Kim Yu-na takes part in coaching workshop | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na takes part in coaching workshop

cooper

Medalist
I didn't know that you can get a coaching qualification that fast.

yeah.. the title of that article was misleading.. :laugh: she attended a coaching/judging seminar and all attendees got a certification... that's all..

nguyenghita

On the Ice
God, it's just TWO days workshop, nothing more :laugh:

She will be attending a graduate school at Korea university coming September.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
God, it's just TWO days workshop, nothing more :laugh:

She will be attending a graduate school at Korea university coming September.

Oh was there an announcement? I heard that she would hear by June whether or not she would be attending graduate school but didn't hear about anything after. Congrats to her then.

And it says it's only domestic competitions as a coach so I guess in South Korea only. I'd like to see her coach young Korean skaters though, when she won Worlds in 2013 she called them her "little Korean skaters" and it was really endearing

cooper

Medalist
Oh was there an announcement? I heard that she would hear by June whether or not she would be attending graduate school but didn't hear about anything after. Congrats to her then.

And it says it's only domestic competitions as a coach so I guess in South Korea only. I'd like to see her coach young Korean skaters though, when she won Worlds in 2013 she called them her "little Korean skaters" and it was really endearing

ATS was asked by the media about yuna attending the graduate school in sept.. and they said that she will..

as for coaching.. well she stayed in la last june together w/ park, hae jin and da bin choi.. there were reports that she was coaching them.. maybe helping them..but yuna said one of her interviews last year that she will not be a good coach because she doesn't have the patience.. so who knows..

Krunchii

Record Breaker
ATS was asked by the media about yuna attending the graduate school in sept.. and they said that she will..

as for coaching.. well she stayed in la last june together w/ park, hae jin and da bin choi.. there were reports that she was coaching them.. maybe helping them..but yuna said one of her interviews last year that she will not be a good coach because she doesn't have the patience.. so who knows..

Alright thanks, and even if she doesn't become a full time coach she could always be a good mentor to younger skaters, I'm sure she still wants to be involved with developing FS in Korea

cooper

Medalist
Alright thanks, and even if she doesn't become a full time coach she could always be a good mentor to younger skaters, I'm sure she still wants to be involved with developing FS in Korea

yes she is...

the only problem is the Korean skating union..

glam

On the Ice
Is Yuna still going to skate at shows? Will there be more All That Skate shows in the future?

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Is Yuna still going to skate at shows? Will there be more All That Skate shows in the future?
As far as I know All That Skate will be continued next year with its usual schedule (Spring & Summer shows). Yuna is the ATS's main theme all years so it's impossible for the show without her, so yes, she will skate in her show.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I think that would be a great role for her. Yu-Na, with her successes and experiences, would be a better mentor than coach...at least at this stage in her life. Mentors are essentially coaches; just not in the stand-by-the-boards-at-competitions/there-at-practice-every-day/tell-you-what-to-do-and-how-to-do-it way. She's been there and done it all--that kind of experience is invaluable. I'm sure she wants to move on with certain aspects of her life outside of skating, so not being 100% tied to a skater as a coach is probably the best bet. She's able to stay connected with the sport but, unlike an actual coach, it won't be her absolute focus. She'll have time and freedom to other things. Maybe in the future if she wants to take up a full-time coaching position she can; but for now I get the sense that she wants a life outside of figure skating, at least for a little bit.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think that would be a great role for her. Yu-Na, with her successes and experiences, would be a better mentor than coach...at least at this stage in her life. Mentors are essentially coaches; just not in the stand-by-the-boards-at-competitions/there-at-practice-every-day/tell-you-what-to-do-and-how-to-do-it way. She's been there and done it all--that kind of experience is invaluable. I'm sure she wants to move on with certain aspects of her life outside of skating, so not being 100% tied to a skater as a coach is probably the best bet. She's able to stay connected with the sport but, unlike an actual coach, it won't be her absolute focus. She'll have time and freedom to other things. Maybe in the future if she wants to take up a full-time coaching position she can; but for now I get the sense that she wants a life outside of figure skating, at least for a little bit.

Yes, thank you! Mentoring is key, and they'll likely depend on her heavily since she remains the ONLY top-level elite skater her country has ever produced. (Check in on So-Youn Park in a few months' time ...)

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Yeah everything I get from Yuna right now is that she'd like to live a normal life for a while without all the attention and pressure, I don't blame her for that. She went with So-Youn to LA so I guess she's already started getting involved. I remember in 2010 she said that she had felt some comfort in having a former Olympic medalist as her coach because he's been there done that. If she's there for younger Korean skaters I'm sure it'll be a good boost of confidence for them.

chloec

Rinkside
One of her former coach interviewed that Yuna already has been teaching younger skaters as a skater with seniority but she's not sure about becoming a coach yet. She just wanted to learn the new discipline to help others out better. The coach also said that Yuna has been showing how to do her skills twice a week and it helped them a lot.