Peter Oppegard suspended | Golden Skate

Peter Oppegard suspended

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This was reported last year, although not the suspension obviously:

And she was *15* years old. So very troubling.:mad:
Right. I went back and looked at last year's discussion. Now USA today came out with this today this afternoon. Frankly, a grown man biting a 15 year old girl should have greater ramifications, especially since with witnesses, this was a slam dunk. I understand it is hard for many kids and parents to report such things...look at how long the Larry Nassar abuse went on.....but we need to do better......no kid should be abused physically or mentally or 2, 13 year old girls sent pictures of private parts from an adult. Over the border in Idaho, there is a 59 year old man in jail on $1 million dollar bond because he posed as a 15 year old guy on social media and got over 100 girls to send him inappropriate pics of themselves and their parts. I need to go take a shower now. :frown:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What I read is that we don't know the length of the suspension. I hope the skaters recover and Mr. Oppegard gets the help he needs. I feel for his family though estranged. I hope they are provided for during these difficult times.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This was a big deal here in Cal. What upset me was that they used a photo of Nathan Chen as "Click Bait" to get people to read the article. Several people complained and now it has a short clip on Christine Brennen and Nathan's photo has been taken down.

What I read is that we don't know the length of the suspension.

An update of the article says:

"U.S. Figure Skating’s website said Oppegard was suspended for one month. SafeSport's disciplinary database listed the misconductas "physical & emotional.” In addition to the suspension, Oppegard must undergo “education” and “probation” for an unspecified length of time, and has been issued “no contact directive(s),” according to the SafeSport database."

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This was a big deal here in Cal. What upset me was that they used a photo of Nathan Chen as "Click Bait" to get people to read the article. Several people complained and now it has a short clip on Christine Brennen and Nathan's photo has been taken down.
Sadly, the internet if full of false representations of content to get clicks. There is a guy on youtube who does a show called "Cruise News" or "Cruising with Don" something like that who is famous for that. His latest click bait is "Problems with Alaska Cruising" I am leaving in three days for an Alaska cruise so I clicked on his spiel. He goes on to tell what wonderful things Holland America Line is doing for its crews and pax to celebrate 150 years of cruising ....then he mentions that vendors in Alaska are having problems getting people to work, which is true in all 50 states. :cautious:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Do what? He BIT Jessica? That’s crazy.
If you read el henry's link, there is more info....throwing hot coffee???? Really?
1. This kind of behavior doesnt appear overnight nor go away overnight. Unless its a tumor.
2. The punishment was way too weak.
3. Wouldnt you just love to have a beer with Karen Kwan for an hour and see how surprised she is? I wish the best for her and hope the media doesnt hound her. :frown:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What I read is that we don't know the length of the suspension. I hope the skaters recover and Mr. Oppegard gets the help he needs. I feel for his family though estranged. I hope they are provided for during these difficult times.
I am going to take a wild guess and say that Karen Kwan at least doesnt have to worry about money for living and raising kids. Olivia and Sophia look pretty grown up in pics. I think Olivia is a gymnist on a scholorship to the U of WA and is 18 years old. I hope the media leaves both kids alone.

fenway3

On the Ice
Biting a skater?? :eek: Any coach who would do such a thing needs serious help.

And let me get this straight—after this physical assault, Jessica's mother allowed her to continue being a student of Oppegard's for about a year? 🤯

Sounds like the mother could use some help as well. :oops: They should've immediately reported the incident to the police and never gotten anywhere near Oppegard again.

Just curious—did Jessica's dad ever learn about the incident?

As for the one-month "suspension," complete lunacy. 🤪

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

"U.S. Figure Skating’s website said Oppegard was suspended for one month. SafeSport's disciplinary database listed the misconductas "physical & emotional.” In addition to the suspension, Oppegard must undergo “education” and “probation” for an unspecified length of time, and has been issued “no contact directive(s),” according to the SafeSport database."
So, for BITING a minor he gets a ridiculously brief one month suspension in the off-season when it doesn't mean a thing? Outrageous. He should get 30 days in jail for biting someone IMO. I don't really keep up with high level skating anymore, such as coaching situations, but many of my friends do adult skating. Their perspective isn't from an "elite" standpoint, but seriously, how could Oppegard get away with all his abuse for so long??? If any of my friends witnessed such abuse, they would report it. Heck, *I* would report it, starting with law enforcement. What is he on to think he could treat anyone like that? And why would any students/parents tolerate it? Very discouraging.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think there is probably info we are not privy to - like why didn't Jessica's mother press charges? And what was the rationale behind such a lame suspension? If someone chomped on my child you can bet I would be placing a call to the police. What on earth was this caveman thinking.....

macy

Record Breaker

this is unacceptable.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, for BITING a minor he gets a ridiculously brief one month suspension in the off-season when it doesn't mean a thing? Outrageous. He should get 30 days in jail for biting someone IMO. I don't really keep up with high level skating anymore, such as coaching situations, but many of my friends do adult skating. Their perspective isn't from an "elite" standpoint, but seriously, how could Oppegard get away with all his abuse for so long??? If any of my friends witnessed such abuse, they would report it. Heck, *I* would report it, starting with law enforcement. What is he on to think he could treat anyone like that? And why would any students/parents tolerate it? Very discouraging.

This punishment is ridiculous. Biting, throwing hot coffee, they are physical assaults, and deserve a sterner punishment.

As for why it doesn't get reported, there could be many reasons. Some may be willing to put up with abuse thinking that a gold medal would be an acceptable payoff.

In an article on thespun.com, it says:

Pfund said the marks persisted for about a week. She asked her mother, who also corroborated the story to Brennan and called the bite marks "obvious," not to talk about Oppegard's actions "because every time she would try, everything would get worse with him, our lessons and the criticism would get worse."

Pfund also said they were worried about what could happen to Oppegard's wife at the time, Karen Kwan, and their two daughters.

So not only was the skater afraid of getting more abuse from him if it was spoken about, she was also worried about the repercussions for his wife and daughters. With Karen being the sister of Michelle Kwan, the spotlight could be even brighter, which would possibly add to their fears.

I hope that anyone who dealt with this kind of abuse from him is getting the support and help that they need.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sorry - but again, if someone bit my child or threw hot coffee at them, someone who was in a position of power and was an adult who should know better, that would be my priority - and suffice to say we would be looking for a new coach. Was figure skating more important to her mother? To allow her to stay in that situation is unacceptable!!! As far as Karen Kwan and her 2 children, that is not Mrs. Pfund's responsibility. I just find this whole thing odd.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry - but again, if someone bit my child or threw hot coffee at them, someone who was in a position of power and was an adult who should know better, that would be my priority - and suffice to say we would be looking for a new coach. Was figure skating more important to her mother? To allow her to stay in that situation is unacceptable!!! As far as Karen Kwan and her 2 children, that is not Mrs. Pfund's responsibility. I just find this whole thing odd.

I agree with you. We don't know the mom was thinking. If anyone was abusing a child of mine, I would be taking care of that situation that day.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I can only hope that the damage to his career will put an end to his coaching. I can't imagine any skater hiring him after this huge scandal.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
It sounds that Oppegard is having either personality disorder or mental disfunction. Even sudden and uncontrollable disbalance in brains-like an old brain injury for example- can cause something similar. It is not a behavior of normally functioning man.

Last edited: