Need Help with a Name for a Fictional Japanese Skater | Golden Skate

Need Help with a Name for a Fictional Japanese Skater

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I know that there are a lot of Japanese speakers on the forum, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with creating a name for a fictional Japanese skater that would be authentic. Thank you in advance for the suggestions. It's for my original novel, not fanfiction. It is only mentioned in a dialogue in passing.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not a native Japanese speaker (I'm at a lower intermediate level), but I do like Japanese names and the process of creating characters. Feel free to message me with more details about the context of the conversation, if there's any type of meaning you want the name to have, etc.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You could combine the names of two Japanese skaters...

Yuzuru Kagiyama
Shoma Hanyu

Although if the focus isn't on the skater why not namedrop your favourite Japanese skater? Or is it set in the future?

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could combine the names of two Japanese skaters...

Yuzuru Kagiyama
Shoma Hanyu
As someone who used to do some creative writing when she was an English major, I would prefer not to do this. The purpose of creative writing is to create a world that is one's own, even if it is based off of the real world. Slapping two names together simply doesn't feel creative enough to me. I also feel like this might annoy fans of either skater (and perhaps the skaters themselves, if they read English) involved in such a name anyway. 😅

At the very least, if a writer wants to create names of characters in a language that is not their native language, they should do some appropriate research, such as finding out common first names and surnames in that language, learning about possible meanings of those names, etc. And if all else fails, there are random name generators out there for various languages. 😆 Even a random name generator would be better than combining two well-known names together, imo.

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, guys. I ended up with just Hasegawa. :) Sent manuscript yesterday, so hopefully it won't stick out too too badly.
Definitely falls under the "common Japanese surname" category. I like it! 👍

Feel free to let me know if you need a first name sometime.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Definitely falls under the "common Japanese surname" category. I like it! 👍

Feel free to let me know if you need a first name sometime.
Thank you. I am all good for now, I think. My problem with name generators is that they give combinations that real people wouldn't use, so I always ask for name 'clusters' from someone who lives in the country.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Male or female? Because if you are still looking a first name, and if it was for a boy, I would like to suggest Daijiro.

I was a big fan of motorbike racer Daijiro Kato. And after he died, I decided that if I ever had a son with a Japanese woman, that I would like to name him Daijiro in tribute to Kato-san.

But, since that'll probably never happen, I'd thought I'd suggest the name to you instead.

"Daijiro Hasegawa" doesn't sound too bad actually. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Male or female? Because if you are still looking a first name, and if it was for a boy, I would like to suggest Daijiro.

I was a big fan of motorbike racer Daijiro Kato. And after he died, I decided that if I ever had a son with a Japanese woman, that I would like to name him Daijiro in tribute to Kato-san.

But, since that'll probably never happen, I'd thought I'd suggest the name to you instead.

"Daijiro Hasegawa" doesn't sound too bad actually. ;)

CaroLiza_fan
Actually, it sounds pretty cool! If I get to edit again, I am using it. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Actually, it sounds pretty cool! If I get to edit again, I am using it. :)

Wow! I wasn't expecting so positive a reaction to my suggestion. 😲

Really delighted that you like it.

Happy to be of help.

CaroLiza_fan