Olympic roommates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic roommates

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was wondering myself whether the pairs especially were allowed to share rooms.

For the Summers Olympics in (I think) London, our Australian team stuck so staunchly to their “same-sex ONLY” roommate policy that a husband & wife who were both on the team for shooting were not allowed to room together.
It was front page news, the married couple not being allowed to share a room.
Whether our committee relented, I’m not sure.

It is interesting to think of who’s rooming with who. I like the idea of not having people competing against one another in the same room unless they actually request it, because that could get mighty awkward!
Pairs, I don’t know...do they normally room together? Do they like time away from each other?

I wonder too how much age comes into it - obviously everyone is ok for the under 18’s to be with adults providing gender is the same?

Hmm remember what happened in RiO with that Brazillian synchro diving team who shared a room with her synchro partner and kicked her so she could have sexual relationships with a fellow male gymnast I believe or something like that. Good roommates are important. The kicked out partner did not sleep well andthey were dead last and the partner said she wants to dive singles only lol. Good roomies are key regardless of gender.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm all for unusual discussions, but isn't it a bit strange discussing who is rooming with whom? And whether a married couple get to share a room??

LOL, I hear you. But this is GS. We have people talking about guys bodies,clothes, butts, fitting of clothes, skin etc that surely would be politically improper if it were a women. We argue about hair cuts, outfits, music. We ooh and ah about Yuzuru's pooh bears. We have more discussions about commentators than some skaters. WE are passionate about our favorites and we diss those we don't like as though we know these people personally with a disregard for life.Nothing is that unusual to discuss.:)

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Hmm remember what happened in RiO with that Brazillian synchro diving team who shared a room with her synchro partner and kicked her so she could have sexual relationships with a fellow male gymnast I believe or something like that. Good roommates are important. The kicked out partner did not sleep well andthey were dead last and the partner said she wants to dive singles only lol. Good roomies are key regardless of gender.

Whaaaat??? omgggg that’s awful!! Talk about the very definition of bad roommate!! Geez!

Yeah I don’t think this topic is weird, it’s actually pretty imperative to performance (especially if you’ve got a roomie like the one you mentioned lol 😳).
I know Aly Raisman found it hard at first to return to her shared room with Jordyn Weiber after she’d beaten her out for the AA final in Rio. I’ve roomed at far-from Olympic level competitions with people who’ve been “on” and it made my being “off” all the worse.

Plus there are things to consider such as nap times - I know the gymnastics teams factor that in when assigning rooms.

Given that there’s been meets where gastric illness have run rampant and roommates have - as told to me with a look of pure PTSD in their eyes - been up all night pre-Como alternating holding their heads over their shared toilet, one would hope each skating fed would book a spare room for a skater “just in case”.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... one would hope each skating fed would book a spare room for a skater “just in case”.

For U.S. skaters at 2018 OWG:

If someone needs "personal space" (for example, because of illness or a need for "quiet time" away from shared rooms in the Olympic Village), it is available in the hotel(s) where USFS personnel have set up temporary headquarters for 2018 OWG.

Not sure, but I would guess that the temporary USFS HQ is somewhere in/near Gangneung? As opposed to hours away at the USFS alternate training site.​

And I would guess that USFS cannot offer this type of contingency to skaters at every competition? Maybe only for OWG.

On social media, Maia has referred to Alexa as Olympic "roommate," but still not clear whether that means they are only in the same suite or also in the same bedroom.

With the exception of one post, I don't think the discussion in this thread has been weird.
And BTW, the topic of roommates has been of interest also to some people commenting on Maia's Instagram post and tweet.

Button's Niece

On the Ice
I thought Tanith made some comments about them sharing the same room and that Johnny decorated the place for her but I suppose it is possible they shared the same flat with a common room or ratherseparate bedrooms. Who cares really. I think it would be cool if the randomly drew same sex roommates from allover the world but I can see problems too.

I remember there was a fluff piece on this. USFSA was allotted 3 singles and had 3 requests for singles: Tanith, Johnny and Evan. Two of the singles were in a suite. Since Evan and Johnny were not-particularly-friendly rivals, having them share the suite was deemed awkward. Ditto Tanith and Evan because of their romantic history (this info was provided by Tanith), so Tanith and Johnny shared the suite.

[Now off to find some wine to kill off the brain cells I'm apparently currently wasting remembering a fluff piece from 8 years ago.]

GrandmaCC

On the Ice

If someone needs "personal space" (for example, because of illness or a need for "quiet time" away from shared rooms in the Olympic Village), it is available in the hotel(s) where USFS personnel have set up temporary headquarters for 2018 OWG.

Not sure, but I would guess that the temporary USFS HQ is somewhere in/near Gangneung? As opposed to hours away at the USFS alternate training site.​

And I would guess that USFS cannot offer this type of contingency to skaters at every competition? Maybe only for OWG.

On social media, Maia has referred to Alexa as Olympic "roommate," but still not clear whether that means they are only in the same suite or also in the same bedroom.

With the exception of one post, I don't think the discussion in this thread has been weird.
And BTW, the topic of roommates has been of interest also to some people commenting on Maia's Instagram post and tweet.

Oh that’s good to know, thank you for the info!!

I read a piece today that was talking about how Mirai ran into Adam’s room to wake him up the morning after they’d got their bronze medals, so just thought I’d put that out there as a bit of additional proof that they’re not actually in the same bedroom lol.

Does anyone know where the coaches are staying?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I think they arranged something for Joannie and Tessa in 2010 when Joannie's mom died and Tessa was still to compete (well poor Joannie was also just starting her competition.

icedance

On the Ice
According to Anna Cappellini’s Instagram story her roommate is Valentina Marchei :noshake:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Meagan Duhamel said several thing about the rooming situation on her TSL interview.

From what I could gather:

- there were four-bedroom suites, with each skater having their own bedroom
- Canada put all the female skaters, except Meagan, into two suites
- because there were 9 female skaters, Meagan roomed with the coaches
- she really enjoyed being with the coaches
- the doping control people aren't allowed to ask for the athlete they want, but have to ask "who is here" and then stop when the person at the door gets to the right name. I guess that's so the roommates can't alert the selected athlete, if they're not there, but it seems kind of juvenile.
- Josee Picard has a wicked sense of humour, playing with them by naming all the coaches in the suite before she'd name Meagan, who was obviously who they'd come for
- the athletes (at least the Canadians) are allowed to stay for the whole Olympics, but the coaches have to leave a day (or maybe two?) after their athletes are finished
- Bruno was in the same suite as Meagan, but had to go home. Marie France (and Patrice?) are there now, and Meghan is enjoying hanging out with her/them

And unrelated to the (athlete) roommate situation: Meagan is busy coaching Ryom and Kim for worlds, as they are all there until the exhibition but the coaches have been turfed out.