Iconic moments from 2016 Worlds | Golden Skate

Iconic moments from 2016 Worlds

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Finally all is done!!! What do you think is the best moment? Let's relive them!!!

Yuzuru giving a phenomenal SP again

Javier defended his title (So do Papadakis/Cizeron, Duhamel/Radford, except...)

The American men did really well in front of their home crowd

The American ladies too made the home crowd happy!!! Especially Ashely - Worlds silver medalist!!!!!

The Shibsibs finally get recognzied and won Silver in front of home crowd!

Sui/Han nailed their fiery SP

The consistent ones still played with their consistencies

Rika MURDERED both her programs - especially in the FS where the audience went total NUTS

Mao proves to the others she is still the Boss and she CAN still do it!!!

NO FALL from Anna!! HOLY COW!!!!

And probably the best moment of all - Evgenia's WR! Yes I know not every one agrees with the score, like I don't, but I am sure this is a big moment in her life. Hope she keeps improving.

Last but not least, I would like to send my support to Shoma. There isn't a champion that has not shed a tear or has no regretful moment before they become one (well you are one but lets talk about in the senior field). The key is to keep going!!! At the end all the tears and handwork will pay off. Ganbatte!!!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
The audience in Boston!! So nice to see this level of enthusiasm outside Japan! Let's face it. We need the Americans and their buzz to make figure skating relevant again.

Chock & Bates, Papadakis & Cizeron, and the Shibutanis reminding me how exciting and beautiful Ice Dance is!

Javi proving that you can be a nice humble guy and still become a two-time World Champion!

Max and Adam pulling it off in the home country. And their bromance!

The final 2 groups of Ladies SP & LP. The best ever! (Mirai's comeback, Anna's fabulousness...)

Ashley performing under pressure and ending the draught. Congrats USA!

Mao showing once again what a legend she is. She is a treasure.

Oh, and an Australian TV network showing skating... LIVE... Never say never!!!!!!!

What an exciting weekend. Thank you Boston!!

Sam L

Medalist
Oh, and an Australian TV network showing skating... LIVE... Never say never!!!!!!!

THIS! Haha. I remember we did used to get some Grand Prix events and stuff years ago but it was never live from what I remember. Yeah, never say never. :D

nipman

On the Ice
The final group of ladies FS. Period. I've never seen such an intense competition in any World Championship. Honestly, from now on, with the russian wonderbabies, every top skaters will have to perform the skate of their life in order to step on the world podium.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
This was a monumental and iconic world championships. The way in which it panned out gives me much hope that figure skating's popularity and relevance in North America can slowly grow again.

bramweld

Record Breaker
This was a monumental and iconic world championships. The way in which it panned out gives me much hope that figure skating's popularity and relevance in North America can slowly grow again.

Ashley Wagner's LP (SP wasn't bad either).:yes2:
Sui and Han SP:yes2:
Deniss Vasiliev SP :hap93:

gabriellawg

Spectator
The final group of ladies FS. Period. I've never seen such an intense competition in any World Championship. Honestly, from now on, with the russian wonderbabies, every top skaters will have to perform the skate of their life in order to step on the world podium.

The entire ladies event was incredible, I don't think I've seen anything like it. At some point during the penultimate group of the SP it felt like I entered some kind of bizarre alternate reality. Top 8 Ladies after the short were clean, with the top 6 scoring 70+ (only one person, Tuktamysheva, did this last year). Top 7 ladies scoring 200+, which again, only Tuktamysheva did last year. Satoko's score 210.61 put her in fifth when it would have been 1st last year. Gabrielle Daleman's score, 195.68, put her in 9th when it would have been 2nd last year.

I'm so happy for Ashley, I've been rooting for her since she came on my radar in 2012, she said at the beginning of the season that it was now or never for her and that if she was going to do something, it would have to be this year. I'm also thrilled for Anna, who placed ahead of clean Evgenia and Elena in the SP (nothing against them) and took the bronze after being treated like a joke all season, especially since it was looking like she might be off the world team after Euros. I think she proved a lot of people wrong and showed she's not just "that other Russian girl"

dreamsk8

On the Ice
For me the best moment will be Ashley winning the silver first US Woman to stand on the podium in the 10 years!!! Way to GO ASHLEY :cheer::hap10:
As she so clearly deserved it she was cool calm and determined, she performed her program I think the best she has ever done it.
Also love the Shibsibs I have been rooting for them since they broke on the scene. I knew they could be and are a top competitor :clapper:

