet they are the winners. From the comments people aren't too happy about it. I suppose from a "moving the sport forward" perspective they win, but from a storytelling perspective, not so much.

I think all of the nominees deserved to win. I especially liked the article about the Boston LOC and how great the crowds were. I am so glad I decided to attend this year - definitely a highlight so far of 2016.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, Med and Shibs of the people on that list. However, where are the Pairs? Shouldn't Meagan and Eric be on that list?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How on earth did Rippon get a nomination with that list?

That said, if there was any justice the winner would have been Hanyu or Medvedeva (preferably Medvedeva because she was unstoppable the whole season, not just in patches). Instead we get a weak, sloppy article about "new quad kings" that completely discounts the skaters who have been doing multiple-quad free skates for years (and often getting a lot of flack for it).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How on earth did Rippon get a nomination with that list?

That said, if there was any justice the winner would have been Hanyu or Medvedeva (preferably Medvedeva because she was unstoppable the whole season, not just in patches). Instead we get a weak, sloppy article about "new quad kings" that completely discounts the skaters who have been doing multiple-quad free skates for years (and often getting a lot of flack for it).

for delivering at home worlds ? he even landed (of course UR) his 4Lz for the first time ....

it could also be for coming out etc... it's good for the sport to open up to its own reality

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
for delivering at home worlds ? he even landed (of course UR) his 4Lz for the first time ....

it could also be for coming out etc... it's good for the sport to open up to its own reality

Yeah, but what'd he do for the rest of the season? He didn't get any GP medals, didn't win any Senior Bs, was gifted a National title he didn't deserve, and skipped 4CCs. Are we saying one pair of decent performances (and no, he DIDN'T "land" the 4Lz at Worlds, it was << and called <) and a coming out is enough to be a "person of the year"?

In the same year that Medvedeva came up from Juniors and won everything while being amazingly, incredibly consistent? In the same year that Hanyu smashed up the world records twice? In the same year that the Shibutanis won a Grand Prix, their first National title, Four Continents, and a World silver? His nomination doesn't fit.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it would have been cool if "The Quad" was the winner.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, but what'd he do for the rest of the season? He didn't get any GP medals, didn't win any Senior Bs, was gifted a National title he didn't deserve, and skipped 4CCs. Are we saying one pair of decent performances (and no, he DIDN'T "land" the 4Lz at Worlds, it was << and called <) and a coming out is enough to be a "person of the year"?

In the same year that Medvedeva came up from Juniors and won everything while being amazingly, incredibly consistent? In the same year that Hanyu smashed up the world records twice? In the same year that the Shibutanis won a Grand Prix, their first National title, Four Continents, and a World silver? His nomination doesn't fit.

as mentioned, the list is US centric.

I don't think Adam should be there instead of Javi for instance.... but Adam ended up as the highest ranked American in truly two great performances for him. He also won US Nationals, despite your comment about judging.... those achievements this year, put him at the top of the American men list. At the end of the year, nobody cares if someone doesn't attend 4CC (Hanyu didn't....) or doesn't win Series B... (not sure why you think that's important)... For the Grand Prix, unless you win the final, it's no big deal... many skaters have done incredibly well at one GP over the years... it's not like it's the end of the world.... At the end of the year, nobody cares if some feel that judging wasn't optimal.. what will go down in the history books is that Adam won US Nationals and placed above any other men at HOME WORLDS...

The coming out, I didn't mention it because i think it's a big deal but the media made it a big deal, which means that Adam received a lot of publicity... Honestly, I know you are a Max Aaron fan, but if the season started his way, it went Adam's way at the end.