Men Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!! :clap:
Patrick was just WOW and I enjoyed Jason's LP like I did before.

I'm proud of Yuzuru as one of his fans. Sad about 2 mistakes at the beginning, but I liked this performance the most out of 3 competitions he was in this season :) He is still young as Jason, Han, Joshua and I'm really happy to see him skate in a long run although he already has achieved a lot at his young age.

To me it was. Patrick must have thought so too; that's why he went back to this music for the Olympic season. ;)

jaylee

Medalist
To me it was. Patrick must have thought so too; that's why he went back to this music for the Olympic season. ;)

It's a pretty different program though, with a different music cut. And a pretty different performance today. ;) Okay, I thought his performance at TEB blew that old performance away, but different strokes for different folks... :cool:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:eek: ...seriously? You're saying this is his best? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LSJIzuQU

:slink:

Neither do anything for me in an interpretive, musical, or choreographic sense. They were just ok. Still better than some of the dreadful ones like the one Bonaly once did, lol! The most masterful interpretations of that music by far were Lambiel in 2006 and Usova & Zhulin in 92. Nobody else even comes close.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Every skater has his own artistic limit. Only a few on your list could jump out of their own limitation. Patrick Chan, though not the best artist, is right up there amongst them. He has his style. He cannot skate something like Takahashi's Blue. However, Lori Nichol and Morozov's stretching style choreographs are not Takahashi's strength either. Johnny weir's pretty pretty style is quite narrow. I don't think weir has better artistry than Chan under Kathy Johnson.

Ah, then we differ in our views and perceptions. I wouldn't dismiss Johnny 's style as pretty or narrow. Johnny had a very natural, fluid and improvisational style which is what got him into trouble competitively under CoP. Above all I think Johnny has been a very inspirational skater and person, particularly among his fellow skaters whether or not it's kosher for those so inspired by Johnny to actually admit it.

flaneur

On the Ice
It's a pretty different program though, with a different music cut. And a pretty different performance today. ;) Okay, I thought his performance at TEB blew that old performance away, but different strokes for different folks... :cool:

To me the two performances/programs make an interesting study of skater when he first starts out and when he is in his prime. It also shows the differences (and similarities) of two choreographers when they work with the same skater and same music.

I have a soft spot for the 2008 version... it was the performance that first made me really notice Patrick. But objectively speaking Patrick is a better skater now :)

emdee

Final Flight
To me the two performances/programs make an interesting study of skater when he first starts out and when he is in his prime. It also shows the differences (and similarities) of two choreographers when they work with the same skater and same music.

I have a soft spot for the 2008 version... it was the performance that first made me really notice Patrick. But objectively speaking Patrick is a better skater now :)

I so agree with you as I have many memories of his first Canadian win!
Though absolutely love how he has developed

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Every skater has his own artistic limit. Only a few on your list could jump out of their own limitation. Patrick Chan, though not the best artist, is right up there amongst them. He has his style. He cannot skate something like Takahashi's Blue. However, Lori Nichol and Morozov's stretching style choreographs are not Takahashi's strength either. Johnny weir's pretty pretty style is quite narrow. I don't think weir has better artistry than Chan under Kathy Johnson.

What a glorious skate by Patrick. I differ in my view of artistry: some, like Takahashi project out to the audience, while skaters like Chan draw the audience in to him. With Kathy Johnson's help I see Patrick as a true artist -- he actually dances his programs and becomes one with the music. Instead of the flourishes, flapping arms & empty drama of some skaters, all Chan's movements are pure, controlled & minimal. I disagree he needs to work on his arms & shoulders (I know you didn't say that Bluebonnet, it was another poster). I see his arms as very balletic.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think some of the flubbing of jumps we're seeing is due to feeling the weight of expectations and pressure. What I wish for him is a good season with more consistency and a slow, steady blossoming over the next four-eight years.

Absolutely Hanyu is feeling the pressure, although in the past he has also had difficulty putting out two clean programs in competition. I think it's easy to forget that he's just 18 as we've seen moments of brillance from him at a very young age.

I see nothing wrong with his LP. If he relaxes and lands the jumps it can no doubt be stunning. With the mistakes here maybe Orser will rethink the quad sal and rearrange the jump layout. Even better, maybe they'll rethink the costume and put him in something more befitting Romeo. :laugh:

rain

Record Breaker
Absolutely Hanyu is feeling the pressure, although in the past he has also had difficulty putting out two clean programs in competition. I think it's easy to forget that he's just 18 as we've seen moments of brillance from him at a very young age.

I see nothing wrong with his LP. If he relaxes and lands the jumps it can no doubt be stunning. With the mistakes here maybe Orser will rethink the quad sal and rearrange the jump layout. Even better, maybe they'll rethink the costume and put him in something more befitting Romeo. :laugh:

I feel sorry for all the Japanese guys. They're having to compete on the Grand Prix at these events in the micro sense, but in the macro sense they're already under intense scrutiny by the Japanese Federation and any misstep, even in a GP, could lead to them being left off the Olympic team.

Chan, too, has huge expectations on him of course, as he is the sole man carrying all of the expectations of the country, but in these pre-Olympic competitions, at least, he can focus on preparing for the Olympics because, let's face it, unless he has some kind of catastrophic injury he already knows he's going.

