Julia Antipova seriously ill | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Julia Antipova seriously ill

tulosai

Record Breaker
Dmitriev replies: http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20150220/808781350.html
He says he is partly to blame, since he couldn't stop it from progressing. He also says that for the past year and a half he talked to Yulia's parents at least twice a week and they've always said they know better. When asked about her condition, they were saying that she's just tired and she's fine. So everyone involved keeps blaming each other I guess.

I dunno, I get less the feeling here that he is trying to blame them and more that he is (understandably) trying to clearly defend himself and explain what steps he was trying to take to 'fix' the problem, which is natural given Julia's words about him earlier this week. I don't see why, if true, he should not be free to tell the world yes, he saw the problem and for a year he called her parents every week twice a week to try to figure out what was going on.

LRK

Record Breaker
I dunno, I get less the feeling here that he is trying to blame them and more that he is (understandably) trying to clearly defend himself and explain what steps he was trying to take to 'fix' the problem, which is natural given Julia's words about him earlier this week. I don't see why, if true, he should not be free to tell the world yes, he saw the problem and for a year he called her parents every week twice a week to try to figure out what was going on.

Especially since it was he and the doctor who ultimately put a stop to the training - even if, as he acknowledges, he should have done so earlier. I think it is also more believable to me as he isn't trying to shirk all the blame - and says he has been reading up on the subject since.

Have her parents admitted to any of the responsiblity? (Genuine question - I don't know so that's why I'm asking.)

ETA - And he ended by saying kind words about Julia - not just (obviously) wishing her well, but about her as a person:

"I am very sorry that it all happened, I am also very worried, and I wish Julia recovery. It is excellent girl, very positive, it was really great to work "

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Especially since it was he and the doctor who ultimately put a stop to the training - even if, as he acknowledges, he should have done so earlier. I think it is also more believable to me as he isn't trying to shirk all the blame - and says he has been reading up on the subject since.

Have her parents admitted to any of the responsiblity? (Genuine question - I don't know so that's why I'm asking.)

Agree, he certanly oesn´t look like he wants to wash his hands of the trouble.

And I have always wondered how everybody involve let it go so far, that little girl was just bones by the time she was hospitalized.

Noolan

On the Ice
I don't see why, if true, he should not be free to tell the world yes, he saw the problem and for a year he called her parents every week twice a week to try to figure out what was going on.
Oh I agree, I didn't mean he's wrong to do so.

No, but I guess it's much harder for them. That would be admitting they're partially responsible for putting their daughters life in danger. Not an easy thing to admit, even to yourself.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh I agree, I didn't mean he's wrong to do so.

No, but I guess it's much harder for them. That would be admitting they're partially responsible for putting their daughters life in danger. Not an easy thing to admit, even to yourself.

I suppose you are right... I was just thinking that, if I had been a parent, and it had happened to my daughter... I would never have been able to forgive myself. But then, I tend to be quite harsh on myself for far lesser things, so it comes down to personality, no doubt. But yes, they are probably in denial. Which they seem to have been all along, so it follows.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist

I put it to Google translator, so I can't understand everything perfectly but I just need to say: Julia had 46 pounds...I don't think that means heavy, even in the pairs skating it doesn't mean the girl is heavy when she has 46 pounds. I'm sure that for example Kirsten MT, or Meagan Duhamel, Alexa Scimeca, Haven Denney, also Tatiana Volosozhar have around 45-50 pounds and it's ok for their partners.

EDIT: I meant kilograms of course.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
46 pounds is like 20 kg, scary thin.

A set of combined factors probably caused this. Antipova seems a success-driven girl, which could just be her natural born character, or it could be that it came from her family environment (parents keep sacrificing to finance for her, or parents regarding her skating success of pivotal importance etc.). Pavlova isn't known for "positive coaching", but thrives at negative motivation drills, which might be cruel, but are very effective to achieve short term goals (myself coming from a negative motivation driven culture knows this fact very well.) Lubov with Lubov's bubbly character probably hated it to the bones and just wanted out. Antipova with Antipova's character drives herself crazy. By the time the craze strikes, it's already a chronic disease. It's nobody and everybody's fault.

Tanka

On the Ice
46 pounds is like 20 kg, scary thin.

