Newbie Advice Appreciated | Golden Skate

Newbie Advice Appreciated

cathc1

Spectator
Hi there, very new here but loving the vibe.

I wanted some advice on skates please.

I used to skate (was learning mohawks) before covid and then my arena shut down and amongst other things I had to get rid of my skates.

I have only ever owned a pair of Edea Overtures, the ones I had to sell, which having worn only rentals before them, I have nothing else to compare them to.

Recently, I found that our last remaining rink has an adults class 4 times a month and I want to join and skate again.

The skate shop there punts Risport Venus and Antares and the other shop is a 2.5hour flight away. No one actually does professional fittings that I know of, we are a summer sun country - snow and ice are not common. The bigger shop that's 2.5hours away is VERY expensive, not to mention the flight to get there.

I know of the details behind Edeas, but have no reference point for Risports. I have no clue what to buy and I won't be able to do a proper fitting, so it's going to have to be based on guesswork. I don't know of any other brands that wouldn't cost too much. I have heard of Tempish, but they look more recreational though.

The other issue is, the Edeas and Risports all cost an absolute fortune now - particularly the ones I want, but now can't afford. I know the lower models in most skates don't have much support and being an adult I am worried about going "cheaper".

This would be a once off, shot in the dark purchase and one I won't be able to afford to do again.

I won't die if I have to use rentals for a while, but my word they are revolting and stink to high heaven. I can feel my feet worry when I put them on.

I am an adult female skater, 1.62m mid to lightweight.

Please help? I'm grasping at straws wondering what to do.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I used to skate (was learning mohawks) before covid and then my arena shut down and amongst other things I had to get rid of my skates.

I have only ever owned a pair of Edea Overtures, the ones I had to sell, which having worn only rentals before them, I have nothing else to compare them to.

Recently, I found that our last remaining rink has an adults class 4 times a month and I want to join and skate again.

The skate shop there punts Risport Venus and Antares and the other shop is a 2.5hour flight away. No one actually does professional fittings that I know of, we are a summer sun country - snow and ice are not common. The bigger shop that's 2.5hours away is VERY expensive, not to mention the flight to get there.

I know of the details behind Edeas, but have no reference point for Risports. I have no clue what to buy and I won't be able to do a proper fitting, so it's going to have to be based on guesswork. I don't know of any other brands that wouldn't cost too much. I have heard of Tempish, but they look more recreational though.

The other issue is, the Edeas and Risports all cost an absolute fortune now - particularly the ones I want, but now can't afford. I know the lower models in most skates don't have much support and being an adult I am worried about going "cheaper".

This would be a once off, shot in the dark purchase and one I won't be able to afford to do again.

I won't die if I have to use rentals for a while, but my word they are revolting and stink to high heaven. I can feel my feet worry when I put them on.

First of all, can we get this into lutz corner @mod? TIA :)

OP, hi and welcome! I would love to help you, but need to know a few things so that myself and others here can help you.

Where in the world are you? We may be able to suggest a fitter. And a few of us know what boots are available different places across the globe so you would know what brands would be available to you.

What is your height/weight? Foot type (look this up), arches (v.high/high/normal/low/very low/flat?.
Will you be taking lessons (sorry if I missed this above) and what skills do you hope to accomplish in skating?

Once I have that I can start suggesting what could work best for you.

Good luck! :)

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia

Hey there and welcome back!

You already have the expert replying to you above so you are in great hands!

But one thing I can say from my own experience in selecting and purchasing skates, trying to make the decision solely/mainly based on cost would sometimes end up costing more (I got 3 different pairs of ill-fitted/unsuitable skates because I was trying to save some money!). And unfortunately for all of us here, this is a sport that requires quite a lot of financial commitment. And from what I've read here, boots usually won't last forever (don't we all wish that!). I'm expecting maximum 12-18 months on my boots but if I manage to start jumping earlier, I assume I would need to change my boots sooner. So, just keep that in mind so that you'll have a more realistic expectation on the life span of these boots. Also, keep in mind, blades have a limited amount of sharpening in them. so, when you're doing the calculation, please don't forget the blades

Wish you the best!

cathc1

Spectator
First of all, can we get this into lutz corner @mod? TIA :)

OP, hi and welcome! I would love to help you, but need to know a few things so that myself and others here can help you.

Where in the world are you? We may be able to suggest a fitter. And a few of us know what boots are available different places across the globe so you would know what brands would be available to you.