On another note, I finally realized what it is that bugs me about Hanyu's costume. It's not so much the extra fabric around the chest — goodness knows there have been enough costumes with dangling bits of fabric hanging from them over the years — it's the way the black and white patterning between the top and bottom gives the impression of cinching in for a weirdly feminine-looking waistline. It's the whole chest-waist-hips illusion that I find off-putting.

spikydurian

Medalist

I too think he has progressed from 2008, flaneur. He should otherwise, he wouldn't be where he is today.
I prefer the current Vivaldi to the 2008 version. In fact, I have never really liked the 2008 music. In 2008, Patrick was just a 'teenager', super brilliant in footwork. Today, he is more wholesome. He has the quads and more control over his moments. A tumultuous past season would have forced him to 'grow emotionally' reflected in his skating today. Elegie and Four Seasons, excellent choice for Olympics. Powerful yet contained versus powerful and free. We fans talked about what he would bring to his new LP, wishing for contrast, and we got it. :)

IceDiva said:
. I differ in my view of artistry: some, like Takahashi project out to the audience, while skaters like Chan draw the audience in to him.

I see Daisuke and Patrick as two very different skaters too. Dai is 'sexy' with a Rock star appeal. His style is very attractive to ladies. :biggrin: Patrick is a skater's skater. You have to watch his feet to appreciate his skating.
IMO, every skater brings something different to skating. I will always associate Lambiel to elegance and gorgeous spins, Plushenko to his ice presence and jumps, Yag to his complete package, Browning to power and art, Elvis to masculinity, Buttle to artistry and so on. Of course, Patrick IMO as "Master of the Balde". The things he can do with is blade complete with effortless speed, is astonishing.

msteach said:
maybe they'll rethink the costume and put him in something more befitting Romeo
I personally don't like Hanyu's costume too. It's too feminine with all the coloured stones and frills. I think a plain soft white/off white is more befitting to Romeo's image. Is it too late to change his costume? :laugh:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Congratulations to all the medalists and to Han! Great achievement to get into GPF at the senior debut. I hope Chinese skaters don't join Oda in the math challenged department. It's great to see Chan got two clean programs together and those two performances were great! Hanyu had a nice recovery and I think the jump layout is clever---it aims to be great to compete with Patrick , and if not, still good enough to compete with others. The 4S is not reliable, like S/S' 3A th, but it is there to bet on the small probability event to happen. Who knows, one can hope the stars line up. I like both Hanyu and Chan's SP, both masterpiece. Hanyu's choreography take his gangster like skating style into good use and made the program cute and edgy. Chan's showcased his great skating skills. Not many skaters can handle that kind of choreography, having the luxury of taking the time to express the nuances of the music and create the mood. IMO it is the best program artistically. I don't like Hanyu's LP that much. There are a few good transitions and move in the field, but the program as a whole doesn't do much for me. The costume is confusing too. Chan's LP is good. But I think he could phrase it better. As someone mentioned, it needs some breath. I'm a bit surprised that Kathy didn't see that. I personally think Lori's program for 2011/12 had better phrasing. I still love that one better. Jason Brown was a pleasant surprise. He's so cute at the K&C:)

Becki

Medalist
Finally watched the FS!

Patrick - I paid attention to Patrick's feet - he glides ever so effortlessly, or so it seems. Excellent performance, although it didn't send chills down my spine. I hope he can repeat this performance at the Olympics, because if he does, the OGM is his to lose.

Yuzuru - Too bad about the fall on the 4T, and not being able to even attempt the 4S. I felt like this was his strongest FS performance of the season - he emoted more emotion in the second half of the program. This program needs more mileage and polish - some of his movements feel incomplete and rushed. But overall, I think he's making progress. Yuzu recovered so nicely after the unsuccessful/non-perfect quad attempts, which reminds me of Mao Asada's 2008 WC FS, and also Yuna's TEB 2009 (?) where she completed skipped an element.

Jason - his smile, his transitions, OMG. He's just so cuteeeeeeee. I think Yuzuru has a major rival in the years to come. Ditto with Han Yan, despite being sick, he skates very fast. Definitely a lot of potential, just need more experience.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh my goodness how cute was he?!

He looked like a kid on Christmas morning who saw a pile of presents under the tree just for him!

Hard to imagine how he could have looked even happier if it had been silver or gold!

For him, I guess, it may as well have been gold! Just think, this time last year, he was struggling with the triple Axel still, he'd been beaten at Courchevel by a 13 year old, and people were saying left and right that he was never going to make the big time because he'd never land the triple Axel. And look where he is now - standing on a Senior Grand Prix podium! This season has been a dream so far...and it's far from over! We won't see him again now til Nationals, but oh, I can't wait for that!

Becki

Medalist
Oh my goodness how cute was he?!

He looked like a kid on Christmas morning who saw a pile of presents under the tree just for him!

Hard to imagine how he could have looked even happier if it had been silver or gold!

Usually the bronze medalist looks or appears to be a lot happier because they narrowly missed being off the podium! And there's no where to go but UPPPPPP, so I think Jason should be happiest with a bronze ^^

yude

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for all the Japanese guys. They're having to compete on the Grand Prix at these events in the micro sense, but in the macro sense they're already under intense scrutiny by the Japanese Federation and any misstep, even in a GP, could lead to them being left off the Olympic team.

This. They have definitly different mindsets and pressure from skaters in other countries IMO.

emdee

Final Flight

That wasn't the reason.....but I do remember the 2008 Nats very well. It was a star is born moment.
However this weekend the star was shining brightly in his firmament.