Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

bekalc

Record Breaker
Three jump combos are important for points though. Sotnikova can't continue to leave them out! They are vital to accumulating the most points possible. The clean performance has a huge error and mistake of omission.

It probably cost her what a point to two points. Yes, I'd like to see it, but baby steps. She landed a beautiful six triple program. Hardly a huge error.

Matt K

On the Ice
I've been holding my tongue about Ashley. Until now :p

Her style is so dry and whitebread. zzzzzzzzzzz
IMO, should not score higher PCS than Kostner.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Three jump combos are important for points though. Sotnikova can't continue to leave them out! They are vital to accumulating the most points possible. The clean performance has a huge error and mistake of omission.
It's not "huge" unless you think 2 points are huge. You might as well consider the flutz and the lack of a 7th triple huge errors as well. She could have made those points up just by swapping the 2nd 2A with a triple loop.

travelbug

Rinkside
Full thoughts on Monday on my blog but quick thoughts:

<snip>

Samantha: Still my favorite FS of the whole competition. She was great here just like she was great at SA...could she be an outside shot at that 3rd spot? She's performed better than any of the other GP US ladies who are vying for that spot...

Christina: Very disappointed for her. She kinda fell apart here. Don't know what happened to her...

Gosh I would love that with SC! I liked her program and she just seemed to love skating, which is so nice to see, too!

Not a fan of Agnes, really, and, like you, bummed for Christina.

Frankly I'd have loved to see it be Ashley, Samantha, and Christina as the three vs. Gracie being the other assumed one with Ashley and only the third spot up for grabs, or at least see them pretend that the two spots more up for grabs than I think they really are.

Christina is more dancer-esque and usually has nice lines, despite not showing that today at all, and if she was really 'on' this season, I think she could have been a more possible other candidate. But she's ending up being as iffy as Gracie - but I think Christina seems to want it more, which also makes me wish she had done better.

It was clear she was disappointed in herself, both in the K&C, when she would hardly raise her eyes, and at the very end when she did there were tears in her eyes, but she expressed it also on twitter afterward.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hey guys did anyone ever consider that Anna may not have watched Adelina's skate before she went out for her program? I mean, she must have heard the scores and knew it was a big score and obviously the crowd was enthused, but if she hadn't watched, would she have known that Adelina went totally clean? Without having watched the skate, I think it's normal for a skater to seem a bit upset to find out they have placed behind someone who skated before them, it means they did not maintain their position from the SP and will drop in the final standings, perfectly understandable IMO. At Russian events, Adelina could definitely get a 129 with mistakes so yeah. Also, Anna had just beaten Adelina at CoC, and she made a couple of mistakes in her FS, Adelina had loads of mistakes, but that doesn't change the fact that Anna with mistakes beat Adelina with mistakes. Then at TEB, Anna has a clean skate and finds she placed behind Adelina, so even though the score was higher, I guess in her mind it could seem like the judges weren't regarding her skating so well this time.

FTR I like how Julia and Anna get angry when their scores and/or placements aren't what they'd like, they are so driven and determined and it is obviously getting them places! I don't think either girl is delusional and Anna said in an interview last season that she switched her combo to 3lz-3t because she'd get nowhere in Russia without it, and this season she has been saying she does not expect to get to Sochi, and can't believe she gets to skate at the GPF with skaters like Mao and Julia who she considers so superior to herself. So really, delusional??

elif

Medalist
Anna was like that in the short program too. She only missed a 2A but she and her coach are looking like she just had three fall :laugh: She knows she didn't go clean. Her 3lutz and 3L+3S combo had problems. Actually all jumps are little unsteady compared to Cup of China. But she qualified to Final. Good for her. All 2013 world junior medalists can qualify. Incredible.:laugh::laugh:

Florencito

Medalist
Adelina winning a free program was almost a shock! Congrats girl!
Anyway, I really hope LenaR will make it to Fukuoka, at least I'll have a skater to root for in the ladies event! All my faves are too low in the ranking or scheduled for Zagreb :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It probably cost her what a point to two points. Yes, I'd like to see it, but baby steps. She landed a beautiful six triple program. Hardly a huge error.

It's not "huge" unless you think 2 points are huge. You might as well consider the flutz and the lack of a 7th triple huge errors as well. She could have made those points up just by swapping the 2nd 2A with a triple loop.

An Olympic gold medal was decided by less than 2 points! World medals by less than 2 and as low as a tenth of a point. I don't believe that leaving out a jump is good. So many people were like if plushenko did 4-3-2 or 3-2-2 he'd be current Olympic gold medalist.

She could have not done a 2a and did another triple but she filled That jumping slot. That contrasts with her totally leaving out a jump she needs. 2 points can mean world medals and Olympic titles.

bekalc

Record Breaker
An Olympic gold medal was decided by less than 2 points! World medals by less than 2 and as low as a tenth of a point. I don't believe that leaving out a jump is good. So many people were like if plushenko did 4-3-2 or 3-2-2 he'd be current Olympic gold medalist.