There were kilograms in the article. As far as I understand Yulia's weight was 39 kg (people say she was 147 sm at that time).
All the other girls mentioned by Sophie-Anna cannot weigh 45-50 pounds as well, I think she just typed the wrong word.

Noolan

On the Ice
So Pavlova basically blames the parents. According to the her, Julia's dad "thinks too much of himself" and considers himself to be the most important coach for Julia. She says she first started talking to Julia's parent about excessive weight when Julia was gaining 2 kilos a week and gotten to 46 kilos (she thought 39 was perfect, that's what her weight was before). Pavlova said they were in the process of learning new throws and jumps at that moment, so gaining weight and messing up Julia's coordination was "at least very dangerous", she says it's not about Nodari and he never had a problem lifting and throwing Julia. She told her parents they need to get a dietologist involved, but they ignored her. She doesn't talk much about how Julia was losing weight, just says that before the Worlds last year she hugged Julia and felt her bones sticking out, she says "how could her parents not notice it, I just don't understand".

LisaM

Medalist
It feels to me like everyone is blaming the other an awful lot, but no one is taking responsibility for their own part in it. I can excuse Julia herself because such an illness does awful things to your mind, but her parents AND her coach AND Nodari should not be excused.

MalAssada

Medalist
My take on things:

Blame the coach, for the "psychology" that made Julia lose weight.
Blame the partner, for complaining that such a tiny girl was hurting his back.
Blame the parents, for not noticing earlier and doing something about it before it was life threatening.

There isn't a single person to blame :no:

Noolan

On the Ice
AND Nodari should not be excused.
We don't know how involved their relationship was, they were a relatively new pair. You can't really blame an athlete for doing what his coach says. I think he didn't really know something weird was up before it was too late, he just trusted his coach.

LisaM

Medalist
We don't know how involved their relationship was, they were a relatively new pair. You can't really blame an athlete for doing what his coach says. I think he didn't really know something weird was up before it was too late, he just trusted his coach.

If that is indeed the case, he is not very intelligent at all. Anyone else would have at least raised an eyebrow, especially when it is not the first time something like that is happening to your partner.

hanca

Record Breaker

If you skate with someone for 2 years, day after day, six times a week, he is definitely not a new partner. And the excuse that you can't blame an athlete for doing what his coach says, I am sorry but that's rubbish. If Pavlova told him to kill her, would he obey or would he use his own brain for a change? He really didn't know what was going on? This is second girl who skates with him who is suffering from anorexia. Skating involves a lot of physical contact, touching, lifting etc and even if she tried to cover it by baggy clothes, he should be the first one to notice that under her clothes are just bones and nothing else. If she weighed at the beginning around 38-42 kilos, according to Pavlova at some stage even 46, and suddenly she is just 25, he surely must have noticed that she lost nearly half of her body weight! Unless he was quiet because it was making his job easier... Nodari is an adult man. He has past experience with a partner suffering from anorexia. So he should be one of those who take some part of the responsibility.

Last edited:

Danja

Rinkside
Has anyone ever said in an interview so far that Nodari complained that Yulia`s weight was a problem for him? That her weight was hurting his back or something like that? Yulia said that he took their coach`s side, that he supported Pavlova, but she didn`t say that he pushed her to lose weight because it was difficult for him to work with her. On the contrary, she says that Nodari is a strong reliable partner. Pavlova states completely the same. She says that Yulia`s weight wasn`t a problem for Nodari at all, that he was strong enough to cope with it, but that it was problem for Yulia herself, because it was dangerous to make throws with gained weight.
I don`t want to say that Nodari is saint, but it seems to me that it`s not him who caused this situation. Maybe he should have reported earlier that something is going wrong with the girl, yes, but still, there are rumours that it`s his good acquaintences who brought this story to public.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Pavlova's interview makes her sound delusional. While I do understand that if Julia was TRULY gaining 2 kg a week that needed to be stopped/slowed, to think 39 Kg is an 'ideal' weight for ANY adult woman especially one who is 5' 2" is wholly delusional. If Julia was 4'10" it would probably still be delusional but at least slightly less so. It is quite obvious Pavlova is in denial that all women go through puberty and are not going to weigh 39 kg when it was over. While I do agree with her it is a mystery that her parents had no clue what was happening, by that same reasoning it is a mystery that Pavlova had no clue what was happening. As for the danger during throws has Pavlova honestly never worked with someone going through puberty before? Give me a break.

Last edited: