Plushenko intends to restart career | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko intends to restart career

padme21

On the Ice
He needs to just stay retired and move on. He retired with dignity why undo that? If he wants to get back into competitive figure skating then by all means he should go for it but only as a coach not a competitor! With he multiple surgeries and health in question this has got to be the most insane thing I've ever heard!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Is this article really news, or is it just rehashing old things for views? I mean, it says the 2016 European Championships are in Barcelona... and I don't think they are. And yet that part (about going to Europeans) is the only new thing in there. Makes the whole thing look like a hack job.

Alternatively, he saw what happened at Europeans this year and has decided to return once every year for free medals.

Besides his myriad injuries, he really never mastered the COP like the younger skaters who have skated under it their whole careers. I don't think he'll be pleased with his results. I wish he'd throw his energy into creating a yearly professional competition in Russia instead.
While this is true if you compare him to the Japanese or even American skaters, the other Russian skaters have hardly mastered COP either. Voronov, Kovtun, and Pitkeev aren't really more COP-friendly than Plushenko at this point.

:rock: Michelle's next!
:love: :shocked: :slink: :laugh:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
His yoyo 2010-2014 did display some real problems with consistency because of bad injuries and procedures and even fixes! Like everyone knows at 2014 Russian nationals fs he couldn't buy a triple axel! He has to use his ultra legend status and reputation to get assignments. But just like pre sochi he did do a small event that he won and mostly did all his elements. So he showed ability once but not russian nationals. Was that Volvo? I am not sure if he's physically capable! But if he wants to do a cup of Russia or Russian nationals like he has said its up to people to beat him not his job to retire. Maybe Russia judges won't give him like 100 in pcs for a free skate again. It's not pre sochi anymore.

This is Volvo open protocol November 2013

http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22th/ISU/SeniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Quad and triple axels and lutz and one doubled salchow

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
Yeah I have a lot of thoughts running through me about this one.

I haven't found his skating to be that dynamic since 2002, so selfishly, in terms of my own viewing pleasure my gut is saying "well if he's on the grand prix this year, I guess I know when I'll be refilling my chips and cocktail..."

I feel a little bit for the other Russian Men. They haven't been exactly hitting it out of the ballpark, but it can't be easy to be skating with the specter of Plushy around.

Then there's the part of me that wonders about his body and his health and what is really motivating this decision. He dealt with so much criticism when he withdrew in Sochi, if that happens again to him I can't imagine what that will be like. And yet, I fear that that might be the best case scenario. He withdraws of his own volition. The worst case scenario....

There's a slight part of me that feels like it's his body and his career and he has a right to do what he wants with them, but IDK.

QMATTERS

Rinkside
After what he did at the Olympics last year, I am not buying it. It was so bad that Russia had no male skater in the men's competition at the time, which was in Russia.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After what he did at the Olympics last year, I am not buying it. It was so bad that Russia had no male skater in the men's competition at the time, which was in Russia.

They should have had Kovtun on board in case something happened.

Poice

Final Flight
I read that he wants to take part in GPF in Barcelona. But he can't do that, right? He'll get only one GP assignment ( in Russia I guess), because of his World Ranking and not being on SB list. Am I right or am I missing something?

LRK

Record Breaker
I read that he wants to take part in GPF in Barcelona. But he can't do that, right? He'll get only one GP assignment ( in Russia I guess), because of his World Ranking and not being on SB list. Am I right or am I missing something?

I don't know as I'm not really well-versed in the rules - I'm sure someone else will be able to fill us in. But isn't there something about returning skaters? I thnk this is an option that can be used once only - and I don't think he has. But, as I said, I'm terribly fuzzy about these things, so hopefully someone else can bring some light on the issue.

Poice

Final Flight
I don't know as I'm not really well-versed in the rules - I'm sure someone else will be able to fill us in. But isn't there something about returning skaters? I thnk this is an option that can be used once only - and I don't think he has. But, as I said, I'm terribly fuzzy about these things, so hopefully someone else can bring some light on the issue.

I think he used this option already.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They should have had Kovtun on board in case something happened.

Not to reopen this can of worms, but no Russian man other than Plushenko was eligible to compete in the individual men's event at the Sochi Olympics -- b/c Plushenko skated in the team event. No alternate allowed for the individual men's event.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think he could maybe do a challenger series skate, then if it was high enough he could be eligible to get a last minute invite.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to reopen this can of worms, but no Russian man other than Plushenko was eligible to compete in the individual men's event at the Sochi Olympics -- b/c Plushenko skated in the team event. No alternate allowed for the individual men's event.

I understand.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No, the article says he wants to skate at 2016 Europeans... in Barcelona. :laugh2: Either you're right and Plushenko's stupid (though, see below), or--far, far more likely--Plushenko wants to go to Europeans and the article is stupid (well, the article is stupid either way, but you get my point).

I think he used this option already.
Has he though? In his return in '09-10, he skated at Cup of Russia only. Probably as a host pick. So the "returning skater" option hasn't been used yet, as far as I know.

LRK

Record Breaker
No, the article says he wants to skate at 2016 Europeans... in Barcelona. :laugh2: Either you're right and Plushenko's stupid (though, see below), or--far, far more likely--Plushenko wants to go to Europeans and the article is stupid (well, the article is stupid either way, but you get my point).

Has he though? In his return in '09-10, he skated at Cup of Russia only. Probably as a host pick. So the "returning skater" option hasn't been used yet, as far as I know.

I was going to say something about his intentions being Euros' - but then I came across this article:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/532351/plushenko-set-to-resume-ice-skating-career

"I'm planning to take part in the Grand Prix this autumn to win a place in the GP series final at Barcelona."

So, who knows, really? No doubt we'll see... :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Why not? If the other Russian guys remain wildly inconsistent there's really no reason why they wouldn't welcome Plushenko back.

In the article I linked to in my previous post:

"The president of Russia's figure skating federation Alexander Gorshkov spoke of his support for Plushenko's decision.

"He remains a national team member and naturally has the right to take part in the competitions," Gorshkov said.

"He has missed the post-Olympic year to have some rest but now the time to start preparations for the next season has come.

"But it will not be easy to pass all the necessary qualifications to win the right to represent Russia at the major competitions, even for such a great skater." "

But, again, time will tell what will happen, no doubt. :)