She could have not done a 2a and did another triple but she filled That jumping slot. That contrasts with her totally leaving out a jump she needs. 2 points can mean world medals and Olympic titles.

Perhaps Adelina didn't have a good landing to add on that second jump. At this point Adelina needs to focus on going clean. Once she does that then she can worry about maximizing everything.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki can get to the GPF with results like:

1. Murakami
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Kostner
4. Miyahara
5. Lipnitskaia

siela

On the Ice
Akiko Suzuki can get to the GPF with results like:

1. Murakami
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Kostner
4. Miyahara
5. Lipnitskaia

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If Murakami wins, she will have 24 points (9+15). Suzuki has 24 points as well (13+11). But winning this event will place Murakami above Suzuki because of a higher placing (first against second).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Perhaps Adelina didn't have a good landing to add on that second jump. At this point Adelina needs to focus on going clean. Once she does that then she can worry about maximizing everything.

Exactly, look what happened to Mirai at Nationals a few years ago when she decided to put a third jump on a 3-2-2 combo that had no speed coming out of the second jump. Just because you plan to do something doesn't mean you should.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
how about Hicks? nobody seems to be mentioning her ??

Hicks' PCS was low at Skate Canada, and she doesn't have another GP to boost her marks and reputation up. Also, she really needs to be skating totally clean if she hopes to get PCS and overall marks to be competitive. I'm a little sad Polina didn't get to compete on the JGP last season, I think she could have been competitive on the GP this season and had she been out there her chances of the 3rd spot would be more realistic. Seeing as the top 3 girls from JW have all (likely) made it to the GPF and Cesario who was 4th holding her own on the GP, makes me think Polina could be right up there with them had she gotten some international experience before this season, which IMO she deserved to but USFS makes some dumb choices when it comes to JGP assignments. She still has a shot but if she had been on the GP and doing well this season, I think she'd be a real threat. If Radionova and Pogorilaya are getting 7s for PCS at international events I would think Edmunds would as well provided she skates well (which she almost always does).

silverlake22

Record Breaker

If Adelina goes for 3lz-2t in the FS, it opens up another jumping pass and she could replace the 2nd 3f with a 3lo. The difference in BV is only 0.02 and she's far more likely to land a 3lo late in the program and land it well enough to do a 3-jump combo on it. The first 3f is not usually a problem for her, it's the 2nd one, so if she wants to focus on going clean, she should just plan to do 3lz-2t and then swap the 2nd 3f for a 3lo-2t-2lo. Her 3lo is very strong too, would probably get higher GOEs than her flip which has the swingy technique.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Of course she didn't have a good landing. The 3 jump combo is based off a flip jump. The whole thing was extremely unlikely to ever happen. Maximizing everything and leaving two flips behind her is linked completely.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Adelina goes for 3lz-2t in the FS, it opens up another jumping pass and she could replace the 2nd 3f with a 3lo. The difference in BV is only 0.02 and she's far more likely to land a 3lo late in the program and land it well enough to do a 3-jump combo on it. The first 3f is not usually a problem for her, it's the 2nd one, so if she wants to focus on going clean, she should just plan to do 3lz-2t and then swap the 2nd 3f for a 3lo-2t-2lo. Her 3lo is very strong too, would probably get higher GOEs than her flip which has the swingy technique.

This is right and needs to be done at gpf by Adelina.

Kelly

On the Ice
I though Wagner was over scored, scoring a 127 with only 4 triples is very generous. I am surprised she won on PCS, I found the programme very empty, a lot of skating around with not much in the way of CH, PE or IN. I think she is very lucky to win. I am glad to see Sotnikova deliver a clean programme, don't like the music cut and the costume needs to be changed. I enjoyed Anna P, she has real attack and goes for it, but her PCS needs improving. Great for her to be on her way to the GPF.

I just checked the protocol, and Wagner did seven triples (no downgrade) instead of 4 triples as you said it. I wish Sotnikova will change her LP costume too. And I don't like her stockings only cover half of the shoes either.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of course she didn't have a good landing. The 3 jump combo is based off a flip jump. The whole thing was extremely unlikely to ever happen. Maximizing everything and leaving two flips behind her is linked completely.

Oh lord, come off of it. She skated clean, the 3-jump wouldn't have made a difference. Skaters leave out a combo or a three jump combo all the time. You're just finding reason to criticize her just because. :rolleye:

Rami

Rinkside
I'm happy that Sotnikova skated clean but the music at the end of her program is a distraction. I like her sp better. Hopefully she changes her lp-dress, it looks too much like lingerie.

Ashley skated nicely. However, the program didn't provoke any feelings in me this time. IMO the free skate choreo is not as strong as in her short program but it's still nice.

My favorites of the night were Meite and Cesario. I just hope that in the future Cesario is capable to show more variety in her music choices. No more Carmen for her after this season, please.