What is your height/weight? Foot type (look this up), arches (v.high/high/normal/low/very low/flat?.
Will you be taking lessons (sorry if I missed this above) and what skills do you hope to accomplish in skating?

Once I have that I can start suggesting what could work best for you.

Good luck! :)
Hello! Thank you for replying @Ic3Rabbit and @Diana Delafield

Firstly, I just want to note if anyone from my country is reading this - I mean no disrespect or ill intent at all, I just want to get the right information so that I do what's best for me and my long suffering wallet lol.

I am in South Africa.

The skate shop that is 2.5hours away has suggested two different Edeas with fairly decent blades, so it definitely will be a long term investment, they are quite hefty at the moment - I do blame our location and the exchange rate for this!

I did some research on importing a pair and have some helpful info on that ito customs and delivery charges.

I tried on a pair of Antares that the local shop had but those were very big for me, as it was the only stock they had so I couldn't really tell much.

I have heard that Edea are the best though, and since I had a pair before, I think it might be an idea to just stick with the brand? They do look beautiful and as far as I know there are no customs charges on them.

I measured and checked my feet, in mm they are 245mm and standard width with normal arches. My first pair of Overtures were 265s and I know those were too big. So I would be guessing either 260/255 if I get a new pair? I had no idea how the fits are in other brands at all!

I would only be doing the adult beginner classes for now, I am so rusty! I am 1.62m tall and around 65kgs.

I am aiming to get to do a successful spin and a waltz/basic jump for starters. I'm super scared of falling, but those would be my goals.

We have 1 guy in our immediate area who sharpens figure skates, but I don't think I will be going so often that they will need too many sharpens just yet!

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia

Firstly, I just want to note if anyone from my country is reading this - I mean no disrespect or ill intent at all, I just want to get the right information so that I do what's best for me and my long suffering wallet lol.

I am in South Africa.

The skate shop that is 2.5hours away has suggested two different Edeas with fairly decent blades, so it definitely will be a long term investment, they are quite hefty at the moment - I do blame our location and the exchange rate for this!

I did some research on importing a pair and have some helpful info on that ito customs and delivery charges.

I tried on a pair of Antares that the local shop had but those were very big for me, as it was the only stock they had so I couldn't really tell much.

I have heard that Edea are the best though, and since I had a pair before, I think it might be an idea to just stick with the brand? They do look beautiful and as far as I know there are no customs charges on them.

I measured and checked my feet, in mm they are 245mm and standard width with normal arches. My first pair of Overtures were 265s and I know those were too big. So I would be guessing either 260/255 if I get a new pair? I had no idea how the fits are in other brands at all!

I would only be doing the adult beginner classes for now, I am so rusty! I am 1.62m tall and around 65kgs.

I am aiming to get to do a successful spin and a waltz/basic jump for starters. I'm super scared of falling, but those would be my goals.

We have 1 guy in our immediate area who sharpens figure skates, but I don't think I will be going so often that they will need too many sharpens just yet!
As a fellow beginner (been taking group lessons since January, individual lessons since March), I get why there's this myth of Edea being the "best". I say myth because (imho) the best boots are the ones that fit your feet well and can support you at your current level. Also, they went on overdrive with their marketing and sponsorship, so their brand visibility is up there.

How was your experience on the Overtures? did they fit you well, aside from the sizing issue? My feet also measure around 245mm and I was fitted into the 255 (I wear the Chorus, thanks to the amazing advice by our expert here). However, since different brands fit different type of feet, definitely would be worth making the 2.5 hour trip to get yourself fitted. During my fitting, they made me do different things to discern what type of boots would fit me best. I even walked around the store in the boots to make sure my feet weren't sliding around. Sometimes boots that feel good sitting down, can feel very differently once you start walking in them. Edea boots have rather narrow/small toeboxes, so keep that in mind. I suspect you were fitted too big on your Overtures due to them trying to cramp wider feet into a narrower boot. I had this with my second boot (luckily it was recreational, so not so pricey).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I am in South Africa.

Edea are not the best, sorry. All the top boot brands for figure skating are just as good, some may be better. What is best though is when the boot actually fits your foot shape and that will be the best boot for your unique foot and needs. This is why I asked you to tell me earlier what your foot shape is look here. Once you can give me that info with what is upthread that you already posted, then I can try to help.

I will tell you that you must get fitted in person. There are so many things that can go wrong if you aren't fitted properly by someone trained to fit figure skates and only figure skates.

Last edited: