overly pronated right foot - need new skates? fitter recommendation? | Golden Skate

overly pronated right foot - need new skates? fitter recommendation?

itonya

Spectator
Coming out from lurking to seek some help. My right foot is the bane of my existence for skating since it overly pronates compared to the left side. Let me chronicle the cumulative things I've done to make it work:😅
  1. I got my right skate shimmed and the blade moved completely over as possible and got the yellow superfeet which helped a little as well as Protle Ankle Sleeves
  2. Then, I've seen a Certified Pedorthist who made me a heel post insert underneeth my superfeet as well as a pigskin insert to put on the right side of my ankle which helped a bit more but the pigskin insert kept sliding out of my skate onto the ice.
  3. Then, I read another forum about arch cookies so I got the Pedag balance one. and use it in my right foot. I also bought the large Bunga gel dic 4" that I'm pretty sure actually are meant for knees But i put two of them together and put it where the pigskin insert was supposed to be. And that helped a bit more. But my skates never stay tight on my right foot as they do on my left despite getting new laces every month.
  4. While waiting for the Edea laces to come in, I then tried Derby Core laces and wowie those are super secure but again, the right foot still doesn't feel the same as the left foot and since I already ordered a crap ton of Edea laces I have to make them work somehow.
  5. I saw this lacing technique on a different forum and it definitely helped so much. https://skatingforums.com/index.php...davjoti1vdfjlrm6&topic=7810.msg93564#msg93564
  6. Finally I used my old derby lace over the Edea ones on the right ankle with the same lacing technique but always looping over to use up the lace and AT LAST i finally found a solution. It totally works!

Problem is, it now takes me at least 30 minutes to put on my skates. And that's not including putting on my protective pads. My coach says I need new skates and had me try on her custom Avantas + Phantom blades and since we were briefly trying it on at the beginning of the next session that i didn't pay for, we didn't really tie it up all that tight, but ironically I actually feel so secure on those blades.

I'm an adult skater that's been skating since Dec. 2017 so nearly 5 years now. I've only been seriously financially investing in my skating for a little over a year since September 2021(The pandemic convinced me to stop being so frugal and throw everything into skating). And what I mean by that, I now skate 3 times a week for 2 sessions, each 1hr 20minutes. The first sessions is for synchro and the second session is a private lesson. Currently working on single loop and sit spin. I'm F, 125lbs, 5'7", 28yrs old. Apparently I have wide feet(this is from measuring my own feet and looking at internet guides for width no fitter said I was a wide foot though) but I've never worn wide for anything, on or off the ice. The width is from the flat feet from over pronation probably.

My first pair of skates were Riedell Emeralds that were two sizes too big. Loved them before i knew they were 2 sizes too big. Had them from Dec.2017 - Oct 2021.

My second and current pair of skates are the Edea Wave + the Coronation Ace blades.

I'm currently interested in trying Risport but my coach thinks I should do customs given how much of an issue I have with just one particular foot. I'm also itching to get the Phantom blades because of how much more secure I felt trying her boots even though the boots were very loose but I know that technically is above my level. But if anyone has any insight why I feel way more secure on the Phantom than the Coronation Ace and if there are any blades out there with similar properties that are closer to my level, would love to know.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated or if you know anyone on the East Coast I could talk to, I'm located in NYC. Thank you so much for your time!!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I suspect you feel more secure on the Phantoms because they are longer at the back. ;-) I'll never forget the day I moved from Coronation Ace to Phantoms. Heavenly for edge work. Absolutely loved them. But I was quite a high level skater by that time.

itonya

Spectator
Heavenly is exactly the feeling I had when I immediately set foot on the ice which is crazy given how insecure my ankle was. Do you know any other blades that are longer in the back?

