Ladies SP - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2014 Russian Championships

zamboni step

Final Flight
You seriously think that any coach (especially a new one who didn't have any skaters to begin with) is going to go around picking skaters because they like how they look?

This is a perfect example of people overestimating internal and underestimating external factors when making their judgements.

I think it's a factor, body type does affect the impression left on the ice. I'm not saying it's a large factor but it is one, you may place too much faith in judges ability to distinguish the difference between being beautiful and skating beautifully. I hate to trot out the old warhorse but look at Kiira Korpi, another example would be Satoko Miyahara's lowballing in PCS last year, she was small and didn't leave as big an impression. Body type shouldn't be a factor but it is and only a foolish coach wouldn't take that into account, natural lines are easier to work with and the skaters Volchkova has definitely have naturally beautiful lines.

I think it's a factor, body type does affect the impression left on the ice. I'm not saying it's a large factor but it is one, you may place too much faith in judges ability to distinguish the difference between being beautiful and skating beautifully. I hate to trot out the old warhorse but look at Kiira Korpi, another example would be Satoko Miyahara's lowballing in PCS last year, she was small and didn't leave as big an impression. Body type shouldn't be a factor but it is and only a foolish coach wouldn't take that into account, natural lines are easier to work with and the skaters Volchkova has definitely have naturally beautiful lines.

I have no faith in judges. They can't distinguish between a centred spin and a spin that travels throughout. They seem unable to break away from anchoring and I am quite sure that the halo effect significantly affects their marks as well. But how is that relevant?

You need a new coach, you stumble upon Volchvkova who happens to work at the same rink or somebody recommends her to you. Or maybe you saw her working with some kids and liked what you saw. How is your height got anything to do with that? Most likely it's just being in the right place at the right time.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m so sad about Liza :( I also dont see anything about her weight.

Sotnikova was fantastic!

Last edited:

zamboni step

Final Flight
You need a new coach, you stumble upon Volchvkova who happens to work at the same rink or somebody recommends her to you. Or maybe you saw her working with some kids and liked what you saw. How is your height got anything to do with that? Most likely it's just being in the right place at the right time.

This is Russia, the coaches pick and chose who they want to include in their group. You pick the ones with the most potential, if a skater looks like she's going to grow up to be tall and long limbed then maybe you think she'd be better because she has more naturally pleasing lines already. I'm not saying it's an important factor, but I do think it is a small one. Have you never heard a commentator say that a skater looks great on the ice (Simon Reed actually said this about Korobeynikova, Nicky Slater too) if a skaters figure looks good on the ice then they're going to have a natural advantage over someone who isn't as lucky in that regard.

Obviously if they can't skate or can't skate as well as someone with a less impressive figure, it's not going to go in their favour anyway. If you were watching Carolina Kostner and some skater of slightly shorter limbs and height, your eyes would go to Kostner, it's the brains natural instinct to go to the more striking figure, and as you said before having no faith in judges you must realise they're prone to this too. Dick Button himself was susceptible to this, always noting Kostners long limbs. Coaches know this, there are hundreds of factors weighing in on a coaches decision to include a skater in their group and I'm sure they would take that into consideration.

This is Russia, the coaches pick and chose who they want to include in their group. You pick the ones with the most potential, if a skater looks like she's going to grow up to be tall and long limbed then maybe you think she'd be better because she has more naturally pleasing lines already.

This is Viktoria Volchkova who was just starting her coaching career and didn't have any higher level skaters yet. She'd take what was given.

(Also, a coach can accept or refuse a skater who comes forward in any country, not just Russia ;))

noidont

Final Flight
Aside from the fall, Liza was actually pretty good. Speed was the best she could do. Also really enjoyed Nikol. I hope she switches to Georgia or whatever. I just love her, even though she lacks the kind of raw power required to make it out of Russia.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, one of them is very capable of a total meltdown. Don't call it "boring" just yet; remember what we just saw at Japanese Nationals? :laugh:

And she has had 3 of those meltdowns just this year. Let's see, there was Japan Open, then China, then GPF. I hope she can simplify her layout like she did in Paris and just skate clean because with her PCS advantage that should be enough for her to make it to Euros (top 3 eligible girls). That should be her focus, just make Euros. After that, then she can think of the Olympics.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can hear sky_fly20 already....

