OLY Practice Cam Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

OLY Practice Cam Chat

reneerose

Final Flight
Ok what the freak. I flipped to downhill training runs because I was so annoyed with this mess and they get international commentary (though still with freaking commercials). NBC why can’t we have nice things? 🥲🥲🥲
Maybe they are playing around with different feeds. I'm jealous.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Gotta skip on this one... can you report on James-Radford if they show up... apparently there was a crash with Matteo... and James was in pain.
NBC video of the crash (may be geoblocked) https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/collision-mars-pairs-practice-skate

From watching:
I think it's DM/G's music playing, so it should've been their right of way?

Vanessa and Eric were performing a lift while Nicole and Matteo were going backwards, marking their throw. Nicole glanced over her shoulder and in the split second she spotted them, managed to dodge clear but Eric (with Vanessa in the air) crashed into Matteo which brought all 3 of them down.
It would appear that Vanessa hurt her hip/leg, she looked to be in pain. The medics came on with a board, but she managed to skate off the ice with their support. Matteo and Eric had a discussion/argument, Matteo was clearly upset.

I hope all the skaters involved are okay!

ETA: pictures from Jackie Wong (and non-geoblocked video if you scroll down the thread). He's spoken to both teams and they are okay but a bit shaken.
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1490277825529610241

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah.. video is geoblocked for me... thanks for the description.. i think i prefer not to watch it anyways.. SIGH can the Canadian team get a break ?

Sk8swan

On the Ice

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
yeah.. video is geoblocked for me... thanks for the description.. i think i prefer not to watch it anyways.. SIGH can the Canadian team get a break ?
No worries, I guessed it wouldn't be available in many places.
It would have to be 2 of the teams with ongoing/lots of past injuries wouldn't it? I'm glad that all of them seem to be okay, crashes in pairs and ice dance are always the scariest to me.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Saw Shoma, Nathan, and Cha practicing (on Peacock) early this a.m. There is another men's practice scheduled tomorrow at 1:05 a.m. Eastern time. Same thing - Peacock.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's a basic rule for the skaters to give the way to those skating the runthrough and for such high level skaters there is no excuse for not respecting that. Matteo was upset and rightly so tbh expecially cause it wasn't the first time it happened (as you can hear Nicole voice saying in Italian "it's the 3rd time")
i have heard that basic rule for the skaters to give the way... and that's fine... just so we have basic rules on the road, yet there are crashes every day. My driving instructor used to tell me : it takes mistakes by two drivers for a collision to happen. I have a hard time with people trying to fault either team here when such things happen in skating practices. Nobody wishes that to their worst enemy. Especially not at the Olympics. I am relieved that they James and Radford seem okay to compete today and that Nicole and Matteo are not hurt. That's the first time I am happy with pairs being the last event at the games. May it give some more time to these two teams to heal their bruises and their potential nerves from these incidents.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
i have heard that basic rule for the skaters to give the way... and that's fine... just so we have basic rules on the road, yet there are crashes every day. My driving instructor used to tell me : it takes mistakes by two drivers for a collision to happen. I have a hard time with people trying to fault either team here when such things happen in skating practices. Nobody wishes that to their worst enemy. Especially not at the Olympics. I am relieved that they James and Radford seem okay to compete today and that Nicole and Matteo are not hurt. That's the first time I am happy with pairs being the last event at the games. May it give some more time to these two teams to heal their bruises and their potential nerves from these incidents.
Sorry but the example of two drivers having the same amount of responsability doesn't really fit this case... it's more like one driver driving the wrong direction and the other one going the right direction and having no way out. What's the fault of the one driving the right direction... driving the car itself?
Anyway, we agree luckily none was injured and that they have quite some days to rest and heal the bruises before the competition

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry but the example of two drivers having the same amount of responsability doesn't really fit this case... it's more like one driver driving the wrong direction and the other one going the right direction and having no way out. What's the fault of the one driving the right direction... driving the car itself?
Anyway, we agree luckily none was injured and that they have quite some days to rest and heal the bruises before the competition
this is where my driving instructor would say "you know, here, even if you have priority of passage, it does happen often that some people will make a mistake about it.. it's up to you to make sure that you engage in a safe path" As i said, yes, it takes two to collide. I am not trying to excuse anyone's behaviour here... I am just saying that even when your music is on, if you don't want to collide with anyone, then you gotta be aware of your surroundings... Someone could inadvertently trip right in front of you and you better not be skating all over them... It takes two to collide... agree to disagree on this.. I know that in the skating world, what you are saying is a basic rule... it's been said so many times... and why is it a common saying? It's because these accidents happen way too often.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Vanessa and Matteo had a crash in practice at Worlds 2019 (when she was skating with Cipres). Then there was another collision between Vanessa/Eric and Nicole/Matteo a few days ago in practice. This is the third time. The video of this, shows that Vanessa/Eric were not exercising the proper standard of care, to get out of the way of the team whose music is being played. I am glad that Vanessa (and everyone else) is not seriously injured, but any sympathy I might have for her is diminished by the fact that she seems to be involved quite often in collisions.....which points to either oblivious skating or over aggressiveness.

Tally

Rinkside
Yuzuru in the men’s practice now, finally! Looking good. The amount of cameras on him in a simple practice is mind-boggling…

Tally

Rinkside
Oh man… looks like he’s warming up the 4A. Triple with an extra planned rotation on ice. I’m scared.

Tally

Rinkside
He's used to it.
That was a rough practice though. So many <4A attempts and then flukes on other jumps. I wish he’d focus on the gold medal instead of the quad… it’s not looking very secure at all.