RABID

Final Flight
For me it has to be Ashley and I'm not a fan. The competition was in the States and she was going to have the crowd with her and all she had to do was skate two PERFECT programs. Well, what do you know....
What was a joy to see was Pog in her full glory and Evgenia put an official stamp to her dominance. I wonder if Yuzuru is going to be that type of skater like Yuna was where at the end of the day we'll ask ourselves, she ONLY won that many Worlds? My disgust is not with the high end of the scoring but rather with the low end of it. SOME of the low marks found in the earlier groups are just plain insulting.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
This was the best competition I remember!!! So many great moments:

Yuzuru's SP
Javi's FP...and we have a winner of the men's event who skated very difficult program and managed to show us a clean FP!!!
First three dance teams
Amazing ladies event and big satisfaction for Anna and Ashley
Aliona and Bruno with a medal at their first Worlds

Absolutely best moment was Ashley winning a medal!!!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
For me one iconic performance (watched 8 times already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGHeK1V2rU

I love the SP too...
Just breath taking...

That and 6 years return of Mirai's demon.
People say lyric should be banned, but these 2 performances shows they can work and take the sport beyond, and be transcendental.

Ladies event: Zijun's SP. Ashley's LP, Anna's SP after Gracie blew the roof off.
Javier's LP.

And finally... everything about COP judging, proves nothing changed from 6.0. Judges will reward who they want to win, skating are secondary. Anonimity must go. Transparency, accountability, and ability to challenge and review score should be more encouraged.

Last edited:

Violetti

On the Ice
Ashley winning a medal! Happiest moment during this competition. :clap: Even though I loved more her programs in previous years.
Gracie winning SP!
Evgenia's LP, the music and choreography suit so well for her. Interesting to see how she will skate next year.
Ladies SP was so intense. During LP I stayed up from 2 am. to 6 am. I though to wake at 4 am. But I woke at 2 am and of course could not sleep again, but it was a little hard to stay up at that time. I was not sleepy but the feelings were not the same as during SP.
And of course Finnish skaters to get to FD and LP and Viveca skating so well (not the best of her but well enough) in the free, she was 16th in free skating.

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
All of the title defenses, Yuzu's SP, American men during the FS, Mika's debut, the resurgence of the Shibs, S/H's SP, and how ridiculously awesome the ladies' event was in general. :cheer:

Layback11

Record Breaker
-The whole ladies event...
-The Shibs finally getting properly recognized (highlight of the whole season, really!)
-Sui/Han's SP
-Gracie's SP
-Yuzuu's SP
-Most of team USA except the pairs bringing it at hometown worlds! :Rock:
-S/M's twist :jaw:
-Rika's FS
-Mao's FS
-Getting to be there to see it all! :cheer:

waterblades

On the Ice
I agree with many of these posts and I want to add for me all three Canadian Pairs getting PB and Gabi Daleman getting a PB too. I'm sure other competitors achieved PB too so they are on my list.

thoakun

Final Flight
Agree with many of those moments and I want to add my 2 cents:
- Mao and Zhenya giggling and chatting up in the green room in their special language. Pure class.
- The way Zhenya celebrated her victory is humble and gracious. She also scored some bonus points with the Japanese media by proclaiming her geeky love of Sailor Moon. She'd certainly get a lot of shows in Japan.
- I've always thought that Anna has good SS, but today it dawned on me that she's such a footwork monster and have that special something about her.
- Ashley's interview is always hoot. I've also realized that Ashley is probably more popular outside the US, at least from watch the Russian and Japanese stream.

moriel

Record Breaker
well my list:
1. P/C and everything they did
2. Hanyu's SP
3. Kolyada =)
4. American men on FS
5. Javi taking his second worlds gold.
6. Last two FS groups for ladies were just one big awesome moment, except for Gracie's meltdown

whatif

Medalist
The most competitive Worlds EVER???!!!! I mean, every winner is absolutely unquestionable. Any other year, top 5 finishers here would be in Gold contention based on scores and the level of skating.

Florencito

Medalist
1) Javier's whole LP

2) Sui/Han's tano twist

3) Deniss Vasiljevs' SP

Special mention to Aaron running to hug Rippon and Arutyunyan.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are mine in no particular order...

Zijun'a SP
Mirai everything
Last two ladies groups, so many standing O's!
Ashley!
Amy Lin's SP

All three US guys skating great programs
Javi winning again with a perfect skate!
Yuzu's SP
Kolyada's FS

Shibs winning silver, loved seeing in person
Madi & Zach FD
P/C, SUBLIME

D/R FS