Real pity about the fall, but beautiful otherwise.

Ane for all those complaining about her going back to the same SP again, well, if it works...

Good luck in the FS

CaroLiza_fan xxxxxx

EDIT: Sorry, written before the scores came up.

8th???!!!

Either something's badly wrong with the scoring, or I must be far too biased to be objective!!! (I suspect the latter!)

Unfortunately, at this rate of going, I think you are right that she won't be at Euros, never mind Worlds and Olympics.

Aside from the fall, Liza was actually pretty good. Speed was the best she could do.

Thank goodness somebody else thought Liza had a good skate. I was starting to think it was just me being biased, because I fancy her!!! ;) :biggrin:

Also really enjoyed Nikol. I hope she switches to Georgia or whatever. I just love her, even though she lacks the kind of raw power required to make it out of Russia.

And I totally agree with you over Nikol. Elene Gedevanishvilli was a great skater, and did wonders for putting Georgia on the figure skating map. But, much as I may have liked her in the past, she is not the same skater now.

I don't know how many more disappointing seasons Elene can put up with. So, I suspect that she will call it a day soon. And, as far as I know, there aren't any good up-and-coming Ladies skaters to replace her.

So, Nikol would be a perfect choice. She is a good skater but, as you say, she is unlikely to get on the Russian team. But, she clearly has Georgian ancestry (it is obvious from her surname, but you would also know it just by looking at her). So, she may as well make the most of it to further her career internationally, rather than stagnate in Russian Nationals.

CaroLiza_fan

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank goodness somebody else thought Liza had a good skate. I was starting to think it was just me being biased, because I fancy her!!! ;) :biggrin:

Good skate I agree. At least she went for the 3l/3t without popping it, unfortunate fall though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Liza and with nationals inflation I think she should have certainly cleared 60. Looks like Mishin is going to have to put his eggs in Plushenko's basket and even that is looking questionable.

Fantastic skate by Sotnikova.. Of course, sky_fly can't say anything about it so she goes for Sotnikova's costume (as if Hanyu's FS costume is any less ridiculous). I also thought her second 3T was UR but she probably got the benefit of the doubt.

Also so glad to see Leonova skate well with joy again! :Clap: Hopefully she doesn't pull a Miki/Sasha and makes her way onto the podium!

Question: if Lip/Sot/Rad take the podium will Radionova be denied a spot at Euros because she's too young for Sochi? Because wouldn't sending those 3 to Euros essentially prevent Tuk/Pog/Leo from making the Olympics? Seems like Sot/Lip have their placements set if they go 1-2 and Tuk/Pogo are far behind. I could picture Leonova going to Euros with a strong FS. IMO she actually had the best 3-3 of the top skaters!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Question: if Lip/Sot/Rad take the podium will Radionova be denied a spot at Euros because she's too young for Sochi? Because wouldn't sending those 3 to Euros essentially prevent Tuk/Pog/Leo from making the Olympics? Seems like Sot/Lip have their placements set if they go 1-2 and Tuk/Pogo are far behind. I could picture Leonova going to Euros with a strong FS. IMO she actually had the best 3-3 of the top skaters!

Radionova is also ineligible for Euros

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anna seems a little off today, even in her steps she was a little off balance. Hope she come back strong in the LP and go to Euros.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
The criteria for Euros and the Olympics are the same. Radionova was allowed to take part in the GPs because they allow 1 year younger skaters, but she's too young for Euros, Olympics and Worlds.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Fantastic skate by Sotnikova.. Of course, sky_fly can't say anything about it so she goes for Sotnikova's costume
Maybe Adelina's saving the best for last. ;) I like the costume she wore when she debuted her SP at THE ICE show. At least, it looks quite nice in picture.
In any case, I'm glad that Adelina delivered. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope she nails everything in the free-skate segment.

Gigi13

On the Ice
Yay for Adelina I hope she does well in the free skate, Elena was great as always and Julia was good today but I hope she can do better in the fs. Leonova you go gurl I think she might go to euros but I don't know, I feel bad for Liza I hope all the ladies do well in their freeskates! :)