Peter Oppegard suspended | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Peter Oppegard suspended

mrrice

Record Breaker
It sounds that Oppegard is having either personality disorder or mental disfunction. Even sudden and uncontrollable disbalance in brains can cause something similar. like some old brain injury. It is not a behavior of normally functioning man.
I guess it's possible that he's suffering the effects of a CTE injury from a previous concussion. What ever the problem might be, I still don't believe he should be coaching any skater under the age of 18 for the rest of his career. There are other places he can use his talent where children are not involved. Cruise Ships, and Amusement Parks, and even places like Vegas and Branson.

fenway3

On the Ice
What ever the problem might be, I still don't believe he should be coaching any skater under the age of 18 for the rest of his career.

Exactly. I mean, let's say he has a medical problem and he sometimes gets urges to do violent things like biting people. Is he responsible for uncontrollable random thoughts that may just pop into his head? No. However, he is responsible for acting out these urges on other people. If he knew he had a problem, then he should've stepped away from coaching until the problem could potentially be resolved—in order not to endanger others.

Anyway, I agree—he should never be allowed to coach minors again. 🚫

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm sorry - but again, if someone bit my child or threw hot coffee at them, someone who was in a position of power and was an adult who should know better, that would be my priority - and suffice to say we would be looking for a new coach. Was figure skating more important to her mother? To allow her to stay in that situation is unacceptable!!! As far as Karen Kwan and her 2 children, that is not Mrs. Pfund's responsibility. I just find this whole thing odd.
I think of this situation as similar to if your kid came home from school with a bite mark on her and she said her teacher did it to her. Hmm, what do you do next? Well, I would contact the school's principal first. Did they contact the rink owners? (I know the owners are his wife's parents). They should at least know that one of their star coaches, even if family, is biting and throwing hot coffee on their minor students. I feel badly for the Kwans.... how do you get rid of a maniac like that??? I can only imagine what he's like in private. Poor Karen....

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
I guess it's possible that he's suffering the effects of a CTE injury from a previous concussion. What ever the problem might be, I still don't believe he should be coaching any skater under the age of 18 for the rest of his career. There are other places he can use his talent where children are not involved. Cruise Ships, and Amusement Parks, and even places like Vegas and Branson.
Yes, indeed, it could be from the repeated concussions, too. In such a case, it does not happens immediately, but much latter, after years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Or, how about this, he's just another entitled man who thinks he can treat women and girls however he wants because he is the "king" and they should obey him.

Much more common, much more likely than whatever excuse guff people are coming up with to defend the indefensible.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Or, how about this, he's just another entitled man who thinks he can treat women and girls however he wants because he is the "king" and they should obey him.

Much more common, much more likely than whatever excuse guff people are coming up with to defend the indefensible.
I don't think anyone here is "Defending" his behavior. I'm suggesting he choose another way to make a living as I can't imagine any skater will hire him after this scandal. However, I don't think his life should come to an end. He has children who he needs to support and since I think his coaching career is over, I think he needs to look elsewhere if he's ever going to get himself out of the huge hole he's dug for himself.

Last edited: