Official List Of Gp Participants!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Official List Of Gp Participants!!

Perhaps Skate Canada does not want Yu-Na Kim to beat Joannie.
But I don't see any reason why they would prefer for Joannie to skate against Mao Asada rather than Yu-na Kim. Either way, it's the frying pan or the fire.

I wonder what the order of the draw was. Did Skate Canada pick before CoC and CoR and choose Mao? Or did CoC and CoR choose first, taking Kim off the table?

Skater America going with Ando rather than Asada is smart strategy, IMHO. Meissner has a better chance against Ando (IMHO) and they still get to plug the event as the showdown between the 2006 and 2007 World Champions.

netnuts

Match Penalty
In pairs, Cup of Russia and Skate Canada have the toughest competition.
Cup of Russia: Zhangs, S&S and K&S
Skate Canada: S&S, K&S and D&D.

Cup of China, NHK and TEB are rather weak fields, especially NHK, looks like I&B are running away with this one.

flying camel

Medalist
Cup of China, NHK and TEB are rather weak fields, especially NHK, looks like I&B are running away with this one.[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe Alissia will have a shot at medaling if she skates well.
I think COR looks the weakest to me.

Last edited:

cygnus

Rinkside
In pairs, Cup of Russia and Skate Canada have the toughest competition.
Cup of Russia: Zhangs, S&S and K&S
Skate Canada: S&S, K&S and D&D.

Cup of China, NHK and TEB are rather weak fields, especially NHK, looks like I&B are running away with this one.

I wouldn't say I&B gave no competition in Japan. If the Ukranians (who were 4 spots above them at worlds last year) skate well, they should take it. And they have been improving each year up to now. I&B have not.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I wouldn't say I&B gave no competition in Japan. If the Ukranians (who were 4 spots above them at worlds last year) skate well, they should take it. And they have been improving each year up to now. I&B have not.

Yeah, you are right. I did not pick up that pair's name, sorry. I&B have their work cut out.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Predictions

We can have some fun now. I'll do pairs first.

Skate America:
1. Pang & Tong
2. Dube&Davison
3. NNN&T

Skate Canada
1. S&S
2. Dube & Davison
3. K&S

Cup of China
1. Pang & Tong
2. I&B
3. O&S

TEB
1. Zhangs
2. V&M
3. M&T

Cup of Russia
1. S&S
2. Zhangs
3. K&S

NHK
1. V&M
2. I&B
3. O&S

Finals:

Pang & Tong
S&S
Zhangs
I&B
V&M
Dube&Davison

Nigel

On the Ice
It is my understanding that the Senior B competitions currently under consideration for U.S. skaters are:
Ondrej Nepala, Sept. 22-24, Bratislava, Slovakia
Nebelhorn Trophy, Sept. 27-29, Oberstdorf, Germany
Finlandia Trophy, Oct. 12-14, Vantaa, Finland
Golden Spin, Nov. 8-11, Zagreb, Croatia

Last year, Megan Williams-Stewart and Jordan Miller (Nepala), Bebe Liang, Katy Taylor and Parker Pennington (Nebelhorn) Jeremy Abbott (Finlandia), and Danielle Kahle (Vienna Cup) were the singles skaters who medalled in the 'B' events. Taylor and Liang already had 2 Sr. GP assignments when they were assigned to Nebelhorn (perhaps Caroline Zhang and others may get a Senior B "warm-up" comp. as well?). Castile/Okolski won the pairs gold at Nebelhorn but did not have the opportunity to compete on the Sr. GP. At least a Senior B is better than nothing...

Rather than sending Zhang and other ladies out to a Sr B event as a warm up, would USFS look at their other Sr ladies that deserve a chance to develop or continue to develop internationally as well?? in order of their finish order at US Nationals...
Danielle K , Katy T, Michelle B, Christine Z, Melissa B, Megan W.S., Taylor F (leaving out Rachael F..JGP, Juliana C...JGP and Megan O...SGP). How far down into Sr Ladies does USFS typically go to send a skater out to a Senior B event. IIRC, Erica A went last year to Finlandia without a finish in the top 10 the yr before at US Nationals.

As someone else posted, the USFS seems to be putting alot of their eggs in the upcoming JR ladies basket. Kind of surprising to see who is not going to the SGP events.

morninglight

On the Ice
I would look forward to the newer ladies in senior, such as Zhang, Takeda, and Sawada.

I think that Zhang can aim for Bronze in SA and Silver/Bronze in CoC.

I like Nana Takeda. She is tall, dynamic, and delightful. A very happy skater, full of energy.

Aki Sawada seems to be a powerful jumper.

I am also glad that Mai Asada got at least one spot. But SA is so crowded that I am a bit worried where she will place.

