ISU Announces 2024-25 Grand Prix locations | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU Announces 2024-25 Grand Prix locations

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The Hampton is the most conveniently-located for SCI. That's where I stay whenever I go to Stars on Ice in Halifax.
Heh, great minds. Yup, and it has free cancellation, which is not true of all hotels around the locale. Booked there yesterday 😀 we'll make a final call once they announce the composition and SkAm location, but tbh, I don't expect Malinin in Canada anyway, and by now I think I saw everyone on my 'have to!' list anyway, so it’s all the same to me. Mom is a different matter. Obviously, if by some unexpected miracle they will let Russians back in, it changes everything because I saw so few of them live and it will be a consideration. If that doesn't happen, it's just the city/convenience. Halifax is really pretty, though not cheap and the flight is long.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Heh, great minds. Yup, and it has free cancellation, which is not true of all hotels around the locale. Booked there yesterday 😀 we'll make a final call once they announce the composition and SkAm location, but tbh, I don't expect Malinin in Canada anyway, and by now I think I saw everyone on my 'have to!' list anyway, so it’s all the same to me. Mom is a different matter. Obviously, if by some unexpected miracle they will let Russians back in, it changes everything because I saw so few of them live and it will be a consideration. If that doesn't happen, it's just the city/convenience. Halifax is really pretty, though not cheap and the flight is long.
Halifax is indeed very very pretty. If they allowed the Russians back in, it would be slim pickings because they would probably have to make a quota rule : they wouldn't deny those who already earned their GP spots with worlds placement and world rankings... So, I wouldn't count on that if I were you. It wouldn't be 2-3 Russian entries in every discipline like it may have been in the past years.

I think that things will start to change after the Paris games one way or another (more open vs definitely closed) by then, assignments will already be made.

For your mom, it's an incredibly long flight indeed. Unless of a miracle, I will focus on Nationals this year but I am tempted by Halifax. It's a very very nice place to visit though a bit small for my taste.

Re Malinin : He will be at SKAM for sure. He gets first pick and I doubt USFED would let him pick otherwise anyway. I have seen him at two events already. I know you and I are very different but I'd prefer seeing other skaters I have never seen.. but who is that ? Conrad LOL !!! And he is probably not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Halifax is indeed very very pretty. If they allowed the Russians back in, it would be slim pickings because they would probably have to make a quote rule : they wouldn't deny those who already earned their GP spots with worlds placement and world rankings... So, I wouldn't count on that if I were you. It wouldn't be 2-3 Russian entries in every discipline like it may have been in the past years.

I think that things will start to change after the Paris games one way or another (more open vs definitely closed) by then, assignments will already be made.

For your mom, it's an incredibly long flight indeed. Unless of a miracle, I will focus on Nationals this year but I am tempted by Halifax. It's a very very nice place to visit though a bit small for my taste.

Re Malinin : He will be at SKAM for sure. He gets first pick and I doubt USFED would let him pick otherwise anyway. I have seen him at two events already. I know you and I are very different but I'd prefer seeing other skaters I have never seen.. but who is that ? Conrad LOL !!! And he is probably not going anywhere.
Ilia will get Skate America, Yuma Japan, Adam France. Ilia gets next pick my guess Finland, Yuma will pick Canada, Adam gets China.

And I hope Conrad gets Skate Canada.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anybody who went to Skate America last year, did you stay at the Hampton Inn on Stacy Rd? It shows it's a 15 minute walk from the venue. Looks farther than that, and it's hard to tell whether it's walker "friendly".

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Anybody who went to Skate America last year, did you stay at the Hampton Inn on Stacy Rd? It shows it's a 15 minute walk from the venue. Looks farther than that, and it's hard to tell whether it's walker "friendly".
Everything other than the Courtyard—which has been blocked out—requires you to cross at least one multi-lane highway on foot. (There are crosswalks, though, at least where I was.)
The fact that the Courtyard has been made unavailable tips the scales towards not going for me.
Now—for fans who have a car, you can stay anywhere, as there is a large, free parking garage right across from the rink.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everything other than the Courtyard—which has been blocked out—requires you to cross at least one multi-lane highway on foot. (There are crosswalks, though, at least where I was.)
The fact that the Courtyard has been made unavailable tips the scales towards not going for me.
Now—for fans who have a car, you can stay anywhere, as there is a large, free parking garage right across from the rink.
Lovely on knowing that....I'll let my husband know on that part. We already booked our hotel room. We tried the Courtyard as well. And was completely sold out.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe I might see you lol.
Yes, I tried Courtyard pretty quickly and found it was sold out. It seems like the Hampton would be ok, and when I have stayed at Hamptons in the past, they have a pretty decent freebie buffet breakfast. We'll see. A lot of things will have to fall into place for me to go.

Thx for your input @Seven Sisters regarding the Hampton. If you don't mind me asking, did you stay there last year, or were you at another hotel?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We were supposed to stay at the venue but Booking com screwed us (and like 50 other people) out of our reservation, so we moved beyond the mall. The hotel had like everything (kitchenettes are super-important for Mom who refuses to eat out), and the walk was fine. There is a road to cross, but it has regulated intersection and the weather was ridiculously warm for the time of year. It was like going to the tropics. The mall area is pretty nice. We actually enjoyed our walks.

Edit: It was Home2Suites by Hiltons

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ilia will get Skate America, Yuma Japan, Adam France. Ilia gets next pick my guess Finland, Yuma will pick Canada, Adam gets China.

And I hope Conrad gets Skate Canada.
Wouldn't mind Yuma, since we only saw him once so far. I don't really like Orzel, but if Shteyngart makes it as a home pick, I would be pleased. He impressed me last year in the Nats and iirc he is no longer junior eligible?

Edit: I think Mom would want to go to Allen, since it's convenient and Malinin will be there 100%.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wouldn't mind Yuma, since we only saw him once so far. I don't really like Orzel, but if Shteyngart makes it as a home pick, I would be pleased. He impressed me last year in the Nats and iirc he is no longer junior eligible?

Edit: I think Mom would want to go to Allen, since it's convenient and Malinin will be there 100%.
David doesn't have the requirements for Skate Canada. I wouldn't count on that. There are many more guys with a higher chance of getting that host pick, Wesley, Roman, Conrad, Matthew, Aleksa and Gogo if healthy are all ahead.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
if Shteyngart makes it as a home pick, I would be pleased. He impressed me last year in the Nats and iirc he is no longer junior eligible?
He has one last season of junior eligibility. JGP would be the better idea for him. He's made two attempts at a 3A in domestic competition and both were <<, with one having a fall. He'll have a hard time getting a senior international without it.