2sk8

Rinkside
Coming out from lurking to seek some help. My right foot is the bane of my existence for skating since it overly pronates compared to the left side. Let me chronicle the cumulative things I've done to make it work:😅
  1. I got my right skate shimmed and the blade moved completely over as possible and got the yellow superfeet which helped a little as well as Protle Ankle Sleeves
  2. Then, I've seen a Certified Pedorthist who made me a heel post insert underneeth my superfeet as well as a pigskin insert to put on the right side of my ankle which helped a bit more but the pigskin insert kept sliding out of my skate onto the ice.
  3. Then, I read another forum about arch cookies so I got the Pedag balance one. and use it in my right foot. I also bought the large Bunga gel dic 4" that I'm pretty sure actually are meant for knees But i put two of them together and put it where the pigskin insert was supposed to be. And that helped a bit more. But my skates never stay tight on my right foot as they do on my left despite getting new laces every month.
  4. While waiting for the Edea laces to come in, I then tried Derby Core laces and wowie those are super secure but again, the right foot still doesn't feel the same as the left foot and since I already ordered a crap ton of Edea laces I have to make them work somehow.
  5. I saw this lacing technique on a different forum and it definitely helped so much. https://skatingforums.com/index.php...davjoti1vdfjlrm6&topic=7810.msg93564#msg93564
  6. Finally I used my old derby lace over the Edea ones on the right ankle with the same lacing technique but always looping over to use up the lace and AT LAST i finally found a solution. It totally works!

Problem is, it now takes me at least 30 minutes to put on my skates. And that's not including putting on my protective pads. My coach says I need new skates and had me try on her custom Avantas + Phantom blades and since we were briefly trying it on at the beginning of the next session that i didn't pay for, we didn't really tie it up all that tight, but ironically I actually feel so secure on those blades.

I'm an adult skater that's been skating since Dec. 2017 so nearly 5 years now. I've only been seriously financially investing in my skating for a little over a year since September 2021(The pandemic convinced me to stop being so frugal and throw everything into skating). And what I mean by that, I now skate 3 times a week for 2 sessions, each 1hr 20minutes. The first sessions is for synchro and the second session is a private lesson. Currently working on single loop and sit spin. I'm F, 125lbs, 5'7", 28yrs old. Apparently I have wide feet(this is from measuring my own feet and looking at internet guides for width no fitter said I was a wide foot though) but I've never worn wide for anything, on or off the ice. The width is from the flat feet from over pronation probably.

My first pair of skates were Riedell Emeralds that were two sizes too big. Loved them before i knew they were 2 sizes too big. Had them from Dec.2017 - Oct 2021.

My second and current pair of skates are the Edea Wave + the Coronation Ace blades.

I'm currently interested in trying Risport but my coach thinks I should do customs given how much of an issue I have with just one particular foot. I'm also itching to get the Phantom blades because of how much more secure I felt trying her boots even though the boots were very loose but I know that technically is above my level. But if anyone has any insight why I feel way more secure on the Phantom than the Coronation Ace and if there are any blades out there with similar properties that are closer to my level, would love to know.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated or if you know anyone on the East Coast I could talk to, I'm located in NYC. Thank you so much for your time!!
30 minutes to put on your skates! Needs a solution for sure :) I can make a couple of specific suggestions for qulified fitters in the NYC area. Drop me a DM if you want.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I suspect you feel more secure on the Phantoms because they are longer at the back. ;-) I'll never forget the day I moved from Coronation Ace to Phantoms. Heavenly for edge work. Absolutely loved them. But I was quite a high level skater by that time.
MK Gold Star are longer, too. I'm pretty certain John Wilson Gold Seal are, although I've never tried them. They're all over-blading for your level by a long way.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hi and welcome! :)

I'm a pronator and have been my whole long skating career, you may need a custom to semi custom boot, but since I can't see your feet I cannot tell you 100% for sure.
I will tell you that if you have been fine in Edea and Riedell in the past, then you more than likely are NOT a wide width. You could try Risport at a fitter and see how you like them. I have a pro fitter/tech in the NY area I would suggest to you if you want to DM me. :)

Good luck!