It seems that Yu-na will have easy win in both events.

Fumie is a bit unfortunate to compete with Yu-na twice.

I don't think Miki will have meltdowns in SA. She tends to be better earlier in the season and gets tired afterwords. Kimmie vs. Miki would be interesting if both are clean.

Carolina has a great chance for Silver in China and NHK. But I feel a bit sorry for her getting these events because she has to fly over all the way to Asia in both events. That's not easy.

I don't think Gedevashnivili is better than Caro yet.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I would prefer all the Ladies on tape rather than just 4 shared with Dance. I enjoy looking at the whole field. If it is true they will be shown on NetSkate, I'm ok with NBC deciding whom they will be showing Live..

One thing I HOPE they don't do is switch back and forth between live and taped coverage (showing skaters that only Americans would be interested in). According to the scheduling of the events, they may as well show the last group of dance (or the top three) and then all the ladies live, and webcast live the men and pairs a day earlier. Another option is to tape-delay the dance event by a half-hour or so, then show the last group of ladies live.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I'm so glad right now that I got tickets to SA this year. I've never been to a skating competition so this makes me so excited to go see. I can't wait to see Zhang at her seinor debut :biggrin:.

Here are my predictions for medals:
Skate America
1. Meissner
2. Ando
3. Zhang (I feel like she'll have a 3F-3T this season)

Skate Canada
1. Asada
2. Rochette
3. Wagner or Nakano

Cup of China
1. Kim
2. Suguri
3. Zhang or Kostner (Depends if Kostner faulters or not)

Trophee Eric Bompard
1. Asada or Meissner
2. Meissner or Asada
3. Wagner or Meier
(The top 2 depends on is one faulters or not, I'm very unsure about this one)

Cup of Russia
1. Kim
2. Suguri
3. Up for grabs (There's a bunch that can get this one)

NHK Trophy
1. Ando
2. Kostner
3. Meier or Gedevanishvilli (I hope Elene gets this one)

sillylionlove

Medalist
Same for me Surfer..looking forwared to seeing Zhang at her debut. Iam so glad that I got all event tickets...I will even be at the practice at 7 am on Sunday.

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
ISU Listing: USA entry for Dance at CoR: Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT /Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT.

Who??

For years posters have been predicting the results from their hearts and continued into the last Marshalls with a wounded Kwan. duh.

I hope posters would predict results from their heads. Many more are doing that now. Bravo!!

Joe

I predict that both Zhang and Ando will best Meissner at SA. And no question Mao will beat her in Paris.

I would be as pleased as punch if Mai Asada broke through as a contender this year but that may be a dream. American fans really liked her last year so it's nice that she's coming back.

I'm really glad the USFSA put Caroline and Kimmie at the same event.(Remember Caroline hoping to get Kimmie's autograph last year?)

I think this will be the year S/S will establish themselves as the top pair.

morninglight

On the Ice
I would be as pleased as punch if Mai Asada broke through as a contender this year but that may be a dream. American fans really liked her last year so it's nice that she's coming back.

Yes, she is very elegant. I heard that she got injured recently and couldn't perform at a recent gala event at her home univ. I hope she gets better soon!

passion

On the Ice
Wow! Zhang has moved up to seniors now. I can't wait to see her and see how she does. I expect she might make a bronze medal. I think she will add zest to the competitions. I am really look forward to her debut.

I see strategy on the part of Skate Canada by putting Mira in a more low key event where she has a greater chance of doing well. I suspect she can maybe get a bronze in the France competition and definitely top six in the SA competition.

Rochette got 3 events! They can do that?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see strategy on the part of Skate Canada by putting Mira in a more low key event where she has a greater chance of doing well. I suspect she can maybe get a bronze in the France competition and definitely top six in the SA competition.

Canada didn't "put" Mira into her events. Mira was invited to those events by the host countries.

In France, she's facing Asada, Sawada, Meier and Meissner, and Jr Worlds bronze medalist Ashley Wagner as well. I don't see any bronze medal capability for Mira there. I'm not even sure Mira could beat Valentina Marchei, who finished 5th at Euros and 11th at Worlds.

6th at SA might be doable, but Mira has a lot to prove after her dismal performances at Worlds. For sure, she will not beat Ando, Hughes, Meissner and Zhang, and she is going to have to beat two of Mai Asada, Kiira Korpi, Valentina Marchei and/or Elene Gedevanishvili. Two of them beat Mira at 2006 SA, and three of them beat her at 2007 Worlds.

Rochette got 3 events! They can do that?

I see only two: Skate Canada and Cup of Russia.

somebody else wrote that, I just pick it up. The Amercians did get some 3 places in the GPs besides SA.

I would imagine they will have to name the two that they will be used for scoring totals.