itonya

Spectator
Thank you all for your responses and for the fitter recommendations. I met up with a former PT at my rink and she had me do some tests with my insert on the regular ground and we realized that I am more unstable with superfeet than without. So this morning, I ripped my insoles from my Nike running shoes and pulled out the Superfeet and WOW what a difference. It was the same feeling I got putting on my coaches skates. I had attributed to her Phantom blades, but no the reason I felt so secure in her boots even though the ankle was so freaking loose was because her skates didn't have Superfeet. I've been skating with Super Feet for nearly a year and with them gone, while my pronation was still pronounced, my skating got tons better and my edges deeper. Since the Nike insoles were very thin, I swapped them out for my old New Balance trainers insoles that had better pronation support and I'll try them out Thursday. But it was Super feet that was causing all the issues!!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm glad you kind of figured out the issue! You might want to talk to an Orthopedist about heel inserts for your pronation/supination issues. I have worn them in my boots for decades now (not the same pair of course LOL!). They help with my supination.

itonya

Spectator
Figured I update everyone but I GOT NEW SKATES!!!! EDEA Flamenco!! I walked in wanting a Risport Royal Pro but they didn’t have my size in stock. He then put me in the Edea Ice Fly which I honestly did not like. It felt like a Jackson boot where there just too much pressure all around my foot. Then we tried a Risport dance boot which I can’t remember the model but I was in love with the low cut back for easier toe pointing. He also humored me and let me try the Riedell Vega which was fine initially until I tried bending and holy moly that tongue was so uncomfortable and painful.

Then one of the skate techs suggested trying on the Edea Flamenco since I loved the dance boot by Risport and I was so blown away by how the Flamenco feels different. I should say the Ice Fly and definitely felt tighter than my Wave probably because of the stiffness but I didn’t get a good heel lock. The microfiber made it easy to slip my foot in but that also meant my foot was wriggling about. Whereas the flamenco, the lining is suede like so there was a bit of friction getting the foot in but once it was in, it was LOCKED. And since blades were out of stock in my size, I poached the old coronation Ace blades from my Edea Wave.

Instead of shimming the blade and moving it off the side like what a different place did with the Wave, this s skate tech really emphasize on fixing stuff in the boot. So we swapped out the insoles for Sidas Comfort insoles. He also validated my issues with super feet by showing me an older model that used to be good but now their newer models don’t work well for figure skates.

I still needed my pedorthist’s heel post and a gel pad right above my right ankle but hey at least I don’t need to worry about two laces on the right foot.

I just skated in them this morning and at first I tied them too tight and my arches were burning so I really loosened the toes and the top. Even with it not tied up tight my ankle has never felt so locked in and secure before and it’s an amazing feeling. My arches still aches but only when I apply pressure so I think I just need to get used to the insoles a bit more. But I am able to still glide straight even though I was used to having my blade shimmed. My jumps are a lot better already and I feel very secure. I essentially doubled the stiffness from the Wave to the Flamenco so even though they say you shouldn’t jump in dance boots, it’s comparatively better. And honestly the low cut back is so great and it makes it much easier to break in. I have a holiday show in less than a week so this was super risky since I have no back up skates now but even on the first day, I was able to run it much better than when I was in the Wave.

Other things I noticed with just the boot change is that my edges are roaring much louder.

Anyways this might lead me to be more invested in synchro stuff than freestyle.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm glad that you like your new boots and may go in the direction of synchro. :)
I'm still :scratch2: at why you were going in for elite level boots that are way too stiff for someone of your skill level.

And I'm just going to leave that roaring edges thing alone.

itonya

Spectator
Oops I misspoke, I meant going in for Risport Royal Pro!!! Will correct it and the fitter was suggesting the Ice Fly 😅 and I had no idea what level was the Flamenco when I tried it as I wasn’t looking for dance boots

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oops I misspoke, I meant going in for Risport Royal Pro!!! Will correct it and the fitter was suggesting the Ice Fly 😅 and I had no idea what level was the Flamenco when I tried it as I wasn’t looking for dance boots
Whew! That's good to know LOL